Home Forums Chat Forum Tarmac Drive – price per m2

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Tarmac Drive – price per m2
    cb
    Free Member

Any ideas on what the cost should be?  NW based.

Legit builders please, not the other type of ‘provider’ of such services.

Any recommendations for south Manc / East Cheshire as well?

Thanks

goldfish24

Tarmacs the easy bit. Sub base preparation is key. So very much depends on what is required on the site. I’m sure some will be along shortly to give you some guide prices.

edit; oh, and how many m^2 do you need? This is hardly a price by the m^2 job, it’s a hell of a lot cheaper per m^2 to do 1000 than 10.

cb
    Free Member

OK, for context its about 50m2.  Existing tarmac driveway, just 20 years old.  Has sunk a little close to the house and generally very second hand looking.

Have considered block paving and resin but guessing those options will be quite a bit more expensive.

fossy

If it’s looking tatty, you can use tarmac paint (wickes) – it does a really good job. I did this to ours a couple of years ago due to son spilling multiple amounts of car oils on it, and petrol, which needed patching. Made a big difference, and a couple of years on, still looks ‘uniform’ in colour now it’s weather and use worn, rather than having various ‘stains’.

goldfish24

Ah, so it’s more of a refurb job.

as above, you could freshen it up with tarmac paint at very low cost. But that won’t fix the sunken bit. Range of options depending on how sunk.

if you want to bring someone in to do it proper you’re probably best asking for recommendations for honest local firms that can come take a look and discuss options depending on how good you want the finished job to be.

dyls

50m2 is quite a big area – 6tonnes.

I would guess a couple of days total – to remove existing, touch up and level with sub base and lay 6tonnes.

I’d guess £750 materials, 3 man gang, 2 days inc mini excavator, roller and hand laid, another £1,250 to £1,500.

So £2,000 to £2,250 would be my guess, unless you are in London or somewhere more expensive.

dyls

I have used the ‘paint’ on my tarmac drive. It doesn’t last if you have cracking and so on in the tarmac, it will show again within 12 months.

You can overband any cracks, but its quite visible then from an aethetics point of view.

cb
    Free Member

First quote I received was for £126m2!  Over £6k plus VAT.

Dyls’s numbers were more like my expectations but could have stomached £4k I guess.

I’ll try and get some more quotes.

dyls

Did they quote for removing the existing sub base as well? They may have priced for a complete new drive?

So new sub base, new binder and new surface course.

Can you post a breakdown of their price? Or did they just givr a lump sum?

cb
    Free Member

Lump sum, no detail as such.

ElShalimo

@cb – call Calco in Urmston. They do a lot of big jobs around the NW. 50m² isn’t big for them

Home

j4mie
    Free Member

Worth calling your gas company (network side) to check if they need to dig up and replace your gas pipes just after you’ve laid your expensive new tarmac. Think it’s Cadent who cover Manchester area.

poolman
    Free Member

Ours was expensive, tarmac bit was reasonable, but prep and various drain covers added a fair bit.  Builder added in a few lines of block paving to break up the expanse.  Also, he dug down loads to get a stable base.  This was 10 years ago, c8k for a 4 car drive, side passage.  Tarmac hasnt aged at all and i jetwash the block paving, so it was expensive up front but hasnt aged at all.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

OK, for context its about 50m2.

Then you need planning permission for that unless you use some form of permeable material.

Basically putting block paving around and through it and proper sink away draining (not in to a sewer)

Will sort out the cowboys (or girls, or people we are not allowed to mention)

airvent
    Free Member

Maybe wait until April or May – it’s that time of year where public bodies have to spend their money or lose it so surfacing is an easy win. Most tarmac contractors I know are busy now but I reckon if you went back out and got quotes in a month’s time you’d get better prices.

intheborders
    Free Member

We recently had our drive redone, it was gravel but a mess and over the years my ‘fix’ had always to get another lorry load of stone and spread it myself.

Just over 100m2.  They took 4-6″ of the existing away and levelled it, put down Type 1, rolled & levelled then sand and a vegetation membrane.  Finally interlocking plastic grids and gravel.

It’s an odd shape with lots of small borders/stone walls & paths – so not a simple ‘straight line’ etc.

Took a week for 2 of them, just over £7k all-in (including the grids which we bought).

Happy with their work and the price.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.