Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 8,695 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • ctk
    Free Member
    aphex_2k
    Free Member

You’d think he’d have a few quid for some watch winders eh?

plus-one

That £18 million watch is hideous!!

plus-one

Yes phobias looks good.

I’m still intrigued by the apparently exact copy Rolex though. I had a £30 tin Rolex copy years ago I was young and silly 🙂 It was shite !! I don’t want a real Rolex as they don’t do it for(never mind quality fake)and I’ll never likely have the money to throw at one.

I agree £800 will buy you a beautiful genuine watch from various class watchmakers.

Still reckon there is a market for those that want the look/pass as genuine to the majority of folks. At a fraction of the cost. Looks and feels the part to impress ? I mean why else do folks wear £7k watches ?

bearnecessities

Replicas are just a gateway drug to eventually buying the real thing in most cases – you don’t need to spend $1200 though, that’s daft.

A quick google suggests the latest Submariner is the V9 and is here for half the price:

https://www.intime03.co/rollie/4841-pre-order-submariner-116610-lv-green-ceramic-904l-v9-noob-1-1-best-edition-green-dial-on-sa3135.html

Get yourself reading up on https://rwg.cc/topic/85981-hey-noobor-not-so-noobread-this-now/ and then maybe https://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?/topic/139092-the-top-12-replica-factory/

and get dragged into a world of researching, reading over and over and endless procrastination about whether to part with any money.

But think carefully before parting with your money – you’ll probably feel a little dirty wearing it 🙂

plus-one

Wow there really are a lot of companies making high end replicas!!

plyphon
    Free Member

1200 of anything for a replica is absolutely bonkers.

Save for another year and get the watch you want. Or look at alternatives like Tudor.

For those on instagram, there are some great ‘name and shame’ fake watch spotting accounts on instagram – mainly rappers getting called out.

https://www.instagram.com/fakewatchbusta/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/rolex_enforcer/?hl=en
    https://www.instagram.com/fake_watch_hunter/?hl=en

The ‘lifestyle guru’ style guys who push their ripoff fashion businesses fronting with fake daydates and GMTs get me the most.

bearnecessities

Wow there really are a lot of companies making high end replicas!!

There really are, and there are a lot which will have your trousers down for those replicas such as you initially linked.

If you get into it enough, you’ll realise you can buy a watch you have always loved the look of for a fraction of the price and not too far off the quality. But you will always know it’s not really the watch you wanted.

So be sure that’s it’s a replica that you want (and take no notice of the patronising nonsense posted above about impressing people). Most people don’t buy a watch to impress anyone – 99.9% of folk won’t notice. It’s because  it’s something you’ve always wanted.

However if you do buy a replica, you’ll probably end up just wishing you had bought an original.

And one day, you probably will 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

I tend to agree with bear’s thoughts. If you want a watch that is wel made and worth a bit for whatever reason…something to pass on to kids for example, then you get the real thing. if you want a well made watch that is better value you can look at the fakes, or the homages. I thought this one through a bit a while ago and for me a good homage is honest, its not trying to fake, its flattery by imitation, and decent value. So I got a Steinhart to use as a beater, but if you like the fake and think its good value for what it is (not because its 1/4 the price of the rolex..its nota rolex, ignore the rolex…is it a decent watch at the price it costs? on its own merit) then why not get it? Although i think if they spent less effort on faking the lazer etched coronet in the crystal (if they do) and so on, it wouldn’t detract from the quality and would be better value….but a worse fake.

neilnevill
    Free Member

This thread is dangerous….I’m thinking I will try and dash to Harrods tomorrow lunch time to see some watches there.

rene59
    Free Member

(and take no notice of the patronising nonsense posted above about impressing people). Most people don’t buy a watch to impress anyone

I get the distinct impression that’s exactly what he wants one for.

bearnecessities

And I’m sure he values your contribution to the thread 🙃

plus-one

On another note my Seiko arrived from creation. I’m very pleased with it 🙂 However do seiko generally have screw down crown ? Mine doesn’t just pulls out to adjust and you push it back in it only turns and turns ? I’ve emailed seiko U.K. I thought I’d ask you learned gents on here too .

tthew

My quartz Seiko works exactly as you describe. Pull out to adjust, (one click for date, two for time) push it home then the crown is free to spin.

edit – also 100m water resistant so probably similar sealing arrangement.

bearnecessities

I regret all the advice I’ve just given.

CountZero

I bought this in 2013, pretty much my idea of the perfect watch, clear, uncluttered and dead easy to read at a glance.
    Several years later, I did seriously consider buying a Tudor, going as far as visiting a shop in Bath and looking at one, trying it on, but leaving undecided.
    I didn’t go back, I realised that while the Tudor is a lovely watch, I couldn’t justify the £1850 price difference.

sas78

Love a Spork CountZero. Sold mine last year and immediately regretted it. Things of beauty they are.

plus-one

tthew cheers I thought maybe it was faulty. Guessing it seals with just pushing in.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

On another note my Seiko arrived from creation. I’m very pleased with it 🙂 However do seiko generally have screw down crown ? Mine doesn’t just pulls out to adjust and you push it back in it only turns and turns ? I’ve emailed seiko U.K. I thought I’d ask you learned gents on here too .

No not all Seikos have screw down crowns. Diver’s do, but faux divers and other Seikos don’t. Often a watch with 100m / 10atm or more will have a screw down.

