• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • damascus
    Free Member

Not sure where water is getting in

I’ve used some black sugru on my black frame to seal it as best I can.

@mcbyker
    please can you upload a photo of the hole you drilled? Thanks

intheborders
    Free Member

The photo would be appreciated by me too.

And water can get in anywhere tbh – cables, seat post and anywhere there’s a bolt hole etc.

mcbyker
    Free Member

Schucks guys, just for you.
    A 2.5mm hole in a bit of aluminium 😉

A hole!

I was aiming to have it roughly at 6 o’clock when the bike is on its wheels. The drill may have wandered a bit.

It occurs to me now that I should have put the hole in between the chainstays because I store the bike hanging by the front wheel…(there is no hole in the BB to connect with the chainstays internally!)

Sugru sounds good for cable port filling.

intheborders
    Free Member

Good thought about hanging the bike, me too.

Now I’m wondering where to put it…

pierhead
    Free Member

Looking at brakes on ebay. Would 1400mm hose be long enough for rear on a xl frame?

desfordian
    Free Member

I’ve put over 800 miles on my Scandal in the last 6 months. Before I rode it I put on a BrandX dropper and 2.6 tyres. Since then I’ve just cleaned an oiled it and it’s been perfect in all weathers. I’m noticing the chain is starting to slip when I’m in the 11 tooth cog so I might need to adjust the rear mech or possibly get a new chain/cassette. I might swap the back wheel for a spare one I have so I can fit an XD cassette. If PlanetX get close enough to the £900 I paid again then I’d be tempted to get another one.

stanstorey

A friend has recently bought a scandal and I’ve said I’ll help her set it up tubeless…

Does anyone know if the current Alex rims they ship with are taped?
    If not,does anyone know the internal width for getting some tape ordered in please?

I know my fulcrums on the early batch of bikes weren’t taped…and kind of expecting these not to be as well!

jonba
    Free Member

Mine weren’t taped.

damascus
    Free Member
    brant
    Free Member

haha. that’s a great name.

restlessshawn
    Free Member

Vandal looks tempting, wonder what the rear tyre clearance is with a srtaight seat tube?

nickc

Does anyone know if the current Alex rims they ship with are taped?

Mine weren’t, used peaty’s 30mm tape

stanstorey

Thanks for the tape information, I should have updated this thread, we’ve just converted it to tubeless with vesa 30mm tape, worked a treat.

And the vandal…I like it, but not sure it warrants upgrading from my scandal!

Also noticed that the GX builds all ship with an SX cassette, very different piece of kit to the GX cassette that should ship with the new lunar GX groupset. Huge saving cost wise to planet x I imagine.
    I guess that’s one way to keep the prices a bit lower and most buyers won’t notice it?

damascus
    Free Member

I wonder what the difference is in frame weight?

The vandal states

Frame Weight, Approx, (med) (g) TBD kg

With 2.6 inch tyres on my scandal I’m not sure id notice much from the frame but raw ti frames do look amazing!

And tbf to planet x and on one the paint has done really well on mine.

stanstorey

Has anyone set there scandal up single speed?
    Wondering what tensioner setup would work best with the supplied mech hanger arrangement..single speed all a bit new to me!
    Probably be using a gusset XD 1-ER cog/spacer setup…

cokie

Yes! When I first got mine I set it up SS with a DMR chain tensioner. I had a load of cogs, but coudln’t find a magic gear so used the tensioner. Easy to setup and only takes a couple minutes. I was running 32×16. I did about 500 miles like that before I got bored.. SS isn’t for me on such a capbable bike. It ws meant to be a pub/hack/winter bike but turns out it’s fantastic. Sold the Cotic Solaris as this was better. Now running SLX groupset, brakes & Maxxis 2.6″ minions. Fantastic bit of kit.

stanstorey

Thanks for the reply – much appreciated.
    Don’t worry – my main scandal will stay sprung and geared…just toying with the idea of an ebay frame and build it SS and rigid with some parts I have.
    I’d like a sliding dropout boost frame like a salsa timberjack or Pipedream Sirius S5 to keep it looking neat, but my budget isn’t quite that high!

Mat

cokie – can you tell me about your tool/tube setup on the seat tube? It looks nice and neat and maybe includes a dry bag?

cokie

cokie – can you tell me about your tool/tube setup on the seat tube? It looks nice and neat and maybe includes a dry bag?

Sure- I never carry bags so everything has to be on the bike. I don’t notice either setup being there. Mounted nice and low, out the way of mud and doesn’t rub on anything.

Light setup, as pictured above, is the Wolf Tooth B-Rad strap. It’s fantastic bit of kit. I’ve had it for years and uses bottle cage mounts. The scandal only has one set of cage mounts so I used 3 thick zipties and some black tape. It was solid and looked pretty neat.

My full setup is actually a Alp Kit top tube medium feed bag. This just uses velcro straps with a bit of tape to protect the frame. It has plenty of food, spares, tools & basic first aid. Again, mounts up solid and out of the way with no frame damage. It’s waterproof too.

cloggy

Cokie, I see you too have your saddle rammed forward. Which Solaris did you have?

cokie

Cokie, I see you too have your saddle rammed forward. Which Solaris did you have?

The saddle rails are level- it’s not rammed forward. Might be the angle it’s been taken at.
    I had a Solaris max longshot. The Scandal is a much better bike.

Clink

The Scandal is a much better bike.

