Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 9,115 total)
  • Watches N+1…
    ElShalimo

@Kryton57 –  I really like, simple and no doubt really well engineered. Much nicer than those gaudy new car priced world timers above

neilnevill
    Free Member

@gaidong that FF is super!  It’s a chunky monkey though isn’t it!  I believe they just released some new models shrunk to 42mm at last.  They are all beyond me though!

Kryton57

really well engineered

Well the bracelet’s a bit rattley but yes I’ll be able to tell the position of the moon accurate to 1/4s for the next 76 years and within 15s after that according the manual.  :)   30 month reserve as well.

Unless I flip it’s the last for a while, my watch box is full despite my attempts to halve the contents and a new bathroom is emptying the purse.

gaidong
    Free Member

@Neil, I tried the 42mm 5010 in the Paris boutique two weeks ago, alongside the 5015. I get that’s it’s more wearable for many people but on my 7.5 incher (whoa there!) it didn’t feel like the real deal.

@Kryton, looks good, enjoy!

gaidong
    Free Member

@ElShalimo, a ‘true’ worldtimer gives you simultaneous world times, so they are always busy dials. I don’t know what your gaudy threshold is but the Chopard case is actually very restrained and mostly with a brushed finish, so hardly a bling monster. I’m not throwing shade on anyone else’s choice, there are lots of very expensive watches that can give many timezones but are not worldtimers: the IWC Timezoner and Breguet Hora Mundi being some examples. I get it that you don’t share my tastes, that’s fine, but this thread is surprisingly judgemental at times.

Kryton57

I love the different looks and complications.  YMMV on the looks of course but it often leads me to learn how they work / are assembled and why they cost what they do.   As I’ve said many times on this thread, I consider it a fantastic horological education.

Sorted my box out yesterday, 4 keepers, 2 on the fence likely lasting until a grail and 6 cheap ones including 2 G’s.   I may thin down the cheap side in the coming weeks to leave a G 5600 and the Citizen as budget/backup/shed daily’s.

Right, Jody’s provided a limited preview of his GADA, so it’s off for YouTube and coffee.

pisco

Just shat myself when I spotted my Suunto watch appeared to be badly smashed. Turns out it was cat hair.

20240413_083714

ElShalimo

@gaidong – don’t worry about it. I’m not saying you’re a bad person or anything.

I’m just commenting on a watch thread that I don’t like a watch in a photo.

I’m wearing a G-Shock today again…. each to their own. You’d probably hate it

🙃

boblo
    Free Member

but this thread is surprisingly judgemental at times

Maybe, but it’s just other people’s opinions and everyone has one. Due to the medium of it being delivered, it can appear a bit binary. In my own case, my opinion is delivered with a side of piss taking/bantz so not altogether seriously. It’s hard to tell this when it’s written. Someone told me years ago, just imagine the person grinning whilst they’re writing rather than assuming the worst… Good advice.

johnners
    Free Member

I bloody loves it I do! 

It can’t be bad if it’s got you talking like a civilised person!

I really like that, the Blood Moon variant particularly. It looks way too big for my current tastes though, my wrist size has shrunk lately from 7½ to 6ish inches and 42/43mm is really pushing it a bit.

Kryton57

42/43mm is really pushing it a bit.

Have a read of the reviews, they say and  I agree it wear much like a 41.   I’ve a 16.5cm wrist for example, and my pics always seem to exaggerate where the lugs of my watches sit – this on is easily “inside” my wrist with no overhang.

You can order them on Amazon, which gives you the opportunity to try it on and send it back for free.

Harry_the_Spider

Has anyone got a Suunto Core, either red or yellow, on a nylon strap? Can you post a picture?

The rubber strap seems to be only available on the black version.

ElShalimo

You can get after market straps to fit. The screws can be tricky to get off

johnners
    Free Member

You can order them on Amazon, which gives you the opportunity to try it on and send it back for free

Thanks but even though I’m not refitting a bathroom it’s a bit spendy for my current finances. In any case my grab-and-go/radio-timed/solar-powered/quartz need are met by my Casio Lineage in a 40mm case! It displays 2 times concurrently but sadly I’ll just have to just remain clueless about the moon phase.

midlifecrashes

A little eBay project/present for my daughter. Bought cheap with the telltale “needs new battery”, ie not working. As expected, an old battery had leaked and the movement was toast. I was expecting this but knew Junghans only put branded movements in, so an ETA to match was sourced from  eBay for a tenner. I chickened out on swapping them over though I have done it before, but the hands weren’t lifting for me so a local repair/battery place did it for me for not too much.

PXL_20240413_164524644

gaidong
    Free Member

@El Shalimo, I have G-Shocks! Namely a square, which I wear when I (occasionally) do some mountain biking. As I said above, it’s great we all have different tastes, else we’d all be wearing Submariners, or variations thereof, but the “new car priced’ phrase was the teller for me. There are minging watches at every price point, and gems too, so the cost of a watch seems irrelevant to me..

