• This topic has 1,231 replies, 200 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by brant.
Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,232 total)
  • The new Aluminium Scandal 29er from on one / planet x
  • snotrag

@thisisnotaspoon

I havent looked, but have you looked at Shimano Hubs? The new Deore can be had boost, microspline etc and even have cartridge bearings. Can’t be that expensive…?

D0NK

Not sure why there’s a chainstay protector on that singlespeed one though?

My SS has one, doesnt take much chain wear/stretch and it’ll bounce against the stay and its something I do with all my bikes at build time. Was considering trying mine SS, then I remembered the cables run through the bloody frame, grrr.

The dropper post hose routing under the BB shell and into the rear of the seat-tube……why don’t other companies do this?

Concern about rockstrikes on the BB spannering your dropper hose? it’s something I worried about when I saw it, maybe unfounded? dunno.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I havent looked, but have you looked at Shimano Hubs? The new Deore can be had boost, microspline etc and even have cartridge bearings. Can’t be that expensive…?

The XT rear is £90, which whilst not bad, isn’t cheap anymore. And the new cartridge bearing MT401 seems to be vaporware at the moment. I was kinda hoping someone would have one for review and I could see what the freehub mechanism was like first.

I don’t mind paying Hope / DT350 money when they’re on a bit of a sale as they’ll last forever. And I don’t mind cheap hubs that can be replaced for not much more than the bearings cost, it’s the the inbetween stuff I can’t justify.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Concern about rockstrikes on the BB spannering your dropper hose?

I had a Pitch with brake hose routed under there and it never caused a problem despite a couple of dinks in the frame befor ei got round to making a protector.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It weighs a reasonable 30Lbs with the big tyres

Are those tyres pretty heavy? I have 2.8 Nobby Nics on mine, with a build that looks similar to yours and mine weighs 28.4 pounds.

The pics make it look a ridiculously slack frame, especially in orange for some reason.

plus-one

Mine has rigid fork(and currently 2.1) tyres which are getting changed to something fatter which will up the weight. 23.5lbs

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines (almost) original stock GX build but with GOMA tyres, Brand-x dropper and a carbon SLR saddle (I love my parts bin, it reminds me of when I actually had spare cash).

Think it was a gnats chuff under 29lb on my bathroom scales.

Haven’t decided if it feels that heavy or not. I’ve been riding the gravel bike to much recently so the upright position combined with heavy-ish tyres probably makes it feel heavier than it is!

ricardowight
    Free Member

Yeah, hamishthecat its a bit of a Tonka Toy build. The Maxxis Minion 2.8s are approx 1020g (2.25lbs) each, so pretty hefty.
    The whole wheel set is hefty though – they are off my ebike.
    I’ve got some 29″ Goma 2.4s to put on the Scandal when the new rear wheel arrives.

In Nov 18, I bough a Focus Jam2 emtb.
    I’d been riding mountain bikes for 30 years and wasn’t really thinking of an emtb until I tried one out whilst on holiday in the Taygetos Mountains in Greece.
    Anyway that was a revelation and I had to have one.
    BUT, I didn’t want to stop riding normal bikes, but when I bought the Focus I realised that so much had changed in bike design since my last new bike (Santa Cruz Chameleon 2012).
    I’ve got a few regular bikes but all are 26ers with QR forks – old school, and the type of riding that the Focus now allowed me to do just didn’t feel the same on the old style bikes.
    Both my Chameleon and SC Heckler now felt too short and steep, with flexy forks!!
    I’d never had 27.5 wheels, bolt through axles, dropper post, tubeless tyres, modern slack geometry etc., etc.
    To get all of that in one go was pretty intoxicating.
    Plus all the extra fun the power assistance gives you.

But as I’ve said I’m still keen on riding regular bikes, so my aim in building this Scandal up is really to create a bike that has similar geo, fit etc., to my Focus and offers similar poise and a confidence building ride – just without the Shimano motor!
    The rides that I’ve done so far totally confirm this.
    Drop the post and point in down a steep rough chute and it’s a blast, AND it climbs up stuff much, much better than I was expecting – Love it.
    I think I’ll be spending a fair bit of time of this one, and it’s going to be a pretty fantastic winter bike too.

dogthomson

Hi all, some advice please.

