Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 8,673 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • tthew

Does the second crown spin the dial round to correct for the different time zone?
    Wearing a 24 hour watch would definitely take some getting used to.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Yeah, the 4pm crown controls the inner bezel. I think the idea is you set the watch to loval time and then if you want to know the time in, e.g. New York, you align the local city to the hour hand and the position of NY (or Нью-Йорк) tells you the hour there. A few cities have changed time zones since this was made but it’s still fun.

bob_summers

@umop3pisdn I do like that. Where did you get it? I’m still looking for a big zero, there was a decent one on the Bay but I forgot. Found a couple of genuine looking ones on Etsy in decent shape but at double the price of what they go for on the bay.

Futureboy77

Hopefully this upload works or I give up!

Modded cheap russian beater.

Futureboy77

And another one.

tthew

Where did you get the bits for those @Futureboy77? I like the bezels, particularly on the top one, would really suit my Vostock Komandirskie.

Also, are they perspex crystals, or a better replacement? They are prone to scratching being so domed.

athgray
    Free Member

I modded an old Vostok Amphibia by putting a Pepsi bezel on it and a white bezel on a komandirskie. You can get parts from Meranom. Their site is fantastic.

neilnevill
    Free Member

After 8 days with my sumo I have good and bad news on it’s accuracy. The average accuracy has improved to -6.5 secs/ day, pretty good. However the bad news is because the daily variation had been huge. Having had days of different wear patterns it has varied from +11 to -15 ish. It seems this is will within spec for the 6R35 movement, but it’s a bit disappointing I think,. I’ll live with it, but had hoped for better.

Futureboy77

@tthew both are from am-diver. Pricey, but a cut above cheaper ones. The bezels and inserts are beveled match the shape of the crystals.

Also, have a look at “one second closer” online. They do some lovely Vostok/Seiko bits and are a little different to the norm.

Both crystals are original. They just get a toothpaste polish every so often (the teal scuba is from the 80’s!).

tthew

👍 Ta. I’ll look them up, (and Meranom, athgrey)

Futureboy77

@tthew I meant to say…afaik, any Seiko 007 bezel and insert should fit a Scuba Dude or Komandirskie.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

@bob_summers – from reddit (/r/watchexchange). I’ve bought a Raketa from Etsy before though. For sale, as it happens:

Saccades
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot – anyone know where I can get info about quality lighters?

johnners
    Free Member

Having had days of different wear patterns it has varied from +11 to -15 ish

I’ve a 6r15 which averages +3s per day, but that’s with daily readings from 0 to +7, better than yours for sure but still surprisingly variable. I don’t think I’ve any other watches with that kind of variance, even the cheaper Russian and Chinese movements seem to be more consistent.

@tthew I meant to say…afaik, any Seiko 007 bezel and insert should fit a Scuba Dude or Komandirskie

You may be right but since the 007 is 42.5mm and the Komandisrkie is 40mm there’d be a bit of an overhang!

Wally

You can get a bit carried away with spd…
    Accuracy of my Smiths Everest.

johnners
    Free Member

Accuracy of my Smiths Everest

Sure, but only measured over 12 seconds on a Timegrapher. More relevant to actual performance is how it behaves over a number of successive 24 hour periods on wrist.

Wally

Too true – Toolwatch phone app is really the answer over a period of days
    The Timegrapher just gives a guide, not absolute, too many variables.
    Combined they work for me and it’s just for fun.

CountZero

I’ve just checked my Heimdallr Tuna against my iPad clock, I set it at midnight new year, it’s now roughly 45 seconds fast, that’s what, about four seconds a day give or take?
    I can live with that.
    Oh, and in a moment of extravagance, I’ve just ordered another Heimdallr.

johnners
    Free Member

Toolwatch phone app is really the answer over a period of days
    The Timegrapher just gives a guide, not absolute, too many variables

I’m using WatchCheck, taking daily readings over a week or so. I had a look at Toolwatch but didn’t go further than where it wanted a login and password, I expect it’s pretty similar though. I’d love to have a Timegrapher to play with, I expect I’ll get around to buying one sooner or later!

it’s now roughly 45 seconds fast, that’s what, about four seconds a day give or take?

