• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 32 posts - 1,201 through 1,232 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • kisherceg
    Free Member

That front brake adapter looks funny, but no way it is in correct position or the right one.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

Hi All

So I’m looking at buying an on one scandal. Looking at the sizes I’m in between a small and medium. I’m 5ft 6 with a 28/29 inside leg. Any ideas on frame sizing I’ve spoke to Planet X who make them and they have told me either will be fine but say a small would be a safer bet but I’m really not sure. Any help

Thanks

damascus
    Free Member

I’m sure brant designed it as s/m/l and then was asked to add a xl. The xl is very big!

I guess it depends what your riding it for?

Xc long rides might be better with a medium.

More testing terrain a small so easier to move around.

At 5ft6 I would have thought your on a small.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I’m 5’9″ and ride a Medium; I don’t think I could go larger, so maybe small at 5’6″?

P.S. Anyone who needs new 12 spd cassette to replace the SX one, Wiggle doing BX 11-50 cassette for £35….

covestiff2016
    Free Member

So speaking to the guys at Planet X technical they recommend a small which is a 15” frame my only concern is I don’t want to feel cramped on it but I guess I’ll never know unless I get one and try it.

damascus
    Free Member

15 inch is the length of the seattube. It’s short so you have a long seat post drop.

The scandals are very long compared to older frames.

What are you currently riding? How do the measurements match up?

nickc

I guess it depends what your riding it for?

Totally this. I’m 5’10” and bought the L. I’m doing longish XC riding on it, the M would definitely have been better for threading through the trees I reckon.

drewd

I’m 5’5″ and ride a small Big Dog which is very similar to the Scandal. I’ve not tried a medium but I’ve been happy with the small.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

currently riding a cove stiffee that ive never been fully happy with. its a medium (17.5) and ive always felt really stretched on it. I guess with them been quite long i shouldn’t have much worry about it feeling cramped then even if i was to choose the small.

intheborders
    Free Member

They’ve a really short seat tube, so choose based on reach.

FWIW I’m on a Large running a 200mm seat-post which is at least 50mm out of the seat-tube.

covestiff2016
    Free Member

What’s a really short seat tube ? The cove or the scandal ? If I wanted less reach am I right in thinking the small?

damascus
    Free Member

@covestiff2016 you can’t change bikes now or your username won’t work! 🤣

They’ve a really short seat tube (scandal), so choose based on reach.

Work out what your reach is now and if it feels too long than make sure you get a scandal with less reach. I suspect a small will be fine

covestiff2016
    Free Member

Yeah the seat post insertion on the medium is 380mm and the small is 340mm with
    Both having a minimum insertion on 80mm

cokie

I’ve got an medium orange Scandal with a Reba RL 130mm boost plus headset going cheap if that’s of any interest?

montgomery
    Free Member

There was some discussion about the XL Scandals (and whether there was even a need for them) when they first came out. After a prolonged gestation I’m now building up the XL Scandal I bought three years ago, and thought some side-by-side pics might be of interest, especially to anyone thinking of running a Scandal with rigid forks.

Compared to the XL 26er I’ve been riding for the last three years. More on the blog, although that’ll move down the page over time.

matt_outandabout

+1 Montgomery on why larger frames have a fixed headtube size – I think it’s pure cost saving. Even at 6’1″ and typical large frame size, why are my bars expected to be at the same height as someone who is a foot shorter?

damascus
    Free Member

@montgomery

What rigid forks did you go with for your scandal build?

I’m currently using some carbon genesis tarn forks but I’m thinking of buying some trek 1120 forks with the 3 bolts on the side for mounting things to 😁

montgomery
    Free Member

The Ridefarr forks that were going for a good price two years. No longer available in the UK, I think.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea I saw that, almost tempted to get a 2nd just as a singlespeed at that price!

snotrag

Theres been some dubious ‘specs’ and pricing of these lately but the latest newsletter just dropped and its a cracker –

Scandal, GX AXS, a Pike, and a Dropper, for £1500. Pre-order only but that is a bloody good bike for the cash.

snap em up if you’ve been hovering over the ‘buy’ button for a while.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does look good, back to a propper GX cassette (and XD freehub) too.

eduardorocha

And upgrade to Pike Ultimate for 200£ and tubeless tires for 50£.
    Pre-ordered 🤪

itlab
    Free Member

looks like they have added a new gusset/reinforcement to the seat-tube BB area with this batch. Were there problems with the old frames at the BB?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

looks like they have added a new gusset/reinforcement to the seat-tube BB area with this batch. Were there problems with the old frames at the BB?

I’ve not seen anything mentioned on forums.

Looks like they’ve lost the curved seatube so it might just be a way of bracing the now straight tube?

Odd decision as dropper post compatibility was limited to ~150mm posts (and only if your legs were relatively long enough), there’s no way anyone on the correct sized frame was running monster 170-200mm dropper posts and needed the straight tube.

Old:

New:

itlab
    Free Member

You’re probably right. id missed that the seat tube had changed. If it’s the same seat tube angle as the specs say it probably needs it as its no longer going to have as much contact with the BB and down tube.

damascus
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve lost the curved seatube so it might just be a way of bracing the now straight tube?

Why have they done this? Not heard about any cracks. Either they know something we don’t or its cheaper to build it like that. Wonder how much weight it adds?

TomZesty
    Free Member

Looks to me like they’ve stepened the seat angle? Even if specs don’t say it?

nuke

3 finger chainstay bridge looks like it’s gone too but hard to see the new design

plus-one

I prefer the curved seat tube version !

snotrag

Looks to me like they’ve stepened the seat angle? Even if specs don’t say it?

Doesn’t quite work like that. When a frame has a curved or kinked seat tube, the ‘seat tube angle’ you see in the geo charts is a theoretical angle based upon a specific saddle height.

Draw a straight line on the Orange frame from the bb centre to the saddle centre. That’s the angle in the geo chart. Not the angle of the actual not of Orange tuning you can see with the seat post inserted into it.

Thus, on the Orange frame if your shorter than average, you get a steeper seat angle relative to the geo chart. Vice versa if you have giant long gangly legs.

On the new frame with a straight seat tube, the angle of the “actual” tube matches the “theoretical” seat tube angle, thus your relative height is immaterial.

brant
    Free Member

Original geometry is on page 1 of this thread.

brant
    Free Member
    65/75 static ht/st

st/reach/ht

500/480/135
    460/460/120
    420/440/100
    380/415/100

bb drop 58mm
    cs 435

tyres to 2.6ish depending on rims and stuff.

threaded BB

effective seat angle measured at 800mm from BB centre.

Posted 3 years ago

Viewing 32 posts - 1,201 through 1,232 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.