• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m on a 130mm Reba and it’s alright to be fair. I’ve not gone hard on my usual trails yet but expect it’ll hold up well enough; though I reckon 130/140 travel beefier fork would be ace.

cloggy

What happened ductions is that they’ve now got matching build kits. As to forks I went and bought Z2s for the Dog. On the Scandel build I sourced S/H Rhythms. Though they are both at 130 I think the Rhythms are kinder on my wrists. Currently waiting for an inline seatpost as the Scandel’s seat post angle is a touch slack without one.

duckman

140 fox rhythm 34 on mine and its ace. Got my frame for £128 in September.

ductions
    Free Member

What happened ductions is that they’ve now got matching build kits.

Hmm, you mean they offer it as a complete bike too? They did last year as well. I don’t understand how they can justify the massive price increase over the year for the frame alone. Wouldn’t you rather buy a Cotic frame or something for that kinda money?

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I don’t understand how they can justify the massive price increase over the year for the frame alone.

They don’t have to justify it – if people pay they sell at the price, if they don’t they’ll end up dropping the price again. I think they underpriced it at the start to be honest – maybe a cunning plan or maybe just didn’t expect it’s success – probably driven in no small part by this and other STW threads…

What is really annoying I’m sure is when they drop the price unexpectedly though. Glad I got my frame for £150 🙂

eddie123
    Free Member

After reading lots of conflicting advise re sizing for me at 5ft 11 I went on Guys Kestevens advise as he actually reviewed the bike and as I’m the same height so I went for large and definitely made the right choice it feels so stable on the steep descents which is what my previous bike lacked Boardman MHT 8.9 also large. Had to change two things immediately though the saddle is a torture device and the tyres are only fit for dry landrover tracks not the winter mud and snow we have now. Overall very happy with the bike and would recommend even for £1200 I was lucky enough to get it in the sale for £1000 would be nice if it came with a dropper post as you certainly want to ride steep descents on it so I bought a brand x 150mm and swapped the tyres for Maxxis Minion DHR/DHF

cloggy

ductions they’ve got loads of build kits to sell so why would they want to be left with them? They obviously get bulk deals from Sram, and Woolworths for the wheels…… As for the frame price well I suspect the mark up on ally frames is immense. Years back you could buy a factory special GT Zaskar frame in a different type of ally. They discounted a few at £50. Word was they still made a profit. As for Cotic well one contributor here with both opined he preferred the Scandel. He liked it better in singletrack though the Solaris was superior down steeps.

mozza00
    Free Member

So what size rotors are people fitting and getting away with?

stanstorey
    Free Member

203mm fits on back if you need to 👍

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I think most can get away with a 160mm on the back but power at the front is key.

So, I’d like to know if anyone has squeezed 180 or 203 on the front??

intheborders
    Free Member

Running 180 both ends.

Used a +20mm Shimano post-post adaptor and a few washers on the rear.

off-one
    Free Member

Mine arrived a couple of days ago and I’m really pleased with it.

I’ve stretched the life out of my 26″ bikes with upgrades over the years – I still enjoy my original 26″ OnOne Whippet (Lightweight build on ZTR Crests etc.) and my 2005 Scott Genius is maxxed out with upgrades that are possible on such an old 26″ frameset. It’s getting to the point if I want parts used Ebay is the best/ only source.

I saw the Scandal as a halfway house between the two as I dipped a toe into the water of modern geo and big wheels. In a non-covid world I’d have probably gone and test ridden a bunch of more expensive full-suss CF bikes. Given the price of the On-One it made more sense as an unridden online purchase with the long term potential to be a back-up / winter bike.

I’m a lanky 6’3″ so opted for the XL. It does feel like a big bike (my old XL On-Whippet on 26er’s feels like a BMX :)) however I think it suits what I’ll use it for – more epic ride type stuff (hopefully back to the Peaks once lockdown relaxes) than racing or technical trail centre Singletrack.

