• This topic has 8,686 replies, 407 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by Kryton57.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 8,687 total)
  • Watches N+1…
  • Holyzeus
    Free Member

Elshalimo/ Cookeaa
    $214 but bare in mind you will possibly incur customs fees, Massdrop will deliver outside the States

plyphon
    Free Member

Jeez how many watch companies are there !!

A lot of the cheaper end simply rebrand Chinese catalogue watches with their logo and call it a day (the same as some cheaper end bike parts do). Even mechanical watches can be found for pennies on Aliexpress. Daniel Wellington are most famous for turning that into a massive industry.

Wally

Yay! Its weekend watch time with a curry and a glass of Malbec.
    What have you rotated to? myself a 1962 Seamaster. Going to hit the old watch guy in Truro (Truro goldsmiths) hard this summer when I go down to him. Saving pennies…

neilnevill
    Free Member

Hmm. I think I may need to get the SMP serviced. It’s showing variation on its time keeping, worn today and lost 26 seconds over 24 hours. yesterday not worn it gained 2.5 seconds. I’ll get it on the clever machine in the shop, try a few orientations, and see how much Daryll’s Omega trained guy might charge.

bennn
    Free Member

Going (used) watch shopping tomorrow for something nice for my 30th!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Well?

CountZero

@ElShalamo – Massdrop will send to the UK, the only issue involves knives, because of local laws and customs. I’ve bought a bunch of things via Massdrop, MeeAudio IEM’s, torches, a variety of things, in fact I’ve just joined a drop for a Lumintop titanium penlight, to replace a rather crappy alloy one I got from Amazon.

@cookeaa
    – it’s $214.99

CountZero

Re: weekend watch – I’ve been wearing the Casio G-101 for some time, it’s a practical work watch that can take being banged about, and I generally forget to take it off at the weekend, but I’ve swapped over to the Rallygraf, just for a change, and being completely mechanical, and not an auto, it has to be wound every 12 hours or so.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

With what looks like a 2 year waitlist for Rolex Subs… There seems to be a fair few on eBay around the $8k mark. Dubious? Risky? Worth a shot if you’re in the market for one?

Kryton57

I’ve been doing some thinking for a while. When this thread starting I would have loved a Rolex Sub. The style is something I really like, and Rolex has the brand justification. BUT my Seiko Samurai is soooo lovely its really taken the shine of paying that kind of price for a similar looking watch.

BUT, I went on to read about the Citizen Chronomaster and I’ve falling for it. I got enthralled by Citizen back story, the 100% made in Japan and with the Chronomaster build – the dial made of the thinnest hand crafted paper in the world and of course each piece is unique, the titanium numerals/ case etc hand polished using the same precise and skilled Japanese method developed in the past for Samurai Katana and the fact each one is hand built by one of only 4-5 skilled craftsman that exist to do so. All of that Far Eastern mythology entrals me.

So, I’m saving for my 50th – 3 years – and it may be difficult to get but that’s now what I’m aiming for as my dream watch.

This Is One of the Most Accurate Watches In the World and You’ve Probably Never Heard of It

neilnevill
    Free Member

That’s what it’s about, falling for a watch for it’s back story and details. Not just for a coronet on the crown.

bearnecessities

And mine appears to have packed up!

Put it on yesterday after a few days not wearing, set the time and carried on with my day. Normally this would charge it up from the off.

An hour later, time hadn’t changed.

Wiggled it around for about a minute  – about 30 seconds of movement.

Wound the crown manually – nothing.

Carried on wearing for rest of the afternoon – nothing.

Thankfully, still under guarantee – but that’s a real surprise. 2 years old, worn daily, never wet, never bashed – hey ho 🙂

CountZero

@bearnecessities – that sounds like a mainspring issue. The Yema in the photo above did that about 18 months or so ago, it’s not an auto, you just have to wind it by hand, but one day I started to wind it and it just kept on winding with no gradual tension, which was a bit of a giveaway. Cost me £400-odd to get it fixed! It’s over forty years old, so a bit out of warranty…

CountZero

This might be of interest to the serious watch fans on here, Omega are starting production of the Calibre 321 movement as used in all the watches worn by NASA astronauts, they’ve set up a dedicated production shop and team specifically for that movement. No news yet on what the watch that carries it will be.
    https://newatlas.com/omega-reintroduces-moon-watch-movement/58014/

bennn
    Free Member

Never got watch shopping this weekend, life gets in the way unfortunately. Current frontrunners are these though if anyone is interested?

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/rolex-submariner-date—black—rare-t25-dial–id8653836.htm

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/submariner-16610—black-dial—1989–id6777010.htm

Both of the above would be ‘birthyear’ watches, which is appealing, but the lack of box & papers is worrying me slightly..

Also, whilst dithering, I’ve really warmed to this – https://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/explorer-ii-orange-hand–id9865508.htm which is nearly new, but would mean a trip down to the big smoke to try it on. I’ve got a 42mm Seiko diver which suits my wrist size slightly better, over the older 40mm Subs.

Any thoughts?

plus-one

None of those links work bennn 🙁

Tiger6791

Right I’d love to know more about this little Omega, where shall I go to find out about it?

It’s tiny (it’s a pocket watch but smaller than a wristwatch) it still works, I don’t really have a use for it but every now and again I wind it up and I like it for no reason.

Movement.

Next to Great…great….great…great..Grandson..(I think there’s 111 years between them)

bennn
    Free Member

Hmm strange, copy and pasted them from my browser, will try again.

