• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • johnners
    Free Member

The trouble with a homage is you’ll wish it was the real thing every time you look at it.

I’m sure that must be true for some people. It’s not true for me.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Rush into a homage purchase and that may be the case…I want a sub… Can’t afford a sub…ooo a cheap lookalike, great! Followed by,. Hmm…I still want a sub. However, I want a sub, what is it about a sub I like? Research,ooo this homage gives what I like and Maybe more…I like this homage. That’s possible too.

Watty

Buy a Steinhart, you won’t regret it.

neilnevill recommended the Ocean 39 ceramic when I was looking and I have no regrets, its lovely, beautifully made and under 400 quid!!

Kryton57

Rush into a homage purchase and that may be the case…I want a sub… Can’t afford a sub…ooo a cheap lookalike, great! Followed by,. Hmm…I still want a sub. However, I want a sub, what is it about a sub I like? Research,ooo this homage gives what I like and Maybe more…I like this homage. That’s possible too.

Are you in my house Neill? 😀

Mrs K caught me looking last night, she’s not happy.

neilnevill recommended the Ocean 39 ceramic when I was looking and I have no regrets, its lovely, beautifully made and under 400 quid!!

I must admit it’s swaying me away from the Ocean Red with its more simplistic look.

GTDave
    Free Member

Always had an itch for an Omega, should be taking care of that soon.

In the mean time, I’ve been very satisfied with my ternion of Christopher Ward homages, and Seiko’s.
    Once I work out how to post a pic from the iPad, I’ll do so.

Recently lost an old customised SKX007 daily beater, but have just sprung for one of the new range of successors, the SRPD63K1, muted Hulk style. Quite nice.

midlifecrashes

Just back from town and spent up nearly all of the money I got in Christmas cards from far away relatives.

Skagen

£34.99 fron Tkmaxx

derek_starship
    Free Member

midlifecrashes

Yep, it does look a bit tight, but it was packed flat rather than round a former, so it’s just the leather trying to be straight. It’ll look fine in an hour or two when it takes shape, next hole down and you could spin it on my wrist

GTDave
    Free Member

GTDave
    Free Member

Then these oldies which I tinker with occasionally.

bob_summers

Right, so as mentioned above I was looking for something with big numbers, won a Big Zero today on the Bay, and would like a nice 18mm NATO for it. Where to go for a good un?

GTDave
    Free Member

Timefactors are pretty good:

http://timefactors.com

Futureboy77

I’ve had good ones from:

mksnatostraps.com

neilnevill
    Free Member

Georgesstraps.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Stratosphere have some really nice NATOs which are a bit different.

bob_summers

Excellent cheers. Bought a couple to see which one looks best

Kryton57

It arrived:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ihW2Ja]2020-01-21_11-13-08[/url]

I’m pretty happy.  6 days HK to UK, its light and sit low on my wrist, nice leather strap with deployment class and looks good (IMO).  The stitching on the strap is ivory to match the face not white which I think is nice touch.

Please to own a mechanical hand wind chrono.

CountZero

Looks good, very classy! Is the strap a Hirsch one, by any chance? That’s what I’ve got on my Rallygraf, but with red stitching, which is an almost exact match to the red detail on the face. I really like having a deployment clasp on a leather strap, so much easier to take on and off.
    This is the type of strap I’m going to have a go at for the Heimdallr that’s on its way. Dead easy to make, I’ve got some undyed tanned leather kicking around, along with some Sam Browne brass studs of various sizes, so it’s just doing a card mockup to get length and hole spacing sorted, I think I might get some dark blue dye, rather than black or brown.

tthew

Anyone have a recommendation where to get a movement upgrade to my SKX007 done? I can’t easily find a 7S26 for a direct swap and the local bloke has told me it’s not economical to repair the broken one.

athgray
    Free Member

Anyone have a recommendation where to get a movement upgrade to my SKX007 done? I can’t easily find a 7S26 for a direct swap and the local bloke has told me it’s not economical to repair the broken one.

You could try it yourself. I havent switched movements on a Seiko but have done it on a Russian watch before. There are videos of people changing movements on Seiko SKX’s. Jody on Just One More Watch does it. He changes the movement to an NH36. You can pick up a general watch tool kit for around £20 and ‘supposedly’ an NH36 movement for around £30 from ebay.

johnners
    Free Member

Anyone have a recommendation where to get a movement upgrade to my SKX007 done? I can’t easily find a 7S26 for a direct swap

Your local bloke could surely quote for it, it’s pretty straightforward, pulling and refitting the hands and (maybe) cutting the winder are about the only fiddly bits.
    Failing that you could try This guy on ebay – I found him while looking for someone to swap out the 7s26 on my SKX779, but haven’t got around to it yet.

tthew

You could try it yourself.

I’ve watched some of the YouTube videos, am tempted, but once I’ve bought the tools on top of the movement, stem and crown I suspect it’ll not be much difference in price. Then I might break something, then the date wheel might not be the right one, (because apparently the A movement is a bit different from the B and C)…..