Working through my build at a (seemingly) glacial pace and tried fitting the drivetrain tonight.

Here’s the clearance between the crank and chainstay…

null

Seems a bit tight, no?

dogthomson

*Slippers model’s own.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Think thats normal.

ricardowight
    Free Member

It’s pretty much the same on mine

damascus
    Free Member

@dogthomson do you have a spacer on the bb?

dogthomson

@damascus Two, actually!

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Yep, mine’s tighter than that – only one spacer.

core

Well here’s mine at long last:

Large frame
    X Fusion 32 120mm forks
    WTB wheels
    WTB Trail Boss 2.4 front tyre (tubeless)
    Goodyear Peak 2.25 rear tyre (tubeless)
    New Deore 10spd cassette (11-46), mech and shifter
    Old SLX 2x cranks with 32T Superstar NW ring
    Thomson 410mm seatpost
    Thomson 70mm stem
    Renthal fatbar lite 740mm
    WTB grips plus togs
    Fabric Scoop saddle
    Tektro brakes
    Shimano SPD pedals

28lb with pedals by my digital luggage scales. Quite happy with that, the deore kit is heavy, as is the front tyre I think. Steerer will get trimmed at some point, brakes will get an upgrade when they misbehave, and could go lighter on the bars.

Haven’t had a proper ride yet, but it feels efficient going from my test ride to the shops. A little bit surprised that it’s only 3lb lighter than my Cotic Flare with 130mm fox 34’s and a 150mm dropper, but think the drivetrain and wheels/tyres are the key points, as above.

p.s. Yes I’ve missed some weeds on the patio, and I know the gear outer isn’t a great match with the saddle…

damascus
    Free Member

@dogthomson I tried some xtr m9000 cranks but they didn’t fit, they actually knocked on the chainstay.

My non boost m9020 xtr cranks fit. They don’t have a lot of clearance but they have never touched the chainstay. Neither has the oval 32t chain ring.

Don’t forget a chainstay protector, the chain chips the paint easily.

ricardowight
    Free Member

I think the weeds match the water bottle beautifully!
    Nice build by the way.
    Mine has ended up at 29.5lb and I’m happy with that, it feels a lot lighter than that when I’m riding it.
    It’s rapid on rolling trails, super stable and confidence inspiring on downhill and really great on the climbs.
    I’m very pleased with it. I’ve added up all that I’ve spent and it comes to approx £450 spent and a raid of the shed!!
    Super bargain!

core

As above, I haven’t ridden it in anger yet, going back to @brant ‘s comments on sizing earlier though, I’m 6ft on a large, with a 70mm stem and 740mm riser bars, it doesn’t feel long. With the sloping top tube and all that seatpost, I think I could easily get away with an extra large with a short stem, though would have potential to be a barge in the tight and twisty stuff.

Has anyone previously noted the similarity in numbers to a Cotic Solaris Max?

Lastly, if anyone sees any deals on, or has a 30.9 dropper with an under saddle lever let me know please!

jo90
    Free Member

Hi Sam. I have a KS Speed Up Dropper Post off my Whyte Gisburn. It’s only 65mm drop which may not be enough for your mtb but condition is as new. Cheers Steve

damascus
    Free Member

I’m 6ft on a large, with a 70mm stem and 740mm riser bars, it doesn’t feel long. With the sloping top tube and all that seatpost, I think I could easily get away with an extra large with a short stem, though would have potential to be a barge in the tight and twisty stuff.

I’m 6ft3 on an XL with 35mm stem. I think you would struggle to ride an XL, it’s feels long.

cp

For those who missed out… Based on a PX Facebook picture they just posted, there will be a clearance sale of shop soiled kit… And the pic includes a few scandals frames.

Sale starts at 2 ish Saturday, FB live event with frames listed on their website. They normally link to the frame listing on their FB page when it starts. This is how I got mine and it just had a tiny chip on one of the chainstays.

ElVino

This is my first build and I’m struggling on which hose or cable to route through each port or hole in the frame.

Thinking of rear brake and gear cable through removable port on top left of the down tube and out the removable port at the underneath the down tube.

Then dropper cable through the hole on the top right of the down tube and out the hole at the bottom left of the down tube just above the bottom bracket.

