• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • damascus
    Free Member

Brant has commented on a couple of recent threads about the new Scandal coming shortly and it being priced around £150 to £200.

I’m holding out for a new Scandal to replace my cube frame. I am one of the many people who regretted selling a Scandal and wants a new one, preferably XL and in raw.

So, I thought I’d start a new thread so Brant can update us. If there isn’t an available date in the near future can anyone recommend anything else to consider? Frame only option. Thanks

To keep us going, post pictures of scandals here.

brant
    Free Member

Yes there will be a frame only.
    Complete bike too with SX group and 35 Fork.

submarined
    Free Member

Interesting. What sort of proportions are we talking here? Aggro, slack and long, or all day and a bit more casual?

dc1988

When are all these new models due? I’m in the market for a 29er but don’t know if I should wait…

benj
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat so will be following this discussion with interest

cokie

Is On-One finally making a comeback? Seems lots fo excititng, relevant and well priced stuff in the works. I blame Brant!

ratherbeintobago

Usually you have to post his name thee times before he appears…

jimdubleyou

I’m holding out for the Big Dog. When is that coming Brant?

brant
    Free Member

Big Dog a couple of months off.

akira

I’m waiting for Brants signature range, surely he’s earned one by now. Then I can spend happy hours riding Brant hard in the woods.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The steel version piqued my interest, but frankly I’m too tighfisted to pay a premium for steel so now I want that aluminium one!

Interesting. What sort of proportions are we talking here? Aggro, slack and long, or all day and a bit more casual?

There was a geometry somewhere in the old thread or the press release? It was “aggro, slack and long” for an XC bike, like a more uptodate parkwood (which was a bit left behind geometry wise before it even arrived it already looked very short).

brant
    Free Member

65/75 static ht/st

st/reach/ht

500/480/135
    460/460/120
    420/440/100
    380/415/100

bb drop 58mm
    cs 435

tyres to 2.6ish depending on rims and stuff.

threaded BB

effective seat angle measured at 800mm from BB centre.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

When’s the aluminium one due?

damascus
    Free Member

Come on brant, free advertising! Tell us when it’s due! Even if it’s on pre order.

Is it boost and bolt through axle and designed around a 120 fork?

Any more pictures with a 2.6 29er tyre on?

Thanks

greyspoke
    Free Member

effective seat angle measured at 800mm from BB centre.

That is rather a long way up isn’t it? Way higher than my saddle rails, and I am on the medium/large boundary size-wize.

brant
    Free Member

Tell us when it’s due! Even if it’s on pre order.

Is it boost and bolt through axle and designed around a 120 fork?

Any more pictures with a 2.6 29er tyre on?

It’s bolt through boost – it’s 2019 man.

I put a 2.4 on it and there was tons of room, and the drawing is great.

System says complete on the 20th July. But then they’ve got to flow through production right, and then get here. So we might air some in, but that’s going to be I reckon early August at best.

brant
    Free Member

That is rather a long way up isn’t it? Way higher than my saddle rails, and I am on the medium/large boundary size-wize.

It’s where my saddle is.
    So that’s why it’s measured there.
    HTH

big_scot_nanny

LOL!

vinnyeh

Any ideas on price Brant- still going to come in under £200?

brant
    Free Member

Any ideas on price Brant- still going to come in under £200?

That’s plan.

wishiwascalledsteve

Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Do you have a date for the ti 29er frame in the larger sizes?
    Ta

nuke

Interesting, not sure yet if a successor to my Scandal vs2..liking the modern updates (boost etc) with the threaded bb but pretty slack for xc, not that im saying the new version is xc but thats what id want it for.

Is the 65° ht angle based on a 120 static fork?

hardtailonly

^^^ this.

Think @brant said angles & stuff for the planned Tinbred were similar to those for the Scandal as stated above.

Tempted by both, but more by the Tinbred … Just need to know when it’s due so I can sell stuff and start saving.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Interesting, not sure yet if a successor to my Scandal vs2..liking the modern updates (boost etc) with the threaded bb but pretty slack for xc, not that im saying the new version is xc but thats what id want it for.

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. Give it another couple of model cycles and all XC bikes will look like that.

Unno Aora.
    790g frame (including hardware) , 67deg HA

kerley
    Free Member

Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it. Give it another couple of model cycles and all XC bikes will look like that.