ElShalimo

IMG20240414112806

johnners
    Free Member

Nice display – drop the “smart” bits, keep the MIP, add solar and radio timing and I’m in!

tthew

drop the “smart” bits,

You’re dead right. I’ve not had the app on my phone since a couple of months after I got one of those. I’d much rather it synced to a a radio signal and was, after that, just a watch.

ElShalimo

I only use mine as daily watch and step counter. The App is crap even for just changing time zone

The display is fab though

IHN

I’m wearing a G-Shock today again…. each to their own. You’d probably hate it

If it makes you feel better, I hate G-Shocks :-)

I’ve just sent the Seiko 5 7s26, that I bought 25 years ago with some money my parents gave me when I graduated, off to the Seiko service centre as it stopped running about three years ago. A movement service and new crown and stem is going to cost £150, for a watch that cost me £80, that I could replace from eBay for about £50. But it wouldn’t be the same watch, would it…

ElShalimo

FWIW I usually don’t like them but the MIPS display is rather bloody nice

tthew

A movement service and new crown and stem is going to cost £150

They’ll likely just put a new movement in it. But £150 isn’t an outrageous price for that job.

mikertroid
    Free Member

@Elshalimo I’ve got a DW-H5600, and I’d agree with you….would be better if it was a solar powered MIPS G-Shock, rather than the smartwatch it isn’t…but I love the look, comfort and clarity it offers.

In terms of world time usage, I love my Citizen AT8188-64L….super-easy to use…looks better than any posh Swiss watch I’ve owned and I’ll never meet another owner.

https://images.app.goo.gl/3FH8uSaUECpXFXod7

jako

I just picked up this.

It is the first versions of the Apollo 8 50th anniversary watch.  Been wanting it for a while.

IMG_2203

Kato

Very nice jako

at the other end of the spectrum postman has just arrived with this from eBay.  3rd Alkin I’ve owned. Had two of the Model 1’s but moved them on.  A bargain at £172

Kryton57

Nothing new but popping in the sun today….

IMG_5427

Why so dark though Apple eh?

Kryton57

Ok so I finally relented and watched an iPhone photo tutorial 😂.   Turns out I had my Exposure & Focus setting locked to bizarre settings.  Anyway, that’s better:

IMG_5432

JAG

Mmmmmm I do love the Christopher Ward Super Compressor – I’ve been watching a few on eBay.

Very tempting and yours looks lovely in the sunshine :o)

derek_starship
    Free Member

More Suunto love.

It’s been on a few tough rides!

Kryton57

Yeah, it’s hard to capture, either I don’t have an eye for the correct angle or I need to create and be able to post a little gif with movement to show the glinting and sunburst effects.

The only issue – which is not an issue for me TBH is that the lume is poor.   But it’s the other side that’s good to look at too….

IMG_5434

Of course whether it’s needed or not is debatable, but it’s nice to see the compressor spring.

igm

@Kryton57 – the first picture was better than the second. Re-lock your settings

IvanDobski
    Free Member

@kato – nice, I’ve always liked them, very clean design.

johnners
    Free Member

Why so dark though Apple eh?

You’re obviously not happy with the exposure but you’ve caught the dial beautifully. I can’t say I’m a fan of the minute track though, it’s far too busy for my taste – why the separate track of ⅕ divisions when it’s not a chronograph?

Everything else I like, and a very nice strap pairing – who’s that one by?

Kato

@JAG

Steer clear of the “black sand” dial versions.  The Super Compressor texted is infamously off centre.   I sent mine back for that reason but never replaced it.  Once you see it you can’t unsee it.

JAG

@Kato – interesting Thanks.

I had noticed that the “Black Sand” version was disproportionally represented during my eBay searches but I didn’t know why :o)

Kato

Watch friends.  Decent PSA for you

Garmin Epix gen 2 is half price at H Samuel. Down from 750 to 375.  Just ordered one to replace an Apple Watch and a Garmin 530 bike computer

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/garmin-epix-gen-2-black-silicone-strap-smartwatch/p/V-9119900?gbapi_org=tp&_gl=1*1ot79yg*_up*MQ..&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlZixBhCoARIsAIC745DGLNplRhXBAcE9ujU7G5-FjRW-viW8NBaxzJzsVtfROEarSYXDmdYaAk3HEALw_wcB

flyingpotatoes

Anyone got a Seiko Prospex?

Specifically the King Turtle variety. I’m trying to think of a reason not to get one 😬

Kryton57

I have a king Samurai, I really like it and IMO it’s worth the extra especially if you can find it on discount which you often can.  Watcho are very good, they currently have the Lagoon for £395:

https://www.watcho.co.uk/watches/seiko/seiko-prospex-turtle-tropical-lagoon-special-edition-automatic-divers-bracelet-watch-srpj35k1/

Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 9,115 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.