Home Forums Chat Forum The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

• This topic has 7,777 replies, 366 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Bazz.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,281 through 7,320 (of 7,778 total)
  • The Annual Running thread – beginners/ultras/whatever
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

Agree that you’re unlikely to really hit peak performance for your first marathon in that time scale but you should be able to have a good bash at it if you’re sensible and reasonably focussed and consistent on building up your mileage. Don’t try too much too soon. Good luck! If you enjoy it you can do another :-)

nobbingsford

Well according to my FetchEveryone 2022 annual round-up, my first full year of running consists of:

131 active days

704 miles

20,620m of ascent

Raced in 15 events (about half of those were Parkruns)

Race PBs of 21:20, 43:06 and 1:42:31 (5k, 10k, HM respectively).

Best WAVA score of 68.1%

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my running this year (which has absolutely been at the expense of doing very little cycling!).

Really looking forward to 2023, with a few races already booked.  10k seems to be my favoured distance for racing.

I also really want to achieve the goal I didnt quite manage this year, of a sub-20 minute 5k.  I managed 20:20 in a training run – so close!

piemonster
    Free Member

Any time poor runners here able to point me in the the direction of some useful resources for working with limited time available for running?

More than happy to buy snd read (whilst I have the spare time) books.

mogrim

Any time poor runners here able to point me in the the direction of some useful resources for working with limited time available for running?

Try Googling “time crunched runner” for more results – the phrase was made popular back in the day with a fairly successful book for cyclists, and is still used today. But most of the plans will boil down to increasing the intensity to make up for a lack of time, which means interval training.

piemonster
    Free Member

Cheers Mogrim, thats kinda what I thought.

Will go take a Google

sirromj

Anyone come across Bart Kay on Youtube? A professor in cardiovascular and respiratory physiology, exercise physiology, nutrition, research methods, and statistics. He seems very keen to debunk. Here he is debunking ‘the worst running advice ever’, might be of interest to some? I’ve not watched the whole video (45 minutes) or the video he’s debunking, but not sure if he’s coming from an professional athlete perspective, while the video he’s debunking is aimed at more regular folk.

turboferret

My running took a real nose-dive after August, so I’m well down on last year.

227 days active

4015 km run

26,942 m ascent

Hoping to get back into the swing of things soon.

On the topic of running bags, Ultimate Direction do some really nice well featured running bags, but not cheap.  Centurion Running have a few discounted on their store at the moment, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere

thecaptain
    Free Member

LOL at asking others to check out a 45 min video that you’ve not even watched yourself!

Tell us what it says, then I may have a view.

sirromj

Not asking you to watch it. Just sharing something I thought might be of interest. Watch it or don’t.

Very basic jist though, your training should be at or harder than the intensity you wish to compete at. Never run daily. Easy days are detrimental.

Some of his other content includes a four part nutrition 101 series which starts on the subject of what atoms are made of, mass, inertia, particles, and whether we exist or not.

surfer
    Free Member

your training should be at or harder than the intensity you wish to compete at

Thanks. Saved me a few minutes watching that rubbish.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well that’s just a load of complete bollocks then.

Thanks for saving me 45 mins!

The long version: for best performance in sports that are predominantly aerobic, like running more than about 3 mins (don’t quibble about the exact number here, it’s not vital) the vast majority of your training should be steady work at a moderate aerobic pace (below race pace) with a small proportion of higher intensity work. This has been well established for decades and proves itself year after year in the performance of top athletes across a wide range of sports.

Even that was a lot less than 45 mins :-)

surfer
    Free Member

with a small proportion of higher intensity work

Zatopek?

jam-bo

First couple of runs back after three weeks of #notcovid.

It’s like running in treacle.

MrSparkle

Just in case of any interest – I am putting my night fell race on again after a two year Covid break. All funds go the Bolton Mountain Rescue Team and there is a decent p*ss up in the pub after.

https://www.dashers.org.uk/mr-sparkles-dark-un

thecaptain
    Free Member

Zatopek?

Just think how good he might have been if he’d trained properly :-)

mtbqwerty

Bit slow off the mark on the Bart Kay video.

Seen one of his videos before…he might be right, might be wrong, not interested as the man’s a condescending d!ck.

Watched a couple of minutes of this video and I couldn’t go any further.

I suspect that exercising for optimal physiological benefits and running speed/efficiency etc may be somewhat different.

Chew
    Free Member

What do people recommend as a quick to prepare meal for after a run?

Tend to find im ravenous once back and just want to stuff my face with anything in the fridge.
    Looking for healthy, filling options that can be made in 5 mins.

temudgin

I do like a fried egg sarnie after a run. Must be a runny yolk

DanW
    Free Member

Great thread and really interesting read.

I have started running this past year after frustrations with the amount of work travel restricting riding time. It has also been good to get out in the countryside with my wife so all in all a nice change :) A new work colleague also runs a 2:20 marathon and loves a big run in the hills so I am in danger of catching the running bug :)

So the question…

Does anyone have any recommendations for a trip away this time of the year for a few days of smallish runs purely for a change of scenery and a treat? Somewhere with some nice 10-20km runs in easy access, decent enough weather and somewhere you can switch off for a few days would be good.

I was thinking of somehwere like Deia, Mallorca and making use of the GR221 route in various directions but I think the elevation changes will be a bit of a killer over my short distances and probably more of a hike. Gran Canaria maybe???

Ta!

DrP

@chomp
    Brighton will be my first marathon too…

At the moment i’m working back into running.. managing a most weeks to get a half marathon in by running from school drop off, to back home.. Did a 1.44 yesterday which was pretty good after an xmas of booze and sleep!!

Going to try to add 2 more bits in:
    shorter and faster runs..maybe interval..

slower longer runs.