If I supply the bits to the local bloke and they are wrong, that’s more issue, plus I don’t think he’s the type to go on YouTube and research how to do it.

I’d seen the eBay bloke Jonners, that’s looking favorite so far.

Cheers all.

Kryton57

very classy

Its slightly annoying that it looks better with a suit / shirt sleeve.

beanum

I’ve just bought one of these on Amazon:
    NH36A Movement

It arrived from China the other day and it functions (i.e. it ticks…). The rotor isn’t branded Seiko so I assume it’s a Chinese clone. I’m waiting to speak to my local watch guy to find out how much he’ll charge to change it over.
    If it’s too much I’ll be watching YouTube again and getting some tools in.

As mentioned Just One More Watch on YouTube goes through it step by step and there are some good videos by LumeShot on how to take an SKX apart and replace different parts…

johnners
    Free Member

I’d seen the eBay bloke Jonners, that’s looking favorite so far

It looks like a reasonable enough price, given that he supplies the movement, and he has been on there a while. Let us know how you get on!

johnners
    Free Member

The rotor isn’t branded Seiko so I assume it’s a Chinese clone

Seiko don’t brand their aftermarket movements since they’re for non-Seiko use, that looks exactly like the stock Seiko NH35 rotor except it’s missing the country of manufacture above the pivot. Kaemma stated as manufacturer might be more of a clue though.

Futureboy77

Quite liking these…

And this one from One Second Closer is floating my boat!

johnners
    Free Member

And this one from One Second Closer is floating my boat!

It must be a big boat, that looks huge! Bit off-putting how that bloke’s shaved his arm and hand too. The Seikos are nice enough in their Seiko-ish way but I’ve never been keen on PVD finishes.

Futureboy77

Haha, I noticed the shave too!

taxi25
    Free Member

Just thought I’d share my 60th birthday present to myself. I looked at a fair few with the Tudor Pelagos being the front runner for a while, but it just looked a bit big on my 17.5cm wrist. And as I already have a 42mm dive watch I thought something a bit smaller. I’d have liked to try on Black Bay 58 but couldn’t find one in stock anywhere. Then I saw a Rado Captain Cook, again the 42mm seemed just a bit big but I managed to find a ltd edition 37mm and that’s what I got 😁

neilnevill
    Free Member

very nice looking watch, enjoy!

neilnevill
    Free Member

I just looked it up, that is lovely the Rado! I confess to dismissing Rado as nt much more than a fashion brand…wrongly. there’s a great green option, a blue option, lovely domed sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, damed and sunburst dial and good movement shared with Tissot, a modified ETA 2824-2 that has 80 hr power reserve! not sure exactly how its modified…slower beat of 3.5Hz will help but does it have a second barrel too? very very nice

Wally

Currently in Berlington Arcade. Shop at end is lovely, really nice old stock but £££££. Tried on an Omega Ranchero. 8.8k,oh my.
    Will upload a pic or two when I learn how to.

jamiep
    Free Member

The trouble with a homage is you’ll wish it was the real thing every time you look at it.

I’ve little interest in spending on watches- I’d typically wear a Casio F-91W but started a new job and wanted something more professional-looking for a 45yo.

Then I stumbled on Just One More Watch.
    I spent £42-47 in the Ali sale on
    Loreo Submariner, black with red highlight;
    Loreo Daytona, pale blue;
    Parnis Daytona, white.

All are lovely for the money and I enjoy looking at the time, no quality issues (well, the Parnis bracelet buckle is a poor design). And I never look at them wishing I’d spent £1,000s on a Rolex, which would be utterly beautiful but I simply wouldn’t get the utility/vaue from it (even if it were a tenth of the price)

Kryton57

I was also on Ali express after watching JOMW today, after he recommended a Pagani for $74 above all others.

I the decided I already had a sub alike in my sea urchin, so maybe I should just add a bracelet to it.  The bracelet costs more than the Pagani….

But then I found a Baby Turtle on a bracelet.   If only it was Sapphire, sigh…

tthew

I really like that Rado. Tried one on in Amsterdam this summer, one to look out for second hand I think!

neilnevill
    Free Member

that’s just what I was thinking,vi suspect you take a bath buying them new.

tthew

that’s just what I was thinking,vi suspect you take a bath buying them new.

Apart from a some Rolexes and Omegas, that’s generally the case isn’t it?

Futureboy77

What a bonus today. Was having a clear out and stumbled across my old SKX009J which I thought I had long since lost!

The bezel and insert have a ding in them, so ordered new from Dagaz watches. Hopefully shipping doesn’t take too long.

I like that Rado, and it’s a brand I have never really liked as a rule. Looks good.

dirkpitt74

Nothing special, but my TomTom Spark gave up last week so upgraded to this:

Far to much functionality for me but gadgets innit 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.