Interesting. What do you think the Scandal is better (not disagreeing, just interested)?

damascus
    Free Member

Back in stock and discounted.

Frame only £799 or full build £999 🤣

SRAM sx and rockshox 35s. That’s pretty good value.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCSX/on-one-scandal-sram-sx-mountain-bike?utm_source=The+Planet+X+and+On-One+Mailing+List&utm_campaign=00b4695118-230621+-+Scandal+SX+for+%C2%A3999.99&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_561486488b-00b4695118-271210457&mc_cid=00b4695118&mc_eid=ade4b0dbd1

Aluminium gx scandal £1399 and ti scandal gx £1699. Just £300 more!

easily
    Free Member

Those prices seem so odd
    799 for just a frame, then an extra 200 for a full build?

And is an sx to gx upgrade worth an extra £400?

snotrag

They dont WANT you to buy a frame for £799. They want you to buy a full bike.

They have enough build kits to sell full bikes. When they were £150, they had containers full of frames and no parts…

ElVino

Anyone ordered a Vandal ?

easily
    Free Member

Anyone ordered a Vandal ?

No, but I’ve considered it. I’d like a review first.

I’m pondering a Vandal, GX Whippet or GX Scandal.

mtbqwerty

Hi all

I have a quick question…during the initial phase of the Scandal release, half the forum bought Rockshox Rebas from Alltricks.

Did the forks come with spare volume reducers*? I’ve suddenly figured out how to ride the Scandal and in need of some progression in the fork travel.

*just being lazy and asking on here before trying to find them

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wondering what tensioner setup would work best with the supplied mech hanger arrangement..single speed all a bit new to me!
    Probably be using a gusset XD 1-ER cog/spacer setup…

I’ve done just this with a surly singulator.

My only slight concern is the XD 1-ER puts the sprocket on the threads like an old fashioned hub. Whereas SRAM put the cassette on the splined section and the threads are only intended for the lockring. It’s not a fixed/singlespeed thread either, it’s a metric one.

I felt it give a couple of times on the first hill which was disconcerting as it tightened up, but it’s not stripped.

For fulltime singlespeed it’s probably very good as you can change ratios using the disk mount rather than having to remove the XR 1ER. Those sprockets are cheap from velosolo too.

snotrag

@mtbqwerty don’t think so as I ended up buying a couple.

Timely thread bump, as I rode mine this week for the first time in months, enjoyed it and ended up doing a good 4 hour ride. Kept thinking about selling at times but for what little it cost me I reckon I’d be daft to. Will come into its own more in the winter I hope.

mtbqwerty

@snotrag bother! Cheers though

I know what you’re saying, I often look at fancier HT frames to upgrade to, ride it then wonder why

Winter fun is what keeps me going when it gets chilly…go out, get muddy as hell, quick rinse and repeat.

desfordian
    Free Member

I just got a 20% off code (BTRT20) by email valid until Sunday 3/10/21. The Vandal is included and is already on promotion at £1499 with free delivery, so I decided to order one. Total paid £1199. I paid £925 for my Scandal (1,600 miles on it so far) last year so it seemed like an eqivalent deal. As last time though there still another £200+ required to sort out tyres, pedals, and a dropper.

miky2341

I got the email too late – the large has now sold out – gutted! at 180cm with a 33inch inside leg am I too big for a medium??

desfordian
    Free Member

I received my XL Vandal and have added a some decent tyres, pedals and a 200mm dropper. I took it for a 35 mile XC ride yesterday and really enjoyed it. I think it is a little lighter than my XL Scandal, but I’ll weigh them to check when I next spot the luggage scales. I really like it. Seems to have a bit more spring than the Scandal, but that could be new vs old forks and different 2.6 tyres. I like the fact that the Vandal is longer as I have quite long arms. I also like the shorter, lower seat tube that allows me to run a 200mm dropper rammed all the way in. The only downside to the extra length is that I didn’t find it quite as good when climbing a steep section. Overall I think it was worth the £300 premium I over the Scandal. I’m keeping both anyway as I like them better than all my other bikes past and present.

damascus
    Free Member

Scandal currently £999 but with 10% off. Buy yourself an early Christmas present

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCSX/on-one-scandal-sram-sx-mountain-bike</span&gt;

Code EM10OFF

cloggy

I have a medium Scandal and medium Big Dog
    The most noticable difference offroad is that the Dog doesn’t try to lift on very steep uphills. Not sure if it’s the extra chainstay length or steeper ST, Both I suppose

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting, I wonder if that was deliberate or just a result of what could be formed from each material to hit the price points (I’m assuming forming the big yoke on the scandal is significantly cheaper than trying to replicate it in steel).

Seat angle is a red herring as the scandal has a big kink in it and with the reach and HA the same people will be able to set their seat similarly.

thecrustyone
    Free Member

For those wanting to put a bigger disc on the back, I found the uberbike pm 160 to Shimano 203 works without needing to modify it.

Uberbike Post to Post PM6/160mm Direct Mount to 203mm Disc Brake Adapter

intheborders
    Free Member

Thanks, and I just came to the thread to search brake adaptors as I was trying a 180 on mine and couldn’t get any of the various ones I’ve got to line up without lots of faff.

Just ordered the 160-180 version, I think my others are 180-203…

lovewookie

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOOSCSX/on-one-scandal-sram-sx-mountain-bike

£799 seems like a bit of a deal at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.