Home Forums Chat Forum UK Election!

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 8,917 total)
  • UK Election!
  • mefty
    Free Member

“I’m guessing this means that the local party won’t have a clue yet who will be replacing him so with luck Labour will make a good show of it.”

Gyles Brandreth’s daughter, Aphra, is the Tory candidate – has been in place for some time – nice lady.

ernielynch

I have an irrational and yet intense dislike for Gyles Brandreth. I don’t know why.

somafunk

I have an irrational and yet intense dislike for Gyles Brandreth. I don’t know why.

He’s Tory, and always appeared in interviews to be a smug ****,

susepic

I suspect that the tactical voting sites will update as we get closer. Worth looking at who is funding each one, as there’s opportunities for mischief. The Carol Vorderman one you’d think is reliable and well resourced and algorithmed

maccruiskeen

I’m just watching Richi chatting shite on the news in a Midlands factory. Why would you agree/volunteer to sit behind or anywhere near the arsehole and not swear at him or heckle?

The reason you go to factories and other workplaces rather than town halls, the high street, a park, a library etc is to seem to be meeting ‘the people’ whilst specifically not to meeting the public. Business owners, supportive of your cause, have control over entry to the premises and  can choose who is present –  and that can of course extend to filling the room with people who don’t actually work in said workplace but will happily be dressed up to look like they do.

What’s surprising about the midland factory visit isnt that the plants in the audience were in fact Tory Councillors who’d been bussed in – but that they managed to find some Tory Councillors who are still Tory Councillors.

kimbers

There’s no way they can vet these people properly

https://x.com/PGMcNamara/status/1793702331961450798?t=FNljCGJB5ss8m4Gmwcm5IQ&s=19

MoreCashThanDash

The reason you go to factories and other workplaces rather than town halls, the high street, a park, a library etc is to seem to be meeting ‘the people’ whilst specifically not to meeting the public. Business owners, supportive of your cause, have control over entry to the premises and can choose who is present –

I will spit in the gutter as Sunday’s club ride goes past West Transport then…..

maccruiskeen

Its been suggested that part of the reason for the hasty election is to railroad Reform into running candidates that they haven’t had time to vet properly so that any dirty laundry that brings to light hampers their campaign. Seems they didn’t take their own party’s situation into account.

grahamt1980

I can’t help but wonder if there will be some seats with no tory standing.  If you have no hope,  why would you waste the time?

dissonance

Why would you agree/volunteer to sit behind or anywhere near the arsehole and not swear at him or heckle?

There seems to have been two types of people involved.

The imported tory councillors etc and then some real staff.

First set is self explanatory and as for the second. I think that can be answered by the boss saying “chances are Sunak will lost his main job in six weeks. Do you want to beat him to the jobcentre?”

If I knew he was coming the week before I would definitely be buying some lottery tickets but when they didnt give me retirement money would zip my mouth.

MoreCashThanDash

To be fair, since the collapse of the BNP, a lot of the locals round Ilson have become Tory voters.

slowoldman

Day 1…

I thought that was a bit purile really. They have to be very careful with this kind of stuff.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I thought that was a bit purile really. They have to be very careful with this kind of stuff.

Yeah, sure.

Sa

Edit: oh for **** sake it’s a picture of Ed Miliband eating a bacon buttie. Ffs it’s 2024 and the one thing that worked now doesn’t.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah can’t say that I was blown away by that Labour vid.  Then again I wasn’t too chuffed when they let in Elphicke either!

binners

The body language of the Tory who drew the short straw and is on QT  tonight says ‘please good,  just let’s get this over with’

Channel 4 news reporting earlier that on Rishi’s visit to some factory or other today, where he did his nauseating head boy routine, the people who asked the questions were plants. They were local Tory councillors given hi viz vests to make it look like they worked there and ask pre-prepared questions

He really is a pathetic little worm!

jam-bo

Then again I wasn’t too chuffed when they let in Elphicke either!

are they under any obligation to select her as a candidate?

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Really? No-one’s mentioned the councillors asking questions…

I can’t help but wonder if there will be some seats with no tory standing.  If you have no hope,  why would you waste the time?

You have to serve a couple of hopeless elections in unwinnable seats before you get picked for a viable one. At least, that was it traditionally – maybe the rules are different now.

If you were purely interested in seeking power, you’d join the Tories now, serve loyally at an election, lose, and then exploit the bloodletting and open posts in the next parliament to claw your way up.

PJM1974
    Free Member

They can’t even properly vet their own MPs.

ernielynch

You have to serve a couple of hopeless elections in unwinnable seats before you get picked for a viable one. At least, that was it traditionally – maybe the rules are different now.

The first seat which Rishi Sunak contested for the Tories was a safe Tory seat in the 2015 GE.

Similarly the first seat Keir Starmer contested for Labour was a safe Labour seat in the 2015 GE.

