Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • lapdog
    Free Member

Wow some serious watch collections on here. Hard to beat Jeffc though – impressive. My collection is a lot smaller:

Fitbit Blaze for cycling

Tissot Pr200 hardly worn anymore

Tag Heuer Monaco – occasionally worn

Schofield BBB2 – this is my favourite watch by far. A stunner.

i would love more Schofield’s but funds are limited sadly.

BadlyWiredDog

I also have an Elliot Brown, I’ve done 2 leather and now 2 rubber straps in the last few years, so punt for the metal strap, or just deal with a nato getting stinky? I am not delicate with watches so need to be reasonably resilient!

I met Ian Elliot – the Elliot half of the company – a few years back. He’s ex-Animal and is working with the ex-horologist from there. I’ve never been particularly into watches tbh, but his point was that for many men, a watch is the only form of jewellery / personal adornment they wear, so maybe making your watch a nice one, isn’t such an unreasonable thing.

I now mostly wear an Elliot Brown Canford with a Nato strap – the rubber ones look nice, but die after six months of regular use ime. Otherwise the watch has been great despite regular abuse, though the glass has seen better days.

lunge

for many men, a watch is the only form of jewellery / personal adornment they wear, so maybe making your watch a nice one, isn’t such an unreasonable thing.

Absolutely this. I wear a wedding ring and a watch, given my wedding ring is a plain thing I have no issues spending a couple of quid on a watch.

jeffc

@MTT

I dunno how to link a pic from Instawotsit.  My 6610 and most of the others are on IG under jeffcowie2   – enjoy!

https://www.instagram.com/jeffcowie2/

I got into vintage Rolex when they were merely just expensive rather than the current crazy prices.  As lovely as the 6610 is, I’d say it’s one of the few truly undervalued vintage Rolex pieces left.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

For some reason this popped up in my youtube feed last night, and reminded me of this thread.  I have no idea what it is but find it curiously fascinating in an off-World tech kind of way:

And some other  brain-boggling horologicality:

tthew

There’s a few of those Hamilton military watches on the Bay of e. Not even THAT expensive. Hmm. 🤔

benp1

Have a few, including a tag heuer 4000 and a yobokies modded seiko

still wear my traser chrono for bikepacking, but for everything else I wear an original Apple Watch. It’s great, so handy and use the smart watch functionality many times a day… it has stopped me from wearing my other watches now

CountZero

Having dug all my watches out for the photo I posted up, I’m now wearing the G-Shock, for the first time in ages. Still a real phaff to set the time, but it’s more comfortable to wear than I remember, although that’s a lot to do with the NATO conversion, instead of the nasty plastic strap that made my arm sweat and go red and itchy, and the strap to get really smelly as a result. It could also do with decent lume, too, but it was pretty cheap.

Kryton57

it has stopped me from wearing my other watches now

I couldn’t stand a Hauwai Smart watch I had, yet I’ve had the Garmin Instinct on now since Monday and missed it when I changed it for my Tag when I was wearing a suit one day in the week.  For me its hell of a watch, essentially a Smart G shock with awesome battery life – its showing 60% charge after 6 days.  Personally my use of a Smart watch is that the notifications help me not get my phone out my pocket, so its perfect for that.

A fried of mine has one of those Hamilton’s, its even nicer in the flesh.

woffle
    Free Member

Ikepod Megapode is my daily watch. Never seen another one being worn – I used to work with a chap who had the Hemipode but they’re pretty marmite so not entirely surprising.

Then it’s an Oris automatic that my wife bought me for our first Christmas together, and a Garmin for running etc.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My watches are just cheap crap with a reason why I don’t throw them out. The TAG on the left is a favourite. 32 years old this Christmas. (The watch that is).

scratch
    Free Member

I only have a couple of cheapies I’ve picked up, ones a Mondaine (which could really do with a new strap)

and this which I really like, and had from Gumtree for £35.

I quite fancy a Seiko Kinetic Titanium for my birthday next year, apart from Creation, where’s good to pick up Seiko’s? Some of the ones on Creation seem pretty dated.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve used Long Island Watches before with no issues.

rene59
    Free Member

https://www.seiyajapan.com were good for me.

Wally

2nd Seiyajapan  – been fine twice for me.

CountZero

Eddiebaby, I remember those TAG Heuer Formula 1 watches, they came out around the same time as my Series 1000, maybe a year later, and they were very popular, because apart from Swatch, which was the influence, there were no sports watches that were that brightly coloured. I think they were about half the price of the Series 1000. Can’t find any for sale online, to see what they’re going for now.

matt_outandabout

Any of you watchists got a suggestion?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Obviously the everyday watch is that Seiko on a variety of NATO straps, but of all my watches, this is my favourite +1.

The original owner was a polymath, a French reistance hero and a true gentleman. After the war, he’d never sleep in a bed again, and all i know is that it was because of something the Nazis had done to him (He always made the distinction between the Nazis and Germans)

From the research I’ve done, it’s from ’36. When I inherited it, I took it to my jeweller, Tribbecks in Salisbury, for a service. They did a sterling job. They asked if I wanted the glass repaired, butI declined. Every scratch could be a part of a story…

Makes me so proud to be able to wear it, and I’ll pass it on to my son, who has the original owner’s name as one of his names.

chakaping
    Free Member

matt_outandabout

The original owner was a polymath, a French reistance hero and a true gentleman. After the war, he’d never sleep in a bed again, and all i know is that it was because of something the Nazis had done to him (He always made the distinction between the Nazis and Germans)

That story requires it’s own thread.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Matt, I’m gradually piecing together his life, and that of his wife (Mrs CFH’s great aunt!) who was an equally fascinating person.