My retro 6309 does have a screw down, however I avoid getting it wet just on the off chance it’s not entirely waterproof.

Which model did you get? … Pics!!!

plus-one

It’s sne473p1 Really like it perfect size face and very comfy strap.

It is 100m waterproof ?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yeah err…. Don’t take that in the shower maybe….

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Spotting a couple of pics on instagram led me to buying a ‘Casio Royale’ in Argos over Christmas. Its getting a lot more wrist time than far more expensive watches I have.

Modified it by removing the bars either side of the World Time map, removing the metal strap and adding a 22mm Nato adapter:

Starting to get hooked on modifying cheaper watches now, which is probably healthier for my wallet than collecting expensive ones…

plyphon
    Free Member

Interesting those defending fake watches don’t consider the organized crime aspect of stimulating the counterfeit goods market.

There are many quality watches from honest companies for every price point. There is no reason to buy a fake watch unless you want a Rolex/<brand> without paying for it – which means you’re only buying it to impress others because you sure ain’t buying it for the quality craftsmanship in the counterfeit goods.

tthew

It is 100m waterproof ?

Well it says so on the face 🙂 I’m not particularly precious about nannying my watch. It’ll definitely have been in the shower, washing up and bike wash bucket in it’s life and it’s never shown any signs of water or misting up inside.

Have to say Scott, you made a rubbish job of removing the trim off that watch face. Those left behind sprues would drive me mad!

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Nice mod on the World Time Scott. I got one last autumn off the back off the Hodinkee article and despite thinking I didn’t like bracelets it’s now one of my most worn watches. Had it on today in fact, until this arrived – £40 unknown quartz Moonphase / Calendar that scratches an itch whilst I save for an Explorer 😉

watch

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Have to say Scott, you made a rubbish job of removing the trim off that watch face. Those left behind sprues would drive me mad!

They’ve already been driving me mad,and are getting trimmed down with a scalpel later.

CountZero

@aphex_2k – there’s some serious lume going on there! I thought my SPORK was bright, but that, well you’ll need to wear shades! 😁
    Although, I think I still prefer the Vanuatu, I like the slightly Art Deco look of the hands, etc.

rmacattack
    Free Member

https://zeloswatches.com/collections/mako-500m-diver?mc_cid=4ef1865683&mc_eid=b875306497

Bronze version is back in stock, rest are still sold out.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’ve got a few watches to rotate but my Sinn 240ST seems to be semi-permanent. It looks so good and is really comfortable. Excellent lume too for bedtime.

ElShalimo

The lume on that Helm is bonkers, it would stop you sleeping!

Has anyone got a Dan Henry divers watch? To me they look very nice and understated and not too expensive

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Spinnaker watches eh…?

How about 20% off a Spinnaker watch?

**FOR 20% OFF THIS OR ANY SPINNAKER USE ‘JOMW20’**
    https://www.spinnaker-watches.com

Taken from Jody’s “Just one more watch” youtube link.

My pleasure….

CountZero

Love a Spork CountZero. Sold mine last year and immediately regretted it. Things of beauty they are.

I was having a search online for second-hand (see what I did there?) SPORKS, just out of curiosity, to see what sort of prices they’re fetching now.
    I paid £350 for mine, NOS – they’re now going for north of $700, mostly up around $1200. Which is pleasing.
    It now means that three watches I bought just because I liked them are fetching really quite significant prices well above what I paid.
    I have no intention at all of selling any of them, but it’s nice to know I’d make a tidy sum if I did.

CountZero

That Spinnaker Dumas is a nice looking watch! Good price, too.

plus-one

Antiques roadshow tonight(last 10 mins) retired diver of 20 years has two comex submariners. One valued £20k other £50k.

Clearly filmed back in summer. One on eBay for £85k !!

Impressive

aphex_2k
    Free Member

That Spinnaker Dumas is a nice looking watch! Good price, too.

Even better with 20% off. I like it’s chunky angles.

CountZero

@plus one – yeah, I saw that, those are watches with enviable provenance, that’s for sure. I don’t actually know who or what Comex are, should google it really.
    There’s a bunch of different Comex businesses listed, but the French underwater engineering company would appear to be the one. While I searching, I found this Comex Rolex for sale at Watchcentre in London…
    https://www.watchcentre.com/product/rolex-very-rare-comex-sea-dweller-vintage-gents-stainless-steel-black-dial-1665/1263
    😳

aphex_2k
    Free Member

ElShalimo

The lume on that Helm is bonkers, it would stop you sleeping!

Nah, you’d fall asleep staring at it! I used to have a Luminox watch which had tritium tubes in. So nice to look at when it’s dark (shame the actual watch was an overpriced bag of cack – marketed as a Navy SEAL watch – no screw down crown and water got inside, common issue, got rid of it).

If anyone fancies a Ti diver the Hamtun H2 is launching very soon – British Microbrand – Ti diver, 200m, screw down, NH35, sapphire with AR and a coated Ti bracelet which is being marketed as “scratch proof”.

ElShalimo

@aphex_2k – re Helm watches, how much import duty and VAT do you need to pay on one? I’m very tempted…..

plus-one

Been looking at these for a while. Resisted until now as I thought I’d neglect my other watches 🙁 I sort of have been I’ve had this on 4 days straight inc sleeping. I’ll get bored with the data etc and go back to rotating my others soon I hope 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 8,695 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.