Home Forums Bike Forum Specialized Epic Brain shock

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Specialized Epic Brain shock
  • mjsmke

A question for anyone who might know about the brain shock on the current Epic.

If the shock brakes, what other shocks fit? Or do you have to stick to a specific shock?

PJM1974
    Free Member

No idea I’m afraid, but these guys might be able to help.

large418
    Free Member

When you say “breaks” – do you mean the brain lockout or the whole thing? On mine (admittedly a 2018 epic), the lockout broke and it just worked like a non locked out shock – always active.

I think you would struggle to find a replacement, however recon shocks should start to become available soon.

mjsmke

When you say “breaks” – do you mean the brain lockout or the whole thing?

Either. It’s a deal breaker if I can’t fit a regular shock as an alternative. Especially with the current parts shortage.

stumpy01

It probably depends on what version of the Epic you are thinking of.

The standard Epic (not the Evo) looks to have an unusual specification shock (on top of all the Brain shenanigans- 265*52.5) and looking for standard shocks with those numbers doesn’t really yield any results from a quick search.
    The shock is also described as ‘integrated extension’ which if you look at the images seems to suggest that the shock yoke is part of the shaft assembly. I suspect this would seriously limit your options in the future, unless some kind of work-around is created by third parties.

However, the Epic Evo seems to run a much more standard shock set-up with what looks to be a yoke that attaches to the end of the standard shock shaft.

This is just from looking at the specification on the website & the images.
    Probably worth contacting a concept store or Spesh dealer for confirmation.

snowy1
    Free Member

The shock on my 2018 stopped locking out over the winter. The cause is a worn seal, so it’s essentially a service issue.

I looked at a couple of options and in the end paid £140 for a service, and now it’s working fine again. Let me know and I’ll give you a number/email address. It’s not a DIY job as the shock needs to be recharged – I think this is the case for any shock.

You can replace the shock with a non-Brain. But you’ll need one of these too: https://www.tftuned.com/ep02-epic-2018-2020/p3996

There is also some information about shock compatibility on that page. They recommend an X-Fusion Microlite RL, which has the full 100mm travel. A friend got a SIDluxe and it fits fine (and is light) but he has lost some travel.

mjsmke

Im looking at the new one. I’ll have a look at the Evo.

mjsmke

Just looked at the Evo but looking for something higher spec. X01/XX1. Shame Specialized have made their epic so restrictive in terms of parts and upgrades.

susepic

I’m running a 2020 EpicEvo, which does have a brain shock. The whole shock and brain is one assembly, with the brain attached to the shock via a tube, through the hollow yoke into the shock. This is how the brain shock goes from locked out to active. So difficult to attach a different shock to a Brain equipped bike.

The Evo is an absolute flyer and perfect for the riding I do.

I don’t think they are being restrictive, they are creating a unique bike for a specfic set of circumstances, and if that doesn’t suit it’s the wrong bike for you.

mjsmke

The rest of the bike is perfect. Just don’t want a bike with a part that will need replacing at some point and can’t be replaced with anything else.

boriselbrus

I’ve had various Epics and a Brain Stumpjumper since 2005. I’ve only once had an issue – with the Stumpy when it lost all the damping. Spesh UK serviced it and turned it around inside a week.

IMO the Brain is what makes the Epic the bike it is and it certainly wouldn’t put me off.

tomhoward

Just looked at the Evo but looking for something higher spec.

Higher spec than this?

(There’s a few models in the range 4k to 12k)

mjsmke

Ah I didn’t see those! The Evo Pro looks like a contender.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Specialized Epic Brain shock’ is closed to new replies.