Will see how i get on!

DrP

thecaptain
    Free Member

Toasted bagel, half with peanut butter and half with nutella, is one of my regular options for a substantial snack. Though I don’t have a post-run snack that often, just have the next meal asap if hungry.

Any random sandwich or food item should do really. Nothing wrong with raiding the fridge!

finbar
    Free Member

County XC champs tomorrow anyone? I’m doing Nottinghamshire. It changed venue from Markeaton Park (Derby) to Bulwell Park (Nottingham) on Friday as the former is “waterlogged”. Better get my 15mm spikes out.

lunge

@finbar, bit further south than you, ours is a little later on the year,

But I bloody love XC.
    Mud, nasty hills, questionable timing and course measurement, short shorts, an all out sprint for the line to take that elusive 53rd position and throwing up after you’ve crossed the line.
    I urge anyone on this thread to find a club and do an XC season, proper type 2 fun.

rockhopper70

A little more modest than the majority in here, but I bagged the 5k of my C25K attempt a couple of weeks before Xmas. Then gained around 2.5kg and now back on running and shifting that in earnest.

My current loop is 4.35 miles with 494ft elevation gain. I seem to be knocking a minute off every week, currently at 42:15 best time. There is one steepish hill that I feel I am barely no quicker than walking up (191ft in .34mls, strava says 10.4% gradient) that really spanners me.

Aiming for three times a week and can’t decide if I aim for quicker over the same loop, or the same speed over a longer loop…..Or both!

MrSparkle

Must be a runny yolk

I see what you did there.

lunge

4.35 miles with 494ft is tough going @rockhopper70

I think I’d be aiming to try a different loop, you risk getting very good at a set distance and elevation, mixing things up would be a good thing I reckon.

surfer
    Free Member

Just think how good he might have been if he’d trained properly 🙂

Spose he had to settle for being the greatest athlete of the 20c. If only STW was around in the 40’s….

finbar
    Free Member

But I bloody love XC.
    Mud, nasty hills, questionable timing and course measurement, short shorts, an all out sprint for the line to take that elusive 53rd position and throwing up after you’ve crossed the line.
    I urge anyone on this thread to find a club and do an XC season, proper type 2 fun.

Completely agree. They are hands-down my favourite type of race, I much prefer XC round the corner of some dodgy park (there’s a race in the Met league that goes around Wormwood Scrubs :D) than fell racing or anything really.

The standard is just astounding too. I’ve placed higher at London marathon than I have at the XC nationals…

bikebob

Signed up for an ultra as thought it would be quite cool, 47m / 8K feet ascent. Furthest I’ve run is half marathon 6 years ago.

What’s best running vests (equipment carry,15l storage ) for a tall runner 6,3”.
    What trail running shoes with some cushioning but predominantly for off road. I run in Brooks Beast on tarmac (heavy / flat footed) lots of cushioning and good support but cumbersome. Off road I use Peregrine – great shoes but no padding for hard pack.
    Thanks for any advice.

lunge

@bikebob, packs are weird and seem to depend on body type. As a start have a look at the Harrier packs, they’re very good, well priced and from a UK independent company. All of their stuff is good in my experience. If not, the Salomon packs are well received but not cheap. Are you sure you need 15l of storage? My last ultra was 45 miles and I had a 5l pack, it was plenty of space.

Shoes again are very personal and will depend on the shape of your feet and the terrain you’re running on. Hoka Speedgoat are worth a look, and I like the new Nike Pegasus Trail 4 for less technical trails. Have a look at Innov-8 too, they do a wide selection of shoes for a range of terrains.

turboferret

The standard is just astounding too. I’ve placed higher at London marathon than I have at the XC nationals…

Absolutely, my best at the National XC has been 107th I think, although I was feeling terrible prior to the race.  London marathon – 10th non-elite :)

cat69uk
    Free Member

@bikebob if you like the Peregrine I can highly recommend the Xodus Ultra.

surfer
    Free Member

The depth is incredible in races like the Northern/Southern/National/Inter Counties. Super fast guys at the front then sometimes hundreds coming in within a very short space of each other. I often found it difficult to race as its hard to gauge how well you are running and manage your effort when you have no idea how near (or far…) you are from the sharp end..

mrb123
    Free Member

@bikebob the Salomon Adv Skin 12 works very well for me at 6’4″. Also have the 5 litre one which is great too.

bikebob

Thx for info on backpacks and shoes, really appreciated. I will check them out. Good to hear input on 5 litre pack, I was advised to go 15 but after bit more research and comments on here,5 is probably a better size.
    Thanks all, will keep close to this thread.

mcfly
    Free Member

Anyone doing Rombald’s Stride in early Feb? I recced the first and last thirds on Sat and am still scrubbing the mud off :-D

mogrim

Good to hear input on 5 litre pack, I was advised to go 15 but after bit more research and comments on here,5 is probably a better size.

What’s the required kit list for your race? If it’s a summer race and you only have to carry a jacket 5l is fine. I’ve done other races and there’s no way I could fit it all into a 5l pack…

bikebob

@ mogrim. I must carry jacket, waterproof trousers, spare top, first aid kit, small food and min 1 litre water. Presuming 5 will be ok ??

bikebob

Ooh Rombalds Stride looks good and local. Unfortunately too far for me at this stage but good to know. Your right about the mud.

mogrim

I must carry jacket, waterproof trousers, spare top, first aid kit, small food and min 1 litre water. Presuming 5 will be ok ??

5 sounds a bit small TBH. I’d probably get something around the 12l size – there’s not that much difference weightwise, and you’ll have a bit more flexibility. If you do get a bigger bag you will need to fight the urge to chuck more things in, “just in case”…

Viewing 40 posts - 7,281 through 7,320 (of 7,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.