Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 482 total)
  • We Christians
  • FeeFoo
    Free Member

Again, look back through this thread and I think you’ll find it’s the non-believers who (not all of them I admit) generally come across as believing themselves to be superior and displaying it in an unpleasant way. Show me an example from this thread of someone Christian saying anything unpleasant or nasty please.

True dat.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

nasty snipey comment from one of the defenders of religion.

Whoa! Tenuous argument alert!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

This has popped up in my social network of choice today, more than once. Its worth a read: http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html

Live and let live and share the love around. There’s too much hate in the world already 🙂

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Why is it deemed a good thing to mock mercilessly and without sympathy. Amazingly hate-filled idea. So, because you believe God doesn’t exist anyone who does deserves to be, metaphorically speaking, spat upon?
    Lovely.

No you get me all wrong, there’s no hate here. Amusement, bafflement and pity? Lots. You believe that a fairy wizard lives in the clouds.

nick1962
    Free Member

Predjudice against homosexuals. No homosexual marriage, restrictions on abortion and contraception in many countries.
    Sunday trading hours

Where? How many Christian theocratic states are there?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sunday trading hours

Good point.

No doubt about it – that JC geezer’s got a lot to answer for.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

You believe that a fairy wizard lives in the clouds.

I don’t actually.

No you get me all wrong, there’s no hate here. Amusement, bafflement and pity? Lots

It’s a stance based on condescension. I find that quite nasty behaviour to your fellow man.

Cougar

You do your smileys upside down compared to everyone else. Sinner!

No, they’re left-handed.

Cougar

It’s a stance based on condescension. I find that quite nasty behaviour to your fellow man.

Both sides are certainly guilty of that.

kennyp
    Free Member

Predjudice against homosexuals. No homosexual marriage, restrictions on abortion and contraception in many countries.
    Sunday trading hours

They aren’t necessarily weird or arbitary. I’m not saying I necessarily agree with them, but societies are free to make their own laws and groups of people, both religious and not, have the right to lobby in favour of laws that they believe are for the benefit of said societies. As for the Sunday trading laws, well leaving aside any religious debate, is there really any need for us to have round the clock every day access to constant spending. What’s wrong with giving the shop employees at least one day a week to spend with their families. Is it too much to ask society to go 24 hours without using a credit card?

I find this very offensive indeed. It is a result of an assumption of moral superiority and its patronising to those of a rational mindset. offensive and unpleasant

Someone trying to do something nice for you (even if you disagree) and you find it very offensive? And you accuse them of assuming moral superiority and then use the phrase “to those of a rational midset” which is surely doing just the same?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yup – same as this

TJ Jesus died so that you may live, you might want to say thanks.

But dont worry regardless of what you do or who your are God loves you.

I find this unpleasant and patronising. The assumption of superiority from the “Christians” along with the prejudice they espouse is far more unpleasant than a bit of mockery,

How about a bit of do as you would be done by? or turning the other cheek?

How about keeping your religion between consenting adults in private

Edukator
    Free Member

A quote from the Bible to back that up please.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

KennyP

Yes – I find it offensive – And yes it does show an assumption of superiority I find most unpleasant. Its that assumption of superiority that leads to the prejudice religions engender.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I admit my stance is based on condescension. It’s the same stance I have on the Tooth Fairy or Santa or the Gruffalo. OK if you’re 5 years old, not OK if you’re an adult.

nick1962
    Free Member

You mean the Gruffalo isn’t real?

mogrim

No, they’re left-handed.

Hmm… sinister behaviour, that.

Cougar

is there really any need for us to have round the clock every day access to constant spending. What’s wrong with giving the shop employees at least one day a week to spend with their families. Is it too much to ask society to go 24 hours without using a credit card?

What’s wrong is, it mandates behaviour and removes the freedom of choice.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

I’m not out to win an argument here, I just (naively) think it’d be a nicer place to live if people didn’t feel the need to condescend.

It’s like laughing at trainspotters or model railway enthusiasts or mtbers.
    What purpose does it serve other than to fleetingly make you feel better about yourself.

It’s an empty life philosophy in my opinion.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

They don’t have churches/mosques/temples/synagogues down your way ?

Where do they do it ?

kennyp
    Free Member

Yes – I find it offensive – And yes it does show an assumption of superiority I find most unpleasant. Its that assumption of superiority that leads to the prejudice religions engender.

But TJ, you then went on to use the phrase

to those of a rational mindset

so surely that makes you equally guilty of an assumption of superiority?

oldnpastit

Perhaps because that’s not what the Bible teaches?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

A quote from the Bible to back that up please.

A few just for you Edukator

The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation.

Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; ‘For YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.’”

And Jesus said to him, “Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham

Therefore let it be known to you that the salvation of God has been sent to the Gentiles, and they will hear it!

For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ

kennyp
    Free Member

What’s wrong is, it mandates behaviour and removes the freedom of choice.