Pretty decent for a NH36, I’ve a couple that run -3 or -4 seconds per day. I’d prefer fast, then you can correct every week or two just by pulling the crown.

CountZero

I’d prefer fast, then you can correct every week or two just by pulling the crown.

Exactly my preference, although I just let it gain a few minutes and reset at the end of the month.
    Having said that, I have a Casio with analogue display, and that gains quite a lot, which is a PITA, ‘cos it’s not possible to wind the hands back, you have to push a stupid little button, and hold it while the hands rotate v e r y s l o w l y for what seems like an eternity.
    It’s possible to adjust it, but it needs the back removing, and I’ve got a pair of adaptors fitted to take a nylon ZULU strap, which makes it a wee bit awkward.
    Anyway, I’ve got my Tuna, my SPORK, TAG, and my Yema, along with a Yokobies mod Seiko 5 to wear, the Casio just sits in a box.

Kryton57

FFS Count Zero.   Stop with the Heimdallr would you? 😀

I’m deciding on getting the 62 MAS or Sub Homage, can’t decide which, I do have 3 Seiko’s now…

athgray
    Free Member

FFS Count Zero. Stop with the Heimdallr would you? 😀

I’m deciding on getting the 62 MAS or Sub Homage, can’t decide which, I do have 3 Seiko’s now…

62Mas everytime. I recently got a San Martin one from Aliexpress. It’s a seriously good watch for not a lot of money. Its solid and the build quality is excellent, as is the lume. It looks from the Heimdallr website that their 62mas is exactly the same watch with different branding. They probably come from the same factory.

Wally

62mas also got my vote out of the Website. Just one more Watch Jodie does an excellent review of the San Martin version. Look very similar to me. Really classic lines.

johnners
    Free Member

62mas in bronze (just for the extra interest) for under $200 is cracking value and would be my pick. And as above, they’re probably all out of the same factory, just pick the logo you prefer, I think I’d go Heimdallr shark over San Martin text.

Kryton57

Interesting thoughts.   The other one on my decision list is Steinharts MilSub homage, which I think looks amazing and is built d<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>ecently:</span>

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/ocean-one-vintage-red-1181.html

I’m having a small mental battle regarding buying another homage be saving up for something “real” although dropping thousands on a watch seems a wasteful to me these days.

ElShalimo

Slight diversion: does anyone know where to get a battery for a Festina quartz watch in W Yorks?

The local watch guy didn’t have the special tool to get the back off.

neilnevill
    Free Member

As an Ocean One owner I can say Steinhart are superb watches. the Heimdallr 62MAS oooks great too.

CountZero

FFS Count Zero. Stop with the Heimdallr would you?

🤣
    Sorry, it’s the watch I originally wanted, but they were out of stock, so I went for the Tuna, but I just love the hand/face combo of the Sharkey MM300 style, it just ticks (ha!) all the right boxes for me, and at £115 it doesn’t break the bank.
    I’m really impressed with Heimdallr’s watches, they’re as well made as the Seikos I’ve seen, they have a quality Seiko movement, although it’s the NH35, unsigned commercial version, it’s still Seiko.
    The Lume is proper stuff, too, and really bright – given decent exposure to a nice bright light source it’ll glow for hours.
    Honestly, it’s very difficult to justify spending any more money, really; two year guarantee is a help too.
    I’m tempted to have a go at making a custom leather strap for the new one, I’ve seen a simple design from a while back that looks easy to make, it just needs careful measuring up to make sure it adjusts to fit my skinny, girly wrists – it has no buckle, just a single Sam Browne brass stud to fasten it.

Wally

Got a pic of the back of the festina?

Kryton57

Struggling this morning.     Whats the point of buying a Homage, yet I don’t have the money to buy a real one – so a Homage it is.   I’d like something different to the Seiko’s so the Submariner Homage’s look good, but the Steinhart looks expensive when you can get a Heimdallr for £200 less.