Edit: god knows how to make links work, damnit!

bennn
    Free Member
    plus-one

All lovely watches I’d love to have to choose between them 🙂 The explorer 2 would be my choice.

neilnevill
    Free Member

oh dear Bear! Aquaterra isn’t it? same 8500 calibre coaxial as my PO? With any auto you should always start by fully winding them at the crown, picking up and shaking is not a good way to start them, its asking for them to stop again….but won’t damage them. I’ve no idea what is wring if it won’t start when the crown is given 30 turns or so.

Well my (new to me)2 year old SMP…. I expected it to speed up over 3 or 4 days as it had sat in a cold cold shop window for a month or 2 and the oil would be cld, thick and not spread around. It did speed up and when left dial up it was not far out, gaining 6 seconds a day. Trouble is, dial down it loses 15 seconds a day and on the wrist it can lose 15 to 30 seconds a day. All those amounts are easily regulated, but the variability says to me it needs a service as that can’t be regulated. Need to make the time to talk to Daryll and see what he reckons. I suspect I’ll get his guy to do it though rather than sending it off to Switzerland. we’ll see.

neilnevill
    Free Member

buying from a reputable shop do you really need the papers? If you ever send it off to Rolex for a service that would ‘authenticate’ it with paper work adding some of the value lost from the missing papers back…kind of making the service cost less.

I don’t like the expolorer so much…just personal, it doesn’t do it for me. Being newer though its got better bits…I don’t know the detail but i bet the movement is a little better and isn’t it a glidelock strap? the older sub straps aren’t

as to which sub, do you prefer the T25 dial or the other, is the other the maxi? So the difference is the size of the dots? its personal preference …I go for the non t25 i think but not much in it.

bennn
    Free Member

Think both of the Subs are the same. The Explorer grows on me more the more I look at it though.

bearnecessities

Neil, yes an 8500 AT.

I’ve just picked it up to and wound it first, and blow me it set off just fine. Still baffled as I’ve never had to wind it before to get it going after going ‘flat’, but as you seem to suggest – from the moment it didn’t yesterday, I did everything wrong – clearly wearing/twiddling it and then winding it sent it into a sulk. (Would love an explanation why that happens if you happen to know?)

Feeling a bit silly, but saved me from a trip to the AD where I would have looked even sillier. Ta 🙂

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m not sure why it is but it is very well known to be best to wind a flat auto on the crown, and FULLY too. If just shaken and wound on the rotor they don’t tend to get fully wound and tend to go into a slk and stop after an hour or 6. Its one of those things like, only adjust the time going forwards, never back…no real reasoning to it except the movement is designed to go forwards. Oh and you do know with quickset date, never adjust the date when the time is close to midnight right? by close I mean within say 6 hours either side. That one can BREAK the mechanism.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Tiger, I think based on size that was a very early wrist watch. WHen they were first coming about they were often small pocket watches worn in little wrist strap/pounchy things i think.

plyphon
    Free Member

Completely anecdotal but on other forums people are saying they are getting calls for Subs within 2 months or less currently, in various places around the world.

plus-one

Chisholm Hunter at south gyle shopping Centre in Edinburgh have a lovely collection of pre-owned rolex’s

plus-one

What’s the consensus on this ?

Rolex Submariner SS Green Ceramic Bezel

Blurb reckon it will fool any jeweler even taking back off ?

Good call or fools errand ?

derek_starship
    Free Member

It may be within ng/nm tolerance but it’s not a Rolex.

It’s a step up from the wares of the lucky-lucky man.

And over $1200! Delusional buyers only.

MrSmith
    Free Member

What’s the consensus on this ?

it’s a fake watch.

not much more to be said.

rene59
    Free Member

$1200 for a counterfeit watch just screams sad wannabe. You could pick up 2 or 3 genuine good quality watches for that.

stevemorg2

Any suggestions for the best place to sell my Yobokies SNK809 orange 656? Bought it just before Christmas and love the look of it but have decided it’s a little too small on my wrist and it’s too nice not to use

plus-one

Ok no love for fakes on here I understand.

But with waiting list to spunk £7k^ on a submariner 🙁 £800 on a watch made with same metals(mostly) made in Switzerland and easily passing the(I’m considerably richer than you) test ! Worth consideration?

rene59
    Free Member

I wouldn’t spend £7k on a real one as I’ve better things to do with that kind of cash, I wouldn’t spend £800 on fake one either when there are dozens of genuine quality watches out there for that money.

What do you think you will get out of owning a fake rolex? Kudos from idiots? Admiration from lovely young ladies looking to bag a rich man? It matches one of your knock off suits? I don’t get it I’m afraid.

Blurb reckon it will fool any jeweler even taking back off ?

The watch battery guy at the market might be fooled. A rolex dealer I very much doubt it.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I can’t comment on that rolex fake but i know some fakes are very very good visually , even the movement. I remember Daryll at Crystal Palace Jewelers telling me of a Panerai luminor case he had (genuine) that he’d got his repar guy to fit a chinese fake movement into (for his own use, not to sell). it was such a close match the original OEM screws all fitted the movement.
    Will the materials be as good? will it stand the test of time? I should ask him…must have been 5 years ago he told me about the PAM.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

PlusOne

I’d look at the Phoibos 007 in green which is very very similar but a fraction of the price. Great lume, very good reviews.

230 quid or thereabouts.

https://phoiboswatch.com/products/phoibos-py007a-300m-automatic-diver-watch-green.html

MrSmith
    Free Member

I don’t get it I’m afraid.

Fake watches are for fake people.

RustySpanner

and easily passing the(I’m considerably richer than you) test !

You’re meant to laugh at them, not with them.

ctk
    Free Member

YOu would have to be pretty desperate to deliberately buy a fake Rolex. Makes me wonder about all the used Rolex on ebay etc though.

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 8,687 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.