Home Forums Chat Forum Toddler drawing upside down but correctly

• This topic has 29 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gerti.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Toddler drawing upside down but correctly
  • ojom
    Free Member

Evening.

Anyone got any experience of their wee one drawing people upside down but perfectly/the same as normal way up?

Our girl will draw most of the time the normal way but occasionally will do it upside down but not realise when asked that it is the wrong way up and insists it’s right .Technically she’s right, it is absolutely correct as in the face and hair and body are all perfectly composed but upside down.

Nursery reports she does the same and no other kid (30 in the class) does it .

We’re intrigued and not at all concerned by it, just curious as to how she is seeing things.

She’ll be 4 in October.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Australian?

ojom
    Free Member

Ha. Nah just average Scottish folk.

km79
    Free Member

I don’t think I ever drew upside down, but at the same age I used to look at things and read everything upside down, I also wrote things backwards. Never lasted long and from what my mum said it never caused any concern.

Esme
    Free Member

If she also learns to read and write upside down, that’s a handy skill for a teacher.

ojom
    Free Member

To be fair I can read and write perfectly upside down so it’s probably normal. Guess you don’t see your own things sometimes.

cbike
    Free Member

It’s normal.  I’ve seen my nephew do this but he doesn’t anymore.  mirrored writing is also a normal development stage for some.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Midwich Cuckoo

sirromj

Is she a fan of Georg Baselitz?

wrightyson
    Free Member

My boy would write everything backwards from the middle of the left hand page of a book for a while, it concerned us at the time hugely ( looking back I don’t know why) As in words and his own name. Not common apparently but documented and understood. He’s now 13 doing well at school and rides a mountain bike very well so I shouldn’t worry.

olly2097
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry. My lad is 4 in early Nov and can’t draw anything other than scribble. Nothing. No attempt.

legend
    Free Member

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Ha. Nah just average Scottish folk.

Normal Scottish, or somewhere odd like Fife or *shudders* Ayrshire?

</div>

RustySpanner

Have you tried turning the paper the other way round?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Normal Scottish, or somewhere odd like Fife or *shudders* Ayrshire?

It’s either a very brave or a very stupid man that lumps those two together, even more so implying one is worse than the other.

The fact there was a toll in only on direction on the Tay and Forth road bridges speaks volumes.

JoeG
    Free Member

nobbysideways
    Free Member

Shouldn’t they be buried in XBOX games and grunting for communication by that age?

It sounds like you have the right mindset; everything is normal for that individual. As long as they are happy, everything is sweet.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Is the image flipped or rotated? ( genuinely interested.)

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝdʎʇ ǝɯ sǝʞɐɯ ɹǝǝq ɥɔnɯ oo┴

johnners
    Free Member

Upside down is how the image is actually oriented on the retina, our brains flip it for us. Sounds like your toddler is just missing out that last bit of admin sometimes..

CountZero

Seems like a handy skill to develop, same with writing upside-down.

jeffl

Kids are awesome and all individuals, some do things that to us adults seem to be random or odd. In reality a lot of the time we’re just projecting our stereotyped views/ideals/world view etc on them. Kids don’t have these hangups or constraints so they’re much more interesting.

She’ll be fine 😀

senorj

My 5yo son does his d’s & b’s backwards quite often.

We’re having him exorcised on Wednesday .

maccruiskeen

We’re having him exorcised on Wednesday .

Make sure you pay in full. Otherwise he may get repossessed

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Not just copying stuff is she?

Like what the kid on the other side of the table is doing, upside down obviously.

I did it from 6 or 7 through to early teens. Anything i saw I’d copy, text, pictures. Even handwriting and being left handed.

Even if it was upside down or sideways.

Got me a good few beatings once the decision was made that it was cheating at secondary school.

Can’t do it anymore.

angeldust
    Free Member

Have you tried turning the paper the other way round?

:-) Brutally ignored

WillH

When my eldest was about four he went through a phase of writing backwards. He had to sign in at kindy every day (a ploy to get them practising writing their own name) and every once in a while he’d start on the right and do perfect mirror writing ing towards the left. He even got the s the right way round, when he wrote normally he always got it the wrong way round…

roper
    Free Member

Is she a fan of Georg Baselitz

As long as she doesn’t start exploring some of Baselitz’s other “themes” you should be fine.

funkmasterp

I wouldn’t worry. My lad is 4 in early Nov and can’t draw anything other than scribble. Nothing. No attempt.

As above. Our eldest was four in February and can’t draw or write and has shown very little interest in doing so. They’re all different and great in their own ways. I wouldn’t worry about it

mindmap3
    Free Member

Our littlw boy is four in September and has no interest in drawing or painting. Last time we got the paints out, he was more interested in painting his toy cars than a picture. He’s much happier building stuff.

gerti
    Free Member

Make sure you keep some of them, they sound cool :)

Our youngest wrote her numbers backwards until she was 6 despite constant correction by us and teacher at school.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Toddler drawing upside down but correctly’ is closed to new replies.