Home Forums Chat Forum Using out of date caulk.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Using out of date caulk.
  • bigginge

I’ve got some no nonsense decorators caulk that is about a year past its expiration date and some skirting boards that I’d quite like to fill tonight ready for painting tomorrow. I’m fairly sure using this isn’t going to kill me but will it likely still work or is it just going to do a shit job?

Short version; should I crack on or wait until tomorrow to get a fresh tube?

kormoran
    Free Member

What’s the seal by date?

cheers_drive

I think the date just means it may have set it used after that date. If it’s still flowing crack on

bigginge

May 2023.

It’s been kept in a cool, and slightly damp, cellar if that makes much difference.

thelawman

I genuinely struggle to see how that stuff could ever* go ‘off’ in a hermetically sealed tube. A year sounds perfectly fine to me. I’ve got one on the garage that says its expiry date is 06/24, and I’ll not be binning it anytime soon.

*OK, maybe after decades if there’s some sort of osmosis-like seepage through the plastic. But otherwise, unlikely.

Cougar

Sounds like an edge case to me

ElShalimo

It’s it white caulk or black caulk?

How big of a hole do you want to fill?

maccruiskeen

If it’s still flowing crack on

on crack

kormoran
    Free Member

Maccruiskeen Caulkin, wasn’t that you in Hame Alone?

tjagain

I had some like that – it went chalky and semi solid in the tube.  Only one way to find out if its still ok – try it

Tom83

If it still flows nicely, I’d use it.

lambchop
    Free Member

It’ll be fine.

retrorick

If it pushes easily out of the sealant gun it’ll probably be ok.

I opened a 10yr old clear silicone sealant recently by cutting the end off the tube and a solid block of silicone came out. It might have some use somewhere but it won’t be sealing any cracks.

bigginge

Just finished up and it all seems fine. Boring but satisfactory result.

alpin
    Free Member

alpin
    Free Member

revs1972
    Free Member

😂😂

tall_martin

The perfect mix of actually useful DIY tips and innuendo 🤣

jeffl

Back OT, if it flows it will be fine. I tried to use some caulk that was out-of-date and it was super thick, didn’t flow well and when I tried to shape it, it just clagged up. You’ll soon know if it isn’t any good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

just hawk tuah on it?

eckinspain
    Free Member

Sniff it. If it smells ok then give it a taste. If it tastes ok then carry on.

(also, please don’t)

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.