How exactly? Freedom to shop seven days a week is hardly a fundamental human right. I don’t see how letting shop employees have one day at home with their families is removing the freedom of choice?

leffeboy

As an experiment, why doesn’t someone on here who is gay go into one of the mainstream Christian churches, say that they are gay and see what sort of welcome they get.
    It’s my bet that they’ll be welcomed with open arms by the vast majority of the folk in the church who couldn’t give two hoots about their sexuality.

Just to reiterate what was said earlier, the gay and lesbian folks that I know that go to church are openly welcomed by the people there. Those I know that keep quiet about their homosexuality also do so outside of the church. Those who I know well take their faith seriously and the well known passages that have been mentioned already can be difficult to deal with – but they try rather than give up because it doesn’t match with what someone on the internet thinks Christianity is about.

gwaelod
    Free Member

“Wii Christians”

Great game idea….you can either play as the lion or the christian in this superb Coliseum simulation for all the family

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

FeeFoo – Member

I’m not out to win an argument here, I just (naively) think it’d be a nicer place to live if people didn’t feel the need to condescend.

good – then understand the condescending nature of

But dont worry regardless of what you do or who your are God loves you.

Keep religion in private please and don’t assume you are superior adn use that to be condescending to the rest of us

nick1962
    Free Member

And yes it does show an assumption of superiority I find most unpleasant. Its that assumption of superiority that leads to the prejudice religions engender.

I think that maybe an assumption too far TJ
    6 billion + people who follow a whole array of differing religions….
    But I know what you meant 🙂
    It’s people who make assumptions of superiority.It’s all about people really.

BTW What tyres for the Lion’s den?

Edukator
    Free Member

I can see nothing in your biblical quotes to support you statement, Steve. None of your quotes indicates that it is the death of Jesus that allows TJ to live.

Keep hunting.

leffeboy

Keep religion in private please

So there you go. Someone starts the usual thread knocking Christians, a few folk get frothy and then when someone dares to speak back they are told to keep their religion private 🙁

You are partly right TJ in that some religious folk can be preachy, over the top and judgemental but the vast majority that I have ever met are normal folks that are not like that at all (as you have said yourself before I believe). It would be like judging any group my the mentalists within it rather that the majority

kennyp
    Free Member

Keep religion in private please and don’t assume you are superior adn use that to be condescending to the rest of us

But TJ, less than an hour ago you used the phrase “to those of a rational mindset”. Surely that’s you doing exactly that?

kennyp
    Free Member

Keep religion in private please

If religion can be vilified in public then it has every right to defend itself in public.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kenny – “Rational mindset” is not making a moral judgement. Its a statement of fact. Religion is not rational by definition – its a matter of faith.

hilldodger
    Free Member

leffeboy – Member
    ….. some religious folk can be preachy, over the top and judgemental

as can some non-religious folk !

boxfish
    Free Member

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    …. its a matter of faith.

which people are surely entitled to hold and communicate – or are you advocating religious censorship ?

Cougar

How exactly? Freedom to shop seven days a week is hardly a fundamental human right. I don’t see how letting shop employees have one day at home with their families is removing the freedom of choice?

Well, we weren’t talking about human rights, we were talking about laws.

I don’t see how opening shops on a Sunday prevents employees from having one, or six, days at home with their families. Neither do I see how closing a shop on Sunday automatically gives people a day off; plenty of people still work in stores after the front doors locked.

What it does mean is stores can’t choose to, say, open on Sunday and close on Tuesday. It means that when I’m making a spag bol and find I’m out of (veggie) mince at 6pm on a Sunday, I’m knackered.

And sure, it’s hardly the end of the world. Point is, there’s no real reason for it beyond its religious trappings, outside of religion it’s unnecessary and arbitrary.

It’s unimportant in the grand scheme of things of course; just an example.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – no – they can do what they like between consenting adults in private.
    Waht I cannot accept is when they tell me I am of inferior morals because I do not believe or attempt to dictate what I can and cannot do because of their belief.

nick1962
    Free Member

kennyp – Member

But TJ, less than an hour ago you used the phrase “to those of a rational mindset”. Surely that’s you doing exactly that?

TandemJeremy – Member

Kenny – “Rational mindset” is not making a moral judgement. Its a statement of fact. Religion is not rational by definition – its a matter of faith.

TJ Condescending , morality? Confused.
    Surely a “rational mindset” is relative and subjective.
    I am sure Stalin (at least in his eyes) was in a rational mindset when he committed his many atrocities

Northwind

hilldodger – Member

which people are surely entitled to hold and communicate – or are you advocating religious censorship ?

There’s a difference between holding and communicating your faith, and pushing it on others, obviously. “The values of the Bible, the values of Christianity, are the values that we need” or “you might want to say thanks.”

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 482 total)

The topic ‘We Christians’ is closed to new replies.