Agree. I was always a steep angled XC bike rider and have just bought another MTB after 5 years of not having one and picked up a 66 degree bike (which is also very heavy) and am faster on it than I was 5 years ago on lighter XC bike on anything other than fire roads.

epicyclo

kerley

I was always a steep angled XC bike rider and have just bought another MTB after 5 years of not having one and picked up a 66 degree bike (which is also very heavy) and am faster on it than I was 5 years ago on lighter XC bike on anything other than fire roads.

How about on steep climbs?

From my perspective, mtbs are being more oriented toward downhills these days.

One advantage of slack is it places the front wheel further out in front, a good thing for going downhill, but adds heaps more flop, a bad thing for climbing. The other advantage of slack is to hide the shortcomings of telescopic forks such as binding and stuttering, and angles around the mid 60ºs seem to work best for that.

Or are you faster because of the improvements in tyres?

brant
    Free Member

They don’t fit a 3spd hub either.

😉

Srsly though – climbs is mostly about seat angle and chain stay length, not head angle.

kerley
    Free Member

It is fine on steep climbs. Take your point about flop and on the rare occasions I am climbing at 4mph in 30/42 gear then yes the front feels a bit more wandery/floppy but not in an uncontrollable way.

Or are you faster because of the improvements in tyres?

I am using the same tyres (2.4 X Kings). I am faster because the bike handles better on rough singletrack so I can go faster more easily. On fire roads it won’t make any difference (up, flat or downhill) as geometry is irrelevant on those parts. Overall the average speed is up and on segments that I care about (more technical) it is faster.

I would not go back to a steep angled bike for off road riding.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Mostly but not completely, the floppiness of steering you get with a slack head angle is not helpful on steep techy climbs. If it was all about the climbing I would prefer steeper (or probably to be precise, less trail and flop).

greyspoke
    Free Member

My post crossed with your’s @kerley, we appear to be saying the same thing.

epicyclo

brant

They don’t fit a 3spd hub either.

Next you’ll be telling us there’s no mount for the acetylene lights reservoir. 🙂

…climbs is mostly about seat angle and chain stay length…

Good point about the C/S. I used to like a really short C/S because it felt easier to zigzag up steep stuff, but that’s the sort of situation where too much flop becomes a liability because it’s easier to lift the front end inadvertently. When climbing anything steep, I’m not likely to be in the saddle, but that’s a SS perspective.

However whatever the geometry, one angle is dependent on another and can’t be taken in isolation, and it’s a dynamic system so riders adjust to what they’re riding.

BTW I’m not criticising your design. Having bought a few of your designs, I have a reasonable amount of faith that they will ride well for their intended use. My question of Kerley was because I’m curious if there is an effect, and he sounds like the sort of person who will have put a stopwatch on it. 🙂

wors

Likey!

kerley
    Free Member

My question of Kerley was because I’m curious if there is an effect, and he sounds like the sort of person who will have put a stopwatch on it.

I have recorded all my rides for a long times so do have the data yes. As I said the flop is definitely noticeable but does not affect speed. For me it is an easy trade off as bike is better to ride everywhere else.

I will be on the list for a Scandal as the frame I have is a touch too short and and may as well go another degree slacker.

hardtailonly

^^^ this.

Think @brant said angles & stuff for the planned Tinbred were similar to those for the Scandal as stated above.

Tempted by both, but more by the Tinbred … Just need to know when it’s due so I can sell stuff and start saving

Still waiting … 🤔 (Drums fingers …)

koszaty
    Free Member

I just wanted to say, I am one of those people, who are sorry for selling Scandal V2 in brushed aluminium (factory pre-scratched, to prevent any further scratches) 🙂 Waiting impatiently for new one.

Northwind

epicyclo

Subscriber

This is going way back but when I got my Ragley Ti, that was a bike that confused a lot of people and pretty much everyone thought such a slack hardtail would climb poorly. And it’s still the best technical climber I’ve ever ridden. Perfectly fine at gentle climbing, because that’s basically easy but the steeper it got the better it got, it basically taught me a lot about how little I really know about bike handling.

And that was in about 2010? Something like that. I reckon Brant’s learned some more tricks since then.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

My Bird Zero 29 is very good going up too, just as good as my Ti456.

superstu
    Free Member

This is sounding great. Waiting with interest.

whatgoesup

I still have my Scandal (V1 I think) still built up and being ridden – I’m watching this with interest – does the new Scandal out Scandal the old Scandal ?

damascus
    Free Member

Hi brant, what size seatpost diameter.? Just ordered a new dropper and wondering if I should hang onto my old one for my Scandal build. I’ll be OK as long as its not 27.2 like my old Scandal. Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.