Viewing 19 posts - 1,681 through 1,699 (of 1,699 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season
  • avdave2

I’m hoping the final will be better, that was the third place play off wasn’t it, assume it must have been given the lack of real interest in either team

sarawak
    Free Member

Liverpool 6
    Man Utd. 6th

Sums it up nicely.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Watched in a pub with shite sound – so missed out on a lot of the punditry. Looked to me like Liverpool went for an early goal – they loaded the left side at kick off and played everything down that side. Penalty? Hmmm…but given what we’ve seen this year in the UCL, you really shouldn’t be standing with your arm out in the air if you’re defending in your box.

The early goal kinda killed it I think – you’d think it would make for a good game but it looked like the Liverpool defence more or less had the Spurs attack in its pocket, and when it didn’t, Allison put in some great saves. Van Dyck was immense again. Pretty sure I remember him putting a stunning tackle in against Son when it looked like he’d left him for dead. I have no idea how he does shit like that.

Other take-aways from the game…

Joel Matip has a champions league medal playing in defence in a final. This is a man who famously goose-stepped to a referee to complain. 😀

Origi, who can’t even get a start for league games (and let’s face it, if you’re behind Bobby, Mo and Sadio, that’s not exactly an insult…) has scored three of the most historic goals for Liverpool in his last two games. 😀

Spurs fans – bloody turn up with some decent flags – it’s the UCL Final for crissakes. Liverpool fans at the opposite end have 3 or 4 flags the size of your house waving and you’re just waving the plastic shite put there by the organisers.

Was it Trippier that feigned being hit/elbowed in the face? That’s trying to get a player sent off! Hang your head lad.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Never mind Matip and Origi, Alberto Moreno has a Champions League winners medal!

binners

With Origi it send like you’ve got the best supersub since Ole. Talk about coming up with the goods when it matters?

Fergie always said that he kept Ole on the bench because he could read a game better than any player he’d ever seen. So if he brought him on for the last 20, he’d know exactly where the weak points were and exploit them to the max.

Whenever Fergie brought him on, you knew he’d Score. I remember him coming on for the last 20 at Old Trafford and getting a hat trick in 15 minutes (IIRC it was against Villa)

He famously came on and put 4 past Notts Forest in ten minutes

Origi looks exactly like that. Big thing to ask to be that good, but he certainly looks like he’s got the same mentality. His goals have all been absolute peaches too! He’s quality!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

It was a great finish. But everything else he did was terrible! First touch awful as was passing. But who cares! I think they need another forward who can play wide to rotate the front three and a more creative midfielder. Defence and defensive midfield is sorted though.

weeksy

I

t was a great finish. But everything else he did was terrible! First touch awful as was passing. But who cares!It was a great finish. But everything else he did was terrible! First touch awful as was passing. But who cares!

That’s not unusual in his world though, but you cannot deny what he’s done in the last few weeks. I’ll put him in the history books based upon them recent goals with no question 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

Spurs fans – bloody turn up with some decent flags – it’s the UCL Final for crissakes. Liverpool fans at the opposite end have 3 or 4 flags the size of your house waving and you’re just waving the plastic shite put there by the organisers.

Flags, we don’t need no steenking flags! 😂

According to our lot in the ground Liverpool may have had the flags but our lot sang louder and longer. I was in a pub in Madrid with loads of Spurs upstairs and Liverpool downstairs, didn’t hear much from them either. The good thing was that it was all pretty much good natured all weekend, I think the Spanish old bill caused more problems than the fans!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rafa’s off then. Gutted for Toon fans. That’s not great news is it, but was on the cards I suppose.

MSP

I woulodn’t be surprised to see him rehired if the proposed takeover gets done soon, I wonder if it is the kick up the arse that Ashley needs to get the deal over the line, because the clubs valuation will surely fall without Rafa.

Funny thing though, I was thinking the other day, I don’t think the statistics actually match the accusations of how bad Ashley runs the club. Despite the leadership pantomime, have they really done any worse in the Ashley years than they did in the 20-30 years previously?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Nope I guess not. When did they last win anything? I suppose it’s frustration at the size of the club in terms of stadium and support snd the potential – but then you could say the same for Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday maybe.

hodgynd
    Free Member

@ MSP …have we really done any worse in the Ashley years than we did in the 20-30 years previously ?
    Err..yes !
    We were a top 4 side playing Champions League football in the Sir John Hall years ..how quickly you forget ..
    Ashley is a prize dick ..and the fact that he is prepared to lose the club’s biggest asset proves once again that he has never really been serious about selling the club ..my hatred for the man grows daily ..

MSP

You were a top 4 side for 2 or 3 years, In the 80’s you spent more time in the 2nd division than the first.

how quickly you forget ..

Quite clearly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, some proper black n white tinted spectacles there! 🙂

gobuchul
    Free Member

You were a top 4 side for 2 or 3 years,

Not quite. There were 2 spells, 1 with Keegan the other with Robson.

binners

Due for a return, maybe

😉

MSP

Not quite. There were 2 spells, 1 with Keegan the other with Robson.

The point still stands, the European years were the anomaly, the Ashley years have just been business as normal for finishing positions.

1978–79 Div 2 8th
    1979–80 Div 2 9th
    1980–81 Div 2 11th
    1981–82 Div 2 9th
    1982–83 Div 2 5th
    1983–84 Div 2 3rd
    1984–85 Div 1 14th
    1985–86 Div 1 11th
    1986–87 Div 1 17th
    1987–88 Div 1 8th
    1988–89 Div 1 20th
    1989–90 Div 2 3rd
    1990–91 Div 2 11th
    1991–92 Div 2 20th
    1992–93 Div 1 1st
    1993–94 Prem 3rd
    1994–95 Prem 6th
    1995–96 Prem 2nd
    1996–97 Prem 2nd
    1997–98 Prem 13th
    1998–99 Prem 13th
    1999–2000 Prem 11th
    2000–01 Prem 11th
    2001–02 Prem 4th
    2002–03 Prem 3rd
    2003–04 Prem 5th
    2004–05 Prem 14th
    2005–06 Prem 7th
    2006–07 Prem 13th
    2007–08 Prem 12th
    2008–09 Prem 18th
    2009–10 Cham 1st
    2010–11 Prem 12th
    2011–12 Prem 5th
    2012–13 Prem 16th
    2013–14 Prem 10th
    2014–15 Prem 15th
    2015–16 Prem 18th
    2016–17 Cham 1st
    2017–18 Prem 10th
    2018–19 Prem 13th

Not that Ashley isn’t a cock, that can be seen more with the way he treats his employees in other business rather than by the way he runs a football club. But it is far from a foregone conclusion that Newcastle would have done better with another owner, in fact it could have been another Leeds, aston villa or even Sunderland.

gobuchul
    Free Member

But it is far from a foregone conclusion that Newcastle would have done better with another owner, in fact it could have been another Leeds, aston villa or even Sunderland.

I don’t disagree.

I don’t like Ashley but I would rather have him than some UAE owners. I might be in the minority but I honestly don’t want them here.

hodgynd
    Free Member

If new owners invest enough to at least give us a chance of competing at the top end of the table / winning something ( anything !) I couldn’t give a flying duck where the come from ..

Viewing 19 posts - 1,681 through 1,699 (of 1,699 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season’ is closed to new replies.