Home Forums Bike Forum Wake MTB parts!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wake MTB parts!?
  • cboardmantxcpro29er
    Free Member

I asked a question over in my other thread about Chinese carbon handlebars and one poster was of the opinion that they would have been of poor quality and likely to fail.
    However, I see a lot of “Wake” branded stuff on eBay which might be a step up, because they put a name to the brand.
    I am after a riser stem for my Boardman TXC Pro 29’er MTB due to a short steering tube, which rules out spacers.
    I have seen this Wake stem which really fits the bill at 70mm and raises the bars up nicely.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adjustable-MTB-Bike-Bicycle-Handlebar-Stem-Aluminum-Short-Riser-Fixed-70-90-110M/164024175530?hash=item26309a4baa:m:mj05l5Gt2TBuy9GRUV_u9hw
    I would like to know the general consensus on Wake components, if at all possible.
    I went on CRC and saw this “Funn” stem.
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/funn-stryge-stem/rp-prod148380
    But the rise isn’t much on it and I want a decent rise so that I might be able to avoid changing bars. If the clamp height is lower which it looks like it might be, I may be able to sneak a couple spacers underneath, but it doesn’t provide actual measurements.

Cheers!

dirkpitt74

Suppose it depends on how hard you ride.
    My 13yo Lads bike has a Wake stem, but he’s light and more wheels on the ground than some his age.

mrchrist

I had some cheap carbon bars on my commuter. Was fine.

No way I would have cheap carbon stuff on my mountain bike. That is just my perception though. No evidence or data to justify it. Just not a chanc i would take.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

I would avoid Wake parts.

Had their Funn Funnduro stem copy. After 3rd or 4th re-installation of the handlebars I pulled thread from two face plate holes.

Never had it with any other stem, even cheap Promax or Zoom.

Also finishing is on rather poor side. CNC very rudiment, no final touches.

I would rather buy something cheap, but properly branded.

Dental surgery is much, much more expensive…
    Cheers!
    I.

cboardmantxcpro29er
    Free Member

Well, whatever stem I do get, it will be shorter than the 120mm Pro Richley on there at the moment, as even at 6’2 with long arms, it is quite a stretch for me to reach unless I adopt the XC position, which is uncomfortable not to mention unsafe for dirt jumps!

stevextc
    Free Member

Never seen one break by anyone who owns a torque wrench (not necessary to use one every time just know what ball park stems are meant to be tightened to). Had 2 .. and 2 sets of Wake Alloy bars (Jnr gets cheap bars and then they get changed for longer ones as he grows, he’s not heavy but he’s rough on bikes) .. he piled his bars into a tree at speed a couple of months ago (to save the bike going off a big drop onto the fireroad/uplift) whilst he bailed and took a huge chunk out of the tree without damaging the bars.

Your bike will however be 11.68% slower, you can reduce this down to 8.44% using a sticker over the logo.

hols2
    Free Member

the XC position, which is uncomfortable not to mention unsafe for dirt jumps!

You have an XC bike. It will break if you use it for dirt jumps. Don’t worry though, a skilled proctologist should be able to make you whole again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wake MTB parts!?’ is closed to new replies.