First thing to come off were the tyres, replaced with Maxxis (DHF 2.6 + Ardent 2.4 combo), and set up tubeless.

Front mudguard fitment was next.

Next upgrade will be the saddle. (I’m not normally picky with saddles, but this one is not for me..)

Final upgrade will be a dropper. I have a 31.6 on my Scott I tried to swap over, until it wouldn’t fit in the Scandal’s tube designed for 30.9… Doh!. Given a lot of my local rides barely need a dropper I’ll make do with the QR post clamp I’ve added as a stop gap.

My bike came assembled perfectly, the paint was good all over (I’ve heli-taped various bits to keep it that way), the gear indexing spot on and the brakes bled properly.

The bike feels planted, the mud clearance is huge, I am convert to 1×12 (Going from 3×9 to 2×10 was a little bit of an anti-climax back in the day, going 1x and having just one control to think about is great.).

The initial feeling of slow speed “flop” from the 29’er way out front compared to my much steeper head angled 26’s took a while to get used to. I thought it would slow the steering in twisty bits, but that’s not the case. The bike still feel playful. The one small complaint / thing to get used to is _really_ slow speed climbing, where the front wheel does tend to wander a little.

TLDR; The evil bike industry has finally pushed me into the land of 29er’s by cunningly obsoleting old parts. I am happy they did and I’m glad I bought the Scandal as an entry into modern 29er land. It’s a fun bike, with decent parts for a reasonable price.

Anyway 3 days and 80km later:

Muddy Scandal

paulneenan76
    Free Member

I’m happy with mine, deffo need to get a dropper sorted to get my arse lower on my local trails. It feels quite quick but hopefully not as quick as my FS bike 🙂

Mine is 11spd with a 42t cassette so not got that big spinning gear you have @Off-One, so yours may be easier to wander, however, I’d recommend dropping a stem spacer out and/or rolling your bars forward – if your seated position is where you want it saddle-wise.

nickc

Got mine last weekend and did a couple of rides. Using it for local byways and towpath stuff when I can’t be arsed to drive/train out to somewhere more interesting, so for me the factory build is just fine. Ordered a L and I’m 5’10” with long ish legs, it’s fine maybe a touch too big, I think an M probs would’ve been fine as well. Not massively bothered either way.

came well built out of its box and I’m happy, nothing needs immediate replacing, v impressed with the fork. Might see if I can get the Panaracers to go up tubeless for a laff.

off-one
    Free Member

@Paulneenan76 Thanks for the suggestions. I already have the bars rolled forward a fair amount from “stock” (i.e. where the On One Logo shows through the stem). I’ll give swapping the spacers round a try. The bars are already significantly higher (relative to saddle) than my other bikes, so I’ve definitely got some room to experiment.

damascus
    Free Member

Don’t forget to check the spokes are tight. See earlier comments

cloggy

I have 35mm of shims a cheap 40mm stem and a On One 50mm carbon Riser bar. The bars are level with the jammed forward seat, the 400mm post on it’s max mark. I’m 5′ 8″ on a good day on a medium. It feels as if the head angle is a touch slacker than the Dog, and I’d say the Dog’s longer chainstays makes that a better technical climber. That definitely lifts less. I’m running Rhythm/Z2 which are a bit shorter than the Gold so perhaps that’s why I have’t yet noticed any wheel flop. I’ve put the Scandel away till summer and I’ll just use the Dog in the slop.

coconut
    Free Member

Scandal owners, a question please: How noisey is the rear freehub ? I’m currently on a Giant Anthem that’s completely silent when free wheeling (ahh bliss 🙂 ), I really dislike noisey ticking freehubs.

andydunne12
    Free Member

It makes noise for sure and louder the better for me.
    Not sure how loud it is by comparison to others but is certainly not silent

nickc

I can’t remember it being massively intrusive, but honestly, it’s a free hub. Who really cares whether it clicks or not, is that really going to be the criteria you choose a bike on?

coconut
    Free Member

I can’t remember it being massively intrusive, but honestly, it’s a free hub. Who really cares whether it clicks or not, is that really going to be the criteria you choose a bike on?

