Home Forums Bike Forum sonder camino drop bar v’s flat bar options

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • sonder camino drop bar v’s flat bar options
  • karnali
    Free Member

I had a spare set of wheels that would fit a camino frame and an 11-36 cassette, so ordered a framset and collected all the parts to build it as a drop bar (ritchey venture max flare bars) 2×11 with r7000 sti’s and grx double 30-46. To be used for some forest and gravel riding around the north lakes mainly, and a bit of touring as well. the bike also needs to double as a mtb for occaisional family rides around blues at whinlatter and glentress etc.

A lockdown sort out has also left me with a double mtb set up of slx and xt with 24-38 chainset and an 11-34 cassette, flat bars stem meaning i would need a cheap set of brakes probably mt200 and either flat mount adaptors or change the callipers to flat mount ones. (this option works out a fair bit cheaper. And I was thinking a pair of deeply unfashionable bar ends.

anyone ride a flat barred gravel bike, my thoughts are it will be quicker downhill as wider bars and higher position as not on the drops should give more confidence and control, just wondering what it will be like for longer sections on road. also can i just fit flat mount callipers probably tiagra to mtb brake levers?

thoughts and opinions welcome

ta

nickc
    letmetalktomark

My 2 cents ….

I have an XL Camino.

From what I can gather comparing geometries its approximately 15mm longer reach that a comparable sized “gravel” bike. Despite my ape like arms and usual comfort with 500mm+ reach frames I am happy with 44cm bars (non flared) and an 80mm(?) stem.

I would have thought going far bar would have been fine without too much of a compromise reach wise.

That said I ride mine for what you also describe – family rides etc and its actually my go to for bridleway exploring really quite comfortable and with multiple hand positions.

Living in the flat lands of Suffolk there is not much in the way of gnar here. That said I am surprised by how comfortable and confidence inspiring it feels riding downs in the drops – no real comparison to a HT but not the black/white I would have thought.

I’m afraid I cannot help on the brakes as I went with TRP Spyres and some Apex brifters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘sonder camino drop bar v’s flat bar options’ is closed to new replies.