Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized FSR Extreme suspension link

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Specialized FSR Extreme suspension link
  • zw444
    Free Member

Hi, I recently bought a Specialized FSR Extreme frame as a little project and I was hoping you guys could answer a few questions.

I’ve been looking at these suspension links from BETD http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/items.asp?CategoryID=48&Name=Specialized+Linkages+and+Upgrades

I believe I need the one at the bottom of the page, the FSR Gc 97-99 one, if anyone can confirm this that would be great? Also has anyone else had experience with these links, what do you think about them and would you recommend one? Finally if anyone has one lying around they wouldn’t mind selling, please let me know.

Thanks for looking

wordnumb
    Free Member

Well the GC stands for Ground Control, so if your frame is a Ground Control from 97-99 – and I’m not sure of any of Spesh’s frames other than Ground Controls given the name “Extreme” – then yeah it’ll work.

zw444
    Free Member

To be honest I’m not 100% sure if its the ground control, but when I type FSR extreme into google it only seems to come up with the Specialized Ground Control FSR Extreme

Speshpaul

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139602

have a look at this thread

I “think” the Extreme was a ground control with triple clamps.-prepares to be corrected.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Model name will be written beneath “Specialized” on the top tube, iir.

zw444
    Free Member

Here’s some pics of the frame

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I had one a few years ago for retro project, makes a good full suss but they sit in the rear travel quite a bit. The rear shock shaft seems a bit gruby so might a service, a air shock be better. I-2-I length of shock is 165mm and the betd link be good to get. Retrobike.co.uk is good for advice, as well somebody might have a betd link if put a wanted ad up in both sections

nickjb
    Free Member

That looks the similar to the wife’s bike. It had an identical linkage to the one in your image which has been replaced with the BETD one. The bearings are much better and there is adjustable travel. Didn’t really play with the travel much, though.

Here it is fitted:

The frame has recently been replaced and this one is sat in the shed so it could be spare but I’m not that keen to let it go as I’d rather have a complete spare frame but you are welcome to make an offer.

zw444
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll try Retrobike and post an ad in the wanted section.

zw444
    Free Member

The frame has recently been replaced and this one is sat in the shed so it could be spare but I’m not that keen to let it go as I’d rather have a spare frame but you are welcome to make an offer.

That looks like what I need

Would the offer be for the frame or just the link?

Do you have any price range in mind? I’ve still got to buy almost everything for the bike and I’m hoping not to spend too much, so I don’t want to offend you with any stupid offers :|, plus I’m not sure how much these things go for, apart from BETD themselves.

zw444
    Free Member

As far as an offer for just the link, I saw a Specialized Enduro 02 to 04 BETD Linkage go for £25 not including P/P on ebay yesterday. Would you consider this or were you wanting more/less?

nickjb
    Free Member

That’s probably about what it’s worth but in my case it renders the frame a bit useless so for £25 I’d rather keep it and keep the frame as a potential runner.

zw444
    Free Member

Fair enough, my frame only cost me £40 from ebay, so for now It might be best for me to wait around and see if I can pick one up from the wanted section.

On a separate note, does your frame have needle bearings instead of the normal plastic bushes, if so how hard are these to fit and do you need any special tools to do the job?

Speshpaul

the needle bearings are easy to and are one of the best mods for olf fsr frame. the plastic bushings stick, so you need a certain amount of force before the linkage will move.
    the needle bearings are buttery.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just dug this out while tidying :-D

[/url]
    photo[/url] by Loco Tuning[/url], on Flickr

zw444
    Free Member

Cheers Speshpaul, I know you can get the bearing kits from BETD, but do you know if its possible to get similar kits from a local bearing shops?

Speshpaul

You be able to get the replacement needle bearings, but the kit comes with seals stainless bushings that fit in the rollers and a stepped bolt kit, stainless again IIRC. Its a nice little bit of kit.

zw444
    Free Member

Cheers

Are they just standard stainless steel bushings that you can normally pick up cheap or are they very specific to the bike?

Just trying to see if I’ll be able to pick up the bushes and bearings cheaper elsewhere, compared to BETD

Speshpaul

No, only the bearings are stock item everything else is custom made by BETD hence the cost.

zw444
    Free Member

Ah, oh well.

Thanks anyway

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Specialized FSR Extreme suspension link’ is closed to new replies.