Is this correct? or should I take the rear brake hose out the hole at the bottom left of the down tube. Any help appreciated.

mtbqwerty

I did as you described…seems to work fine.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I did the entry as you suggest and I did the exits in line with where the cables go – so brake on NDS, dropper in the middle and gear on DS.

keppoch

What size Scandal would owners recommend for someone 6′ with 32/33″ inside leg also riding a M Soul and a L Transition Scout?

I have ridden On One 456’s before but seemed to fall between what were then 18″ and 20″ frames with neither feeling the right size.

core

The large, at least.

damascus
    Free Member

What size Scandal would owners recommend for someone 6′ with 32/33″ inside leg also riding a M Soul and a L Transition Scout?

Brant who designed the bike in an earlier post suggested we should ride a smaller frame these days so we can manoeuvre it around.

I’d look back at his comments for the best advice on sizing.

I’m 6ft3 and I’d suggest the XL is too big. I wouldn’t want to ride it if I was any smaller.

bish

Should have mine built up tomorrow, everything but the dropper post has now turned up. Really looking forward to getting it built and ridden it’s been a pile of boxes for way too long.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What size Scandal would owners recommend for someone 6′ with 32/33″ inside leg

I’m precisely those stats and have the Large, which I find absolutely spot on. If you’re in Devon you’re welcome to a socially separated test ride.

misteralz
    Free Member

I’m 6’2″ and on a large Scandal. It feels pretty much spot on with a right short stem.

ElVino

I did the entry as you suggest and I did the exits in line with where the cables go – so brake on NDS, dropper in the middle and gear on DS.

Thanks to both for replies – took me a few seconds to work out what NDS & DS stood for. Sorry just checking what you meant by dropper in the middle. I only see 2 lower holes one for a single cable on the NDS at the bottom of the down tube and one for a double on the DS?

stanstorey
    Free Member

Just to add….

I had one of the very first GX builds from PX which has actually been pretty faultless.
    Guide brakes have been a bit faffy despite fettling and front wheel bearings didn’t last too long, but apart from that all has been good

On arrival I added an Ascend dropper, 780mm bars as it came with 740mm selcof carbon thing and a Guide RE front brake i had in the shed.

I tried to run it with 3 sets of wheels, 27.5+ 3.0, 29-2.6 and 29-1.9 (earlier in this thread) as a one bike solution and it performed well with each set…

…then I picked up a nukeproof digger drop bar contraption and that does skinny tyre uncomfortableness now and just ran the scandal with 29×2.6 and started to get a bit bored.

The Fulcrum Red zone 700 wheels that came with the early builds are not the lightest, but have actually been a pleasantly surprising wheel to run for the dosh.

But…my scandal has come alive with a lighter set of wheels (DT Swiss XR1501 25mm) and dropping back down to a light 2.35 tyre (Vittoria Mezcal).

Genuinely fallen back in love with the bike having got a bit bored of hauling 2.6 DHF/Rs around. I am not very gnar – but like to go fast.

I shall be keeping an eye out for a deal on the selcof carbon front fork as I am intrigued to see how it performs with a lighter front end.

Glad to see so many enjoying their cheap hardtail builds 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

front wheel bearings didn’t last too long, but apart from that all has been good

Does the disk side have a dust cap on it? I was looking at mine the other day and realised the bearing is just there under the disk! Sure I’ve not lost anything as the little locking collar is still there.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Sorry just checking what you meant by dropper in the middle.

Fair question – wasn’t thinking properly. The rear brake and dropper come out of the screw in port and the gear cable out of the fixed one.

Edit: looking at your text again. The single exit is on the drive side and the twin exit is on the non drive side. It doesn’t make any difference really, I just routed them so they had the straightest runs across the bb shell and onward.

wzzzz
    Free Member
    bigjim

absolute lol look at all the damaged headtube ones. I wonder if they are returns that were send in a wheel box and arrived with a dented head tube like mine, just being flogged again for a few quid less.

akira

Just bought one so I’ll let you know. 🙄

blokeuptheroad

Just bought one so I’ll let you know. 🙄

Me too. Fingers crossed.

akira

Anyone know the ral code for scandal orange?

Viewing 40 posts - 801 through 840 (of 1,232 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.