Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • johnners
    Free Member

I ordered an Alpha Daytona Paul Newman

Nice one! It’s a lot of watch for the money, and with an interesting movement – it’d look good on a rally strap for that full-on shameless motorsport look, as seen in 70s mens mags! I think going in on the more affordable side “de-risks” and “de-guilts” the purchase if you’re prone to that sort of thinking and leaves a bit more room for enjoying the watch.

PS Fill that subby shaped hole in your life with a Loreo Hulk for $63 while you’re on a budget roll!

ojom
    Free Member

Two of mine.

View post on imgur.com

Two of mine.
    I actually cannot seem to create an image on here and i lack the will to learn.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Merely repeating what I’ve read, seagull either die quick or go for ever. Ie, decent movement but let down by poor QC. Fingers crossed for you kryton

Kryton57

Cheers Neil – that’s what I meant by eyes wide open, well that and the acrylic, and the shipping from China, and the fact it can’t really get wet… 😀

If the Seagull dies an old school jewellers / watch guy in my local town I can ask to have a look at it.

Kryton57

PS Fill that subby shaped hole in your life with a Loreo Hulk for $63 while you’re on a budget roll!

ive now actually read decent reviews of that….  unbelievable.

johnners
    Free Member

ive now actually read decent reviews of that…. unbelievable.

I do have one, they’re remarkable for the money. Solid links, solid end links, 200m WR (probably!), sapphire crystal, classic sub proportions and a really comfortable worry-free beater. OTOH – sharp edges on lugs, slightly quirky hacking, mine has a marked rehaut (but I couldn’t be bothered to return it), indifferent lume (to put it kindly) and a pointless display back showing off one of the plainest looking movements I’ve seen. Nobody within a couple of metres of it could ever mistake it for a Rolex (or even a Phoibos 007) but I paid $63 for it and it makes me smile. Check out the JOMW YouTube!

tthew

I like ojom’s Milgauss. Briefly considered a white face one of them, (before I had a word with myself about dropping £5k on a watch!)

w00dster

Yeah also liking the Rolex, strap really down plays it, works very well.

dirkpitt74

I just picked this up:

Newmark 71 limited edition of 300 pieces – only about 40 left apparently.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Nice!

tthew

New Seiko Alpiniste range is looking rather nice. Social climber

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yes those Alpinists are nice. Very much a return to the 90s style ones, although the green one is almost identical in appearance to the SARB017 I’ve got already. I like the white and black face ones. Quite price though.

Really like that Newmark ^^. Too big for my wrist though.

Edit: actually not that big looking at the spec.

Kryton57

+1 re the Alpinists, nice.

johnners
    Free Member

New Seiko Alpiniste range is looking rather nice. Social climber

I like the look of them but they’re all very much like the SARB017 (except the indices on the black one) but at double the price. I like the bracelet and the white(ish) dialed version but that combo isn’t available and in any case I’d give the Seiko rip-off price hike a swerve. I think that reviewer is wrong, the 6r35 isn’t a 28800 movement, it’s still 21600 like the 6r15 but with an admittedly decent 20 hour bump to the reserve – it’d be remarkable if they’d managed that 20 hour increase as well as a move from 3 to 4 hz.

So in short, they’ve doubled the price over the SARB017 and for the extra money you lose the Alpinist engraving in favour of a display case back and get a better power reserve and a Prospex “X” cluttering the dial. Thanks Seiko!

neilnevill
    Free Member

I think johnners is right about 3 hz

neilnevill
    Free Member

Btw, high beat is not particularly something to admire, it’s a way of making a watch more accurate but at the expense of power reserve and wear Vs a lower beat. If a movement is accurate with a low beat that is good. However reviews and spec sheets seem to throw ‘high beat’ around as something great.

nicko74

for the extra money you lose the Alpinist engraving in favour of a display case back and get a better power reserve and a Prospex “X” cluttering the dial. Thanks Seiko!

But those are both things that a) are thought to be desirable and b) cost money. So while the display back won’t please everyone, it seems fair enough

Pierre

Loreo Hulk

Crikey. Does anyone here own one of those, and are they _any_ good?

johnners
    Free Member

But those are both things that a) are thought to be desirable and b) cost money. So while the display back won’t please everyone, it seems fair enough

I don’t mind a display back, the “X” is neither here nor there really and the extra 20 hours is nice but not something I’m bothered about. It’s charging around $350 extra for them which is pretty cheeky. But in line with Seiko’s general price drift upwards.

Loreo Hulk

Crikey. Does anyone here own one of those, and are they _any_ good?

Yes and sort of, see my post further up this page.

igm

Isn’t the sapphire glass new too?

Edit – no it isn’t

Kryton57

Loreo Hulk

Somehow I can’t bring myself to own such a cheap homage….   I don’t know why!  I would buy a Phoibos though, due to Saphhire and Miyolta.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Buy a Steinhart, you won’t regret it.

Kryton57

To be fair I’m seriously considering it having watched a few Homage reviews this week.  The general “mid range” recommendation seems to fall with the Phoisbos but somehow the name & logo sounds “cheap” to me, whereas Steinhart feels all German and reliable – funny how your brain works with that.   I’m now of the opinion that I want a quality watch, albeit a homage.