He was half Guadeloupean, half French, an enthusiast for puzzles, chess and the like, worked for Reuters (among others) spoke myriad languages, and had the most elegant hands of any man who ever lived. Always perfectly turned out, always perfectly polite. A product of a bygone age.

professor_fate
    Free Member

…more please

As someone with an appreciation of the events around that time, a personal timepiece like that one and the wearer needs more coverage.

oldtennisshoes

Damn you Kryton – Garmin Instinct (Tundra) added to the xmas list. Anyone want to buy a 935? 😉

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can relate OP

I have a thing for vintage quartz.

I’ve just added an Omega X-33 to:

Omega NASA prototype Speedmaster LCD called the “Alaska IV”, only 12 made – all numbered, I have number 1, delivered to NASA for testing on the Shuttle programme.

2 Omega Speedmaster Lobsters

2 Omega Speedmaster LCD

Omega Mariner 1

Omega 2.4mhz “Stardust”

Omega Time Computer

Omega Skindiver

and a G Shock

Wally

Omega stardust- go on post a pic. Lovely watch.

wait4me

Slightly OT. Can anyone recommend somewhere for servicing that isn’t stupidly expensive? I’ve got a beautiful 50’s chronograph that needs attention. Quotes have been over £600 which I just can’t justify right now. Last time it was done by this guy who ran one of the forums, did a fantastic job but no longer takes work on. He did it for circa £250 .

Kryton57

Damn you Kryton – Garmin Instinct (Tundra) added to the xmas list.

😀  Glad to be of service.

Ever since this thread has been opened I’m hankering after a Rolex Submariner, I’m loving the look.  Best get saving… 8o

deepreddave
    Free Member

@futon river crossing – I remember the Alaska from TZ so just re-read that thread, are you still planning to sell it next year?

Jeffc’s collection is high end for most normal folk but anyone collecting older Rolex subs has seen prices rise by crazy amounts of late.

There’s still plenty vintage and modern watches that are great to wear and a safer place for your money than bikes….

I see the forum software is still pants. Only 3 edits required!

Kryton57

derek_starship
    Free Member

Omega NASA prototype Speedmaster LCD called the “Alaska IV”, only 12 made – all numbered, I have number 1, delivered to NASA for testing on the Shuttle programme.

None of the Alaska prototypes that were delivered into NASA testing made it back into the public domain.

None of them.

Kryton57

Ive caved and bought a Seiko Samurai (2017) on sale.  My collecting friend reckons the price will double over a few years so this is a part investment.

Saccades
    Free Member

@waitforme Richard Askham or Angelsea Watches.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

@Derek Starship – not sure what you’re saying?

Presumably you’re saying that I have not been to Bienne twice and met with the top man there who personally looks after Nsas’s Speedmasters and had the watch authenticated. That I don’t have an extract from the archives stating that my watch was sent to NASA for evaluation in the Shuttle program.

@deepreddave
    – yep – I’m in contact with Sotheby’s today actually, 50th anniversary of the moon landing auction.

rene59
    Free Member

Presumably you’re saying that I have not been to Bienne twice and met with the top man there who personally looks after Nsas’s Speedmasters and had the watch authenticated.

Why does the North Somerset Agricultural Society require such fancy watches with testing and authentication? I thought farmers were meant to be skint.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@futon – cheers. That’ll be exciting and I guess you’re expecting a healthy profit so fingers crossed for you. Potentially a good time to sell too given the vintage speedie market of late 😀

facian
    Free Member

Has anyone on here had a first-hand look/feel of the Hirsch Eucalyptus Bark watch strap? Link below, and I am actually looking to fit one to my Speedmaster Professional (which is conveniently the watch used for the marketing photographs!).

It looks like an interesting alternative to the raw/distressed “vintage” leather straps that I was originally looking at, minus the animal content.

I’m looking for something that will age nicely, as the watch itself has a nice patina/character to it and so I don’t want anything too obviously new looking.

Hirsch BARK LE Eucalyptus Fibre Performance Watch Strap in BROWN

Below is my Chopard, which I replaced with the Speedmaster. A bit of an impulse purchase and I did like it, but I have a self-imposed one-in, one-out policy on “nice” watches!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2djhugb]Chopard Mille Miglia[/url]

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

@deepreddave – yeah hope so, I have delayed selling to catch the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing, as advised by the Omega experts, they are really keen to acquire the watch, mainly I think because it is Number 1. I offered it to them privately, but they are only ably to buy it in a public manner. Also, for them it generates publicity for their brand and heritage and the space connection.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Has anyone on here had a first-hand look/feel of the Hirsch Eucalyptus Bark watch strap?

Not likely to, it’s rubber with some bark on the outside for effect.  I’d maybe at a push (but probably never) spend £80 to upgrade from a rubber strap, but definitely never to one.

ebikegum

It seems as though there are some serious collectors on here.

I’m currently wearing a Rolex GMT II – in my opinion a lovely watch and a great alternative to the usual Submariner.

I also have a year 2000 Omega Speedmaster Reduced which i am considering selling. the watch is double boxed with all cards, papers and purchase receipt. It is currently in need of a service.

Any idea on value or anyone interested in acquiring?

facian
    Free Member

@Malvern Rider
    Yes I appreciate it’s a bit of an odd one! I don’t like the standard metal bracelet, and I want something a bit casual but different from the usual suspects.

I was thinking about one of the many Nato straps available, but it’s hard to gauge which are good quality and which are just cheap & flimsy nylon with shiny plated lugs.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.