Neither will appreciate.   In isolation the Steinhart is a lovely watch, but when you choosing between 7 of them and not using 6 that aren’t collectors items why spend a lot on them?   The direction I want to go:

I’m not sure I’mm missing a point currently and that making me indecisive.  Maybe I should have saved the money and over a longer period gone for 2-3 collectors pieces.

w00dster

Kryton, interesting position you’re in. I’ve been incredibly lucky over the years to acquire a number of high end watches. But they never get worn, it’s probably just me, but I’m much more comfortable sitting in my Seiko Prospex or my Oris TT. My Rolex never sees the light of day, been New Year’s Eve 2018/2019 since I last wore it. My Panerai was May 2019 for a wedding, my Omega was so long ago I can’t remember. I love my Panerai, especially as most people don’t know it’s a fairly expensive watch….but it gets caught a lot on clothing, annoyingly so. The Panerai was second hand, it was a watch I had wanted for close to a decade and saved up for quite a long time to buy.
    I don’t regret buying any of mine, but I’ve only bought them because the price and opportunity was right. I get why people like watches and I can see the beauty in a classic watch and I completely get hooked by the heritage and history of a brand, but for me and it’s only my opinion, an expensive watch you would treat like an investment is a waste of money (unless you wouldn’t miss £10k). I bought my 12 year daughter a Baby G for Xmas, I had my Breitling on and she asked me why my watch is so much more expensive than hers when hers tells the time but also tells the time in multiple countries and has a lap function…..was hard to argue!
    If I was to sell my watches I’d say my Rolex and Panerai are the only ones to be worth more than I paid. My Rolex was a vanity buy and it’s not me as a person. But I got such a good deal on it I couldn’t not buy it (working and living overseas).
    I know people will come back saying they’ve made money on their watches, but for me they are to be enjoyed not to be put away and hope you make money…..I know that’s counter to what I’ve said about my own watches, but they’re not put away to make money, they’re put away because I prefer my Seiko’s. I was thinking of buying a new watch but Mrs W has put a stop to it, because she knows me and knows that I’d prefer to wear a watch of a certain style/value etc. I quite like the Tudor Black Bay Heritage or the Advisor, but I can see why I was over ruled.
    Hope I don’t sound preachy, it’s just my opinion. Same as people don’t ride their good expensive bikes, they’re tools and toys to be used.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Finally got my Constellation back on the wrist.

The bracelet was repaired (FOC) by Nick Davies of this parish.
    He waived the fee as he forgot to post it when he said he would.
    What an absolute gent.

It’s hard to believe this watch was manufactured in 1991. It’s timeless (excuse the pun).

cookeaa

…It seems this is will within spec for the 6R35 movement, but it’s a bit disappointing I think,. I’ll live with it, but had hoped for better.

‘Tis the way of mechanical watch movements unfortunately, higher accuracy costs a lot more.
    personally I’m not sure I’m all that bothered about accuracy from a mechanical watch, if it’s within +/-20sec’s a day I’ll probably be OK with it, I might have a pop at regulating but yours sounds within the bounds of general acceptability and they can settle down with time and use. I prefer it to be on the ‘+’ side if it’s going to be out, at least then I’m not going to be running late for stuff.

But I’ve also come to the conclusion that a mechanical watch is a fun thing to play with on and off and wear for work or ‘occasions’ but if I’m after truly reliable, consistent timekeeping with minimal maintenance and servicing it’s going to have to be a quartz watch of some sort. That’s a boring, unromantic but practical POV, I’d never have a mechanical watch as my only timepiece.

Struggling this morning. Whats the point of buying a Homage, yet I don’t have the money to buy a real one – so a Homage it is. I’d like something different to the Seiko’s so the Submariner Homage’s look good, but the Steinhart looks expensive when you can get a Heimdallr for £200 less.
    Neither will appreciate. In isolation the Steinhart is a lovely watch, but when you choosing between 7 of them and not using 6 that aren’t collectors items why spend a lot on them? The direction I want to go:
    I’m not sure I’mm missing a point currently and that making me indecisive. Maybe I should have saved the money and over a longer period gone for 2-3 collectors pieces.