Of course not, I always choose based on the colour of the saddle.

nickc

phew, obviously that’s a much more sensible criteria.

andydunne12
    Free Member

Looking at brand x dropper for my scandal. Looking at 150 mm drop however on crc they mention a length of 459 mm for this:DROPPER

Will it fit in the seat post?

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve a 200mm in mine, but I’ve long legs.

Measure it up.

andydunne12
    Free Member

A 200 mm brand X dropper?

intheborders
    Free Member

Yes.

Large frame.

andyrmanc
    Free Member

Just looking into buying a Scandal. I too am looking for a dropper post. I fancied the Brand X XL with 170mm travel as this gives internal cable routing. Do you think this will fit? The insertion length is 276mm including the actuator according to the CRC website.

Cheers

Andy

ElVino

Hi Andy
    I have the 150mm Brand X on my large, I’m 179cm. I wouldn’t get away with any longer. If my inside leg measurement was another 2 cm I’d be ok with 170mm I guess.

andyrmanc
    Free Member

Hi Elvino

I opted for the 150mm Brand X as well.All on order, roll on a couple of weeks hopefully

Cheers

Andy

mtbsforresttrails
    Free Member

If anyone is looking for a frame I have a one in Size: Large with headset and axel in black.

off-one
    Free Member

@AndyRManc

I’ve put a 150mm internally routed Brand-X dropper in mine and it’s all good. The post is nearly fully inserted on my XL. (I have a 36″ inseam.)

One thing I’d _HIGHLY_ recommend is being _REALLY_ careful with the tiny screw that holds the upper plastic cable entry guide into the frame. Getting it out of the downtube should it drop in is not easy (Don’t ask how I know!) It’s also a little awkward to tighten back up again when the dropper cable is in place – needing a tiny Allen key that will be pushed away from proper square-on engagement with the bolt head by the dropper cable = easy way to round off that bolt.

I’m really happy with mine, feels properly sorted now the dropper is on, and I’m sure you will be pleased with it!

Snow Scandal

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

Max fork length?

I can see that the frame can cope with a 130 travel fork but I can’t see on the on one website what is the maximum length of fork that the frame can take. Does on one state a max length of fork anywhere?

intheborders
    Free Member

Mine came with the RS35 set at 140mm.

mtbcowboy
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s good so I can run 130 or 140. Does anyone use a 150 fork?

jonba
    Free Member

People were asking about axles.

I ordered a ztto one off ebay. Took a while to get here, but less than advertised. It fits fine – a little long at 177mm so there are some threads sticking out. But it looks comparable to the brand x one, is about a tenner and in stock.

It may snap and kill me on the next ride. Ztto have a half decent rep though.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Will be out for first ride on mine today, shall report back latter……………….tbc……….

brant
    Free Member

Cheers, that’s good so I can run 130 or 140. Does anyone use a 150 fork?

Why would you want to run a 150? Just daft.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Ok first ride out today, nice cold frosty day, ground fairly hard, bit of snow higher up.

Bike rides nicely, very easy to lift the front wheel but didnt seem wandery on the climbs.

Running a 120mm fox 34, also have a 135mm Pike on another bike so may swap them to try the slightly longer pike on it.
    Felt balanced at 120mm, running a 50mm stem and it feels quite short (not too short) im 5`7 on a medium.
    Dont have dropper on it at the moment didnt really need it for the ride I did, local loop from the door with a bit of whinlatter, intended to do more but fork seemed to lose air so cut short and spun home.

https://postimg.cc/jWz33ZgW%5D[/url]

screenshot software for windows

Tom-B
    Free Member

Where’s that NCB? Looks stunning/vaguely familiar!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Snowy pic is going up the south side at Whinlatter, looking towards Grizdale Pike

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.