Enthusiastic self-serving political careerists can be catapulted straight to the top in modern UK politics. They don’t really need any experience these days, not even a stint as a local councillor.

binners

You have to serve a couple of hopeless elections in unwinnable seats before you get picked for a viable one. At least, that was it traditionally – maybe the rules are different now

The bell ends they sent out to bat in the red wall seats in 2019 were never expected to win but, you know… Jeremy Corbyn. So hey ho… here we are.

So we get Gullis and Lee Anderson and my **** of an MP James Daly. They’ll all be gone as quickly as they came but we’ve all had to endure these utter ****-wits for 5 years and just look at the damage they’ve done

Northwind

politecameraaction
    Free Member

Really? No-one’s mentioned the councillors asking questions…

It ought to be a big deal but that’s just an indication of how far things have gone wrong. People just aren’t shocked or even really disappointed about it, it’s just another sigh. Not good.

CountZero

Very skeptical that people will turn to smaller parties when FPTP still exists, especially in our world of polarised politics, where if you dont vote for one of the 2 main parties you are helping the other one,

far more people simply wont vote than vote for either reform, green or the lib dems

Chippenham has been Conservative for decades, and the town council has been largely Conservative as well, but with new boundaries from 2023, the seat could change. In 2019 the results were:

Con – 54.6%

Lib – 31.3%

Lab – 12.3%

Green – 1.9%

Conservative majority of 23.2%

Now the situation regarding chance of winning:

Con – 30%

Lib – 56%

Lab – 14%

Green – 0%

Reform – 0%

The only people canvassing during the last council election were Liberals, I had a couple of Conservative leaflets stuffed through my letterbox, which went straight into my recycling, and I can’t remember when I last saw a poster for a Labour candidate.

ratherbeintobago

@jam-bo They’ve already selected someone else but in any case she’s not standing.

kormoran
    Free Member

ernielynch

Deviation. Intense dislike for Giles Brandreth is perfectly rational

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, not liking a smug tory **** is pretty natural.

ernielynch

The thing is I can’t remember the last time Brandreth made a comment which could be described as political, so it can’t be that.

And yet I do intensely dislike him. I guess it’s probably that he extrudes “needy attention seeker” every time he’s on the telly.

grimep
    Free Member

Keir Starmer

Angela Rayner

Rachel Reeves

Richard Burgon

Annelise Dodds

Sadiq Khan

Andy Burnham

Yvette Cooper

Wes Streeting

Ed Miliband

David Lammy

Pat McFadden

Shabana Mahmood

Louise Haigh

Thangnam Debbonaire

Emily Thornberry

Lisa Nandy

God help us. If you can, emigrate.

nickc

Yeah, I know right, It’s been the dream team up until now.

verses

Have you seen the video of him and Gary Glitter chatting on the sofa on TVAM?  It’s, erm, yewtree-worthy…

dudeofdoom

It ought to be a big deal but that’s just an indication of how far things have gone wrong. People just aren’t shocked or even really disappointed about it, it’s just another sigh. Not good.

Didn’t actually didn’t mind  that labour vid pointing it out.

I’m more worried about people not voting,reform standing down and him sliding back in.

I can’t see it happening but strange times.

MoreCashThanDash

Deviation. Intense dislike for Giles Brandreth is perfectly rational

But no hesitation, to be fair.

mahowlett
    Free Member

That tactical vote site seems to be using the data from the 2019 election, so it’s not really helpful, my constituency had a massive tory majority with LibDem a long way back and Labour even further behind, so it suggests a LibDem tactical vote. All the more recent polls I can find now show all 3 parties are now pretty close at about 30% of the votes each, which would mean you should just vote for which ever opposition party you fancy…

jam-bo

God help us. If you can, emigrate

missing you already..

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, another benefit of Labour getting in is that some utter **** may emigrate.  Problem is they say they will but never actually do it.

kormoran
    Free Member

grimep

Free Member

Keir Starmer

Angela Rayner

Rachel Reeves

Richard Burgon

Annelise Dodds

Sadiq Khan

Andy Burnham

Yvette Cooper

Wes Streeting

Ed Miliband

David Lammy

Pat McFadden

Shabana Mahmood

Louise Haigh

Thangnam Debbonaire

Emily Thornberry

Lisa Nandy

God help us. If you can, emigrate.

In the time it took you to type that out, you could have made yourself a nice cup of chamomile tea

grahamt1980

In that time they could have listed their house and booked the tickets to somewhere that might have them……. maybe rwanda?

ernielynch

You appear to be totally convinced that the Tories won’t win the general election on July 4th grimep, why?

What have the Tories done which convinces you that they stand no chance of winning?

I thought Rishi Sunak sounded quite buoyant yesterday.

grahamt1980

I thought Rishi Sunak sounded quite buoyant yesterday.

Considering what we have to float on in the country, that would include nearly everything

politecameraaction
    Free Member

grimep Free Member

…Thangnam Debbonaire…

You’re not fond of government Thangnam-style?

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 8,917 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.