TBH unless you’re a genuine “highroller” or a proper collector then there’s nothing all that terrible about purchasing homages, they’re watches that take their design cues from another more expensive ‘classic’ product, obviously minus the price tag, don’t worry you’ve still got good taste…

I think Seiko’s own 62 Mas “Reissue” is an interesting case in point, its basically a homage (actually bigger than the original) to one of their own, old products, released as a limited run for a frankly exorbitant price, but that’s all because Seiko have grown ambitions to become a more “Prestigious” manufacturer recently, and drive more demand from “collectors” at a higher price point. Discontinuing SKX line watches seems like a move to drive “middle tear” collector demand and a brief upswing in retail prices while the remaining stock is run out… But nobody actually knows if those values will hold, would you rather own an original 62 Mas, a modern Seiko “reissue” or a “Homage” from another brand?
    All of them will have a Seiko movement of varying quality/provenance, and all are being marketed to customers with an appreciation for the history and design, but only a maniac would buy the Seiko reissue as an “investment” (IMO), it’s arguably the biggest financial gamble.

TBH Watches are mostly a crap “investment” (IMO). Watch speculating is a gamble, predicated on other peoples tastes/nostalgia, a manufacturer’s future fortunes/decision to kill a model off or limit numbers, and fickle fashions and trends.

“Collectors” often ignore things like servicing and/or maintenance costs, and some can get fixated on certain styles, models and/or brands… Some really weird watches occasionally go up in value, you get blips with old TAGs for example, that were probably considered gaudy when they were new, but I’m sure there’s a cycle of nostalgia for “Bad taste bling” that comes round every now and then.

It’s generally better to buy watches you like and can afford to own and use, you’ll get more enjoyment from that.

If you have to “collect” certainly don’t risk the farm, again operate within your financial means and learn your way around the used market, and avoid looking at one brand/model/style.

I have one friend who is a “proper watch collector” and while I know he has some high value pieces, those are outnumbered 20:1 by affordable pieces. He’s as happy chatting about Omega, Seiko or Casio, day to day he tends to wear… wait for it… Seiko. Normally a practical (mechaquartz) chronograph, but seldom the same watch two days in a row…

johnners
    Free Member

Whats the point of buying a Homage, yet I don’t have the money to buy a real one – so a Homage it is. I’d like something different to the Seiko’s so the Submariner Homage’s look good, but the Steinhart looks expensive when you can get a Heimdallr for £200 less.

Kryton, what bothers me about many of your posts on this thread is you seem to agonise about what to buy to the extent that you’re in danger of missing out on any fun and enjoyment you can get from a watch. Give in to an impulse now and then, and maybe have a look at something else other than a Seiko or homage. There are plenty of other watch brands turning out decent pieces and plenty of the Micros have more originality than the run of the mill sub-a-likes. You’re very unlikely to make money on them if you move them on but you also aren’t spending a great deal so you won’t lose much either. Just buy something you like and will enjoy and you’re winning IMO. The one watch in my very modestly priced collection I’m uncertain about is my recently purchased Kamasu. I was captivated by the pretty dial but I’m struggling to connect with the watch. If it turns out to be a mistake and I’ve a watch I never wear I’m out <£200, which isn’t ideal but not a big hit either, and if I shift it on ebay I can even minimise that damage.

Kryton57

Thanks all for the feedback.

Johnners genuine thanks for that observation –  thats my anxiety state that my CBT councillor would refer to as an “intolerance of uncertainty”.  Its good to know, as its difficult to spot when you live within it, it causes this: “is you seem to agonise about..” on a daily basis.

You are of course correct, I probably need to spend a lot of time look at lots of different brands and learning much more…  after I’ve scratched the Rolex homage itch 😀

beanum

@BobSummers, kilo beat me to it but most Magrette watches have big numbers at the cardinal points. They’re sold in limited numbered batches so it depends if you’re a fan of the current designs on offer. This is one example:

Moana Pacific Diver II

null

CountZero

Cookeaa and johners have pretty much made the point I was going to make. I’m in the lucky position of owning three watches that I bought just because I liked them, they were, just about, affordable at the time I bought them, and those three have become collectable, but it’s just pure luck. The Heimdallr homage watches allow me to indulge a small passion I have for a certain type of watch, that I find aesthetically pleasing, they’re well made, and they have a decent quality movement, and I can happily wear them to work and not care about banging them around poking around in cars, ‘cos they’re the epitome of the tool watch. I’ve now got, or will have when the new one turns up, two watches that cost about what I paid for my Seiko SPORK, which I’m not keen on wearing to work any more; the Tuna homage I’m constantly knocking and banging on things, and I don’t care, although, judging by its construction it’ll outlast me, and it’ll never need a battery, either.
    I was toying with the idea of a Tudor Pelageos, I had some money available, and I even went into a shop in Bath and looked at one, but I backed off – I just couldn’t really justify spending around £3k on a watch.
    I haven’t stopped wearing the Tuna since I got it, it’s just become a natural thing to wear, and I’m very fond of it. I would like to change the hands to ones like the MM300 homage has got, just because, like someone earlier said, the arrowhead hands I find a bit fussy, but I don’t know of anyone who could do the work. I’ve got the hands, so maybe it’ll get done one day.
    Kryton, if you like the look of the homage watches, get one, wear it and enjoy it, without any fear of smacking against something and thinking ‘shit, that’s a couple of grand’s worth of watch I’ve just dinged!’, wear it like you stole it! 😁

tthew

I would like to change the hands to ones like the MM300 homage has got, just because, like someone earlier said, the arrowhead hands I find a bit fussy, but I don’t know of anyone who could do the work.

Take it to any local jewellers who repair watches, they’ll change them over quick for you. I know this because that SKX 007 you sold me fell of my wrist and the minute hand came free. 🙄 Local bloke did it while I waited. (it’s back with him again as it happens because it’s not winding properly, I’ve not had much luck with it. 😁)

neilnevill
    Free Member

derek, lovely constellation!

kryton, I’ll agree with many of the comments from others, buy a watch to wear and enjoy. That said I’m a bit like you in that I see something and hanker for it but resist and research and consider…then occasionally buy. I do tend to similarly think that less but higher quality is better. I researched and saved for a year or 2 before buying my Planet Ocean as a 40th gift for myself. 2019 I got married and wanted another watch to mark that and spent 8.5 months before settling on a Blue Pelagos. Although a 20 yo seamaster and a 4 yo sub did pass through my hands too (I made a few quid on both). I enjoy the search and the research loads so \i can wait for months or years and still enjoy it. However when i do get the chance at a good price I’ll not fear acting to nap it up, and I wear them happily.
    That said if you want a Submariner…best of luck. MSRP on a no date is now over £6K, and over £7k for the dat version, but with no history with an AD you will not get one, not unless you are very very lucky. So if you want one you need to save another grand or more and buy grey. If that’s too much widen the search. A Steinhart or other homage is still a good watch…some hommages are phenomenal and still very costly…a MIIk (mark 2 ), such as a Kingston or Nassau. Some of those are limited numbers and will hold value or increase. a Stenhart, as I said I love mine. I still view it as a quality watch with an excellent swiss movement, and this is wear I disagree with cookeaa’s comment about movement accuracy costing. An ETA movement can be had in a £300 watch and is capable of high accuracy. ok my PO and P are better but my Ocean one, when new at least, ran at -6 and virtually no variation. the Sumo’s -6.5 I think is k, but the fact it varies from +12c to -16ish I find disapointing. Seiko are capable of better….the GS spring drive is Quartz accurate.
    Anyway, please don’t feel a steinhart or similar priced hommage is a waste, it isn’t. If that’s your budget do some research on the movements, design details etc and you’ll fall in love with a specific hommage for what it is. If your budget is a grand or 2 look at MIIk, https://www.mkiiwatches.com/nassau
    Or if you don’t want a ‘iffy hommage’ how about a Tudor black bay, or BB58, or a Pelagos? the Pelagos is every bit as good as a seadweller in many mny mny ways, with more than a passing similarity! Where are you BTW? if you are near South London you are welcome to try my Pelagos and Steinhart.

I hope that gives you some ideas to enjoy thinking about!

Kryton57

I was troubled with the Sub because, well everyone has some kind of homage to it, and I already have a 5 Sport and Prospex.   So after some research and going into this eyes wide open I ordered an Alpha Daytona Paul Newman:

Image result for alpha paul newman leather

Another look with a different strap – the black one I’ve ordered is closer to the original, although the original has a silver bezel of course:

Image result for alpha paul newman leather

I like it, it’s hand wind Seagull and different to my other watches.  Hopefully it arrives OK and stays in one piece for a while 🙂 I found this site full of decent reviews of low-md range watches – include this Alpha – which some may find useful:

https://www.watchitallabout.com

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 8,673 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.