I’ll see my January Sales commissions statement in the next few days, lets see if there’s £350 in it… 😀

But then I’m by no means certain, I’ve kind of also fallen for the Panda look.

Edit: oh and the £ is enjoying a little positive blip making them a tiny bit cheaper….

johnners
    Free Member

A bold statement to make where Kryton’s concerned!

I’m now of the opinion that I want a quality watch, albeit a homage.

Well, fun though I think they are you’re definitely right to rule out the Loreo, they’re fantastic value but their quality is relative to their price point. Currently around £48 on Aliexpress though! I don’t know where you’re looking at Phoibos but the PY007 is OOS in their European shop. Steinhart Ocean One though (presumably that’s the model you’re considering?) – by all accounts a very well finished Chinese case and bezel with an ETA 2824 movement dropped into it in Switzerland, thus Swiss Made. 42mm though, so while it’s very like a pumped up Submariner in shape, face and hands it really will wear quite differently.

Kryton57

the PY007 is OOS in their European shop

They are OOS everywhere.

Steinhart Ocean One though (presumably that’s the model you’re considering?)

Probably the vintage red (homage of the Double Red SeaDweller) – this one:

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/diver-watch/ocean-one-vintage-red-854.html

neilnevill
    Free Member

They do a Smaller Steiner now, 39.5mm I think.

I’ve the original 42mm and like it a lot.

Kryton57

Yes the Ocean 39.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve the original 42mm and like it a lot

I’ve a PX002 I like which I think probably wears very similarly, and not much like a Submariner. Swiss movement too…

Probably the vintage red

I like the vintage effect lume on that One, other than that it looks like an efficient Sub-by-numbers homage, right down to the excessively verbose face.

Kryton57

Lol

I’m am being pulled by the much cheaper heimdallr though:

https://www.heimdallr.watch/dive-watches/97-shark-submariner.html

igm

To help Kryton out, does anyone rent watches?
    Easier if he changes his mind…

😉

neilnevill
    Free Member

Didn’t I already offer? If he’s in South London he’s welcome to try mine for a few weeks, and to try the Tudor sub/sea dweller homage aka pelagos… Although that one perhaps just a few minutes!

Kryton57

Ha!  Thanks Neil and very much appreciated.  I’m the other side of the river but do travel about.   I’ll drop you a note if I know I’m down south – roughly where are you?

Easier if he changes his mind…

Of the two it purely depends on what’s left after the bills are paid…

johnners
    Free Member

I’m am being pulled by the much cheaper heimdallr

Choosing the ETA 2824 movement for the Heimdallr takes it to more or less the same price as the ETA equipped Steinhart, give or take a wee markup for “Swiss Made”.

Makes you think…

Kryton57

That price difference is then reflected by the ceramic bezel in the Heimdallr vs steel in the Steinhart.

johnners
    Free Member

That price difference is then reflected by the ceramic bezel in the Heimdallr vs steel in the Steinhart

Ah, I didn’t look at the bezels, that makes the Steinhart less good value than I was starting to think unless the finishing is really much better. That green Heimdallr looks very nice, a lot more subtle than the shade on the Rolex Hulk IMO.

earl_brutus

The trouble with a homage is you’ll wish it was the real thing every time you look at it. Was with me. Now have real thing.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Upper Norwood, near crystal palace but also work in central London near at James. Pm me if you want to try it.

But sure for the 39 but when I bought me ocean one it was only about a tenner more for the ceramic bezel insert option which I got.

Kryton57

The ceramic bezel Ocean 1 is now £30 more.   But does look stunning.

neilnevill
    Free Member

My Sumo has been on the wrist all week and has averaged -4 sec/day which is better. No idea how it’s varied in the last week, though averaging -4 seems fairly reasonable.

CountZero

The trouble with a homage is you’ll wish it was the real thing every time you look at it.

Well, every time I look at mine, I think, “damn, is that all the time is? Still another two hours till home time!”
    Followed, very, very occasionally, by the thought, “I really like that watch, shame it isn’t an Emperor Tuna!” Closely followed by:
    “When the lottery win happens, I might get one, but in the meantime…”
    All I care about is that I find the look of the watch pleasing, at its heart is a genuine Seiko movement, the rest is well-finished steel, but it’s just the container.
    The thing is, Seikos like the SKX007/009, are now being customised to such an extent that all that’s left is the case, and in the case of the Tiger Shroud, even that is being modded further – quite frankly there’s so little left of the original watch that it’s no more than an homage to another watch completely, but with a lower spec movement than mine!
    Anyway, something that might interest those looking for a Seiko that’s a wee bit special, because there’s a set of three limited edition Prospex models being released, one of them is only 600 units, thats my own favourite version. It’s actually an all-Black version of the Heimdallr homage that’s currently on its way to me, the MarineMaster 300. I’ve only been able to find a price for the Sumo, which is ¥109,800, about £766, slightly outside my budget…

https://www.seikowatches.com/us-en/products/prospex/special/blackseries_limited/

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.