Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,699 total)
  • Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

First game of the season, promising signs from Newcastle but Ali is going to get caught with  the decent some day. Kicking the ball away every time something didn’t go his way, chatting back and just being a spoilt brat out there. Such a shame for such a talented player.

binners

Rockape – Mrs Binners just asked “is the new Arsenal manager someone the job centre sent?” 😂

martinhutch

Has she put a cheeky bet on the first sighting of an ‘Emery out’ banner?

binners

I’ll ask her. She called every result yesterday on an acca, and is 100 quid up so far this weekend. I’m not! 🙁 i’m Just going to ask her what she’s bet on and do that in future.

Well at least 606 later can carry on where they left off last season 😂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well MOTD2 on the TV but today I’d say advantage Liverpool 😉 Looking very threatening and landing on their feet. City looking just a little less dangerous but still starting quickly.

Ignoring the elective MOTD footage Man U, Spurs have a lot further to go to get to where they were last season.

An what is this new TV thing on MOTD2? Pundits standing up!!

MSP

City probably had the hardest test of the opening weekend, looked a little stutering, but still bringing their world cup players back up to speed, wasn’t a full strength team but still to much for the gooners. That said I think there is more to come from Arsenal as well.

Saw the first half of ManU against Leicester, thought ManU looked poor against a team that will be lucky to get top half this season. Also saw a chunk of Fulham vs Palace, though Fulham looked pretty decent and the better team for the most part, but they will need steel to add to their creativity.

binners

Liverpool looked as dangerous as last season going forward, but it’ll be interesting to see how they defend against teams more attack-minded than West Haaaaaam. Milner was really good yesterday. How old is he? He seems to have been around forever!

City look scary. They didn’t really look like they broke a sweat against Arsenal yesterday. It was a comfortable win when you look at their bench and the players who didn’t even start. Sterling looked really good yesterday, continuing the theme of last season of players who constantly improve under Pep. Oh that we had a manager who was interested in that? 🙁

And whats going on with MOTD2? It looked like they’ve handed over the programme’s design to a 12-year-old with ADHD

martinhutch

Well MOTD2 on the TV but today I’d say advantage Liverpool Looking very threatening and landing on their feet. City looking just a little less dangerous but still starting quickly.

Too early to say. Liverpool at full strength at home against West Ham probably not equivalent to City not at full strength (no De Bruyne) away at Arsenal, even a diminished Arsenal.

Lets see if Klopp has improved the defence this season.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Too early to say.

Hence the smiley in the middle of all that!!

Cletus

Well MOTD2 on the TV but today I’d say advantage Liverpool  Looking very threatening and landing on their feet. City looking just a little less dangerous but still starting quickly.

It’s Liverpool’s year (again!!!!)

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

“no De Bruyne”

did you watch the match?  He came on as a sub

martinhutch

Ah, must have missed that, thought he’d been rested entirely. Not sure whether that should be any comfort to Arsenal fans, they’ve clearly got a big rebuilding job to do.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Can’t copy and paste a quote for some reason.

Yeah, yeah Binners, not the best start to the season, some strange selections, but lets give the poor bloke a chance, after all it was a bit of a baptism of fire!  Also we lost 0-3 in the same game earlier this year, so he’s already improved the side! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s the point where arsenal need to be taken apart to be put back together so it will take time.

It’s OK though arsenal are patient. Good time to play them though.

binners

Its dead easy to replace a manager who’s been there for over twenty years. I mean, just look at us……

Oh wait…. hang on a minute…

😉

Rockape63
    Free Member

Yeah but look who you’ve hired…..Moyes, LVG and then finally the worst one of the lot!

We’ll take our chance for the time being thanks! 🙂

(le Prof was never in Fergie’s league anyway and long past his sell by)

meesterbond

As a lifelong West Ham sufferer it’s nice to see that we’ve spent £100m or whatever and yet still have the defensive frailties we’ve had for the last god knows how long.  The Sky Liverpool love-in was excruciating though.

That said, better teams than us are going to visit Anfield this year and get soundly beaten.  I don’t know if they’re 17 points better than last season but Klopp has clearly improved what was already a top notch side.

I’ll reserve judgement until we’ve played a few more mediocre teams in the next few games… Bournemouth, Arsenal and Wolves…

ransos
    Free Member

As a lifelong West Ham sufferer it’s nice to see that we’ve spent £100m or whatever and yet still have the defensive frailties we’ve had for the last god knows how long

Trying to play a high defensive line against Liverpool was really dumb.

meesterbond

Totally…

Although the one time it actually worked, the assistant ref missed the offside for the third goal and then Jamie Bloody Redknapp add insult to injury and blames West Ham for playing that way rather than the officials for their ineptitude!

theboatman
    Free Member

‘could be a long season’ seemed to be the sentiment for the home fan’s at the matches I attended this weekend.

Luckily I didn’t attend my beloved Rams getting dismantled by a strong looking Leeds team, but probably a good wake up call after the Lampard love in we’ve all been having.

But as the other half and dad to 4 Owl’s fans, I attended an eye wateringly expensive trip to watch a poor Wednesday team fail to nick it against an equally poor Hull. I fear the girl’s face a long season as the club are penalised by FFP sanctions and reaping the legacies of poor club management and Carlos Carvahal. And since the Chairman seems to be banking on promotion to save them, it could be a poor few year’s.

So my Championship top three;

1 Boro

2 Villa

3 Forest or Leeds (and boy, that hurts to say… 😭)

On Sunday I was at the Arsenal v City match, as my best mate has a couple of season tickets. To me, City won it at a cantar and Arsenal fans didn’t really see anything that didn’t suggest a lot of work needs doing. Couple of the new signings showed promise, but there was a collective sigh at watching Ramsey wander round like a drunk looking for a kebab shop. Whilst the fans were leaving in their droves in the last 20, those that remained stayed in reasonable voice. But, I can’t help think the sky banner pilot’s are not looking for alternative employment just yet.

For the Premiership;

1 City

2 Liverpool

3 Utd

deepreddave
    Free Member

As a Leeds fan I know it’s far too early to get excited but I’ve never seen a Leeds team pass the ball from defence to attack as well as this team has done in the first two games. The fact that 10 of the players were in the team that struggled so badly in the second half of the season makes it all the more amazing. Interesting times!

@theboatman
    – I appreciate your pain but we’ve waited a long while to see a result like that and in such style….

theboatman
    Free Member

@deepreddave – first time I’ve missed the Leeds fixture in year’s, but the main comment from those that went was you looked better than Wolves when they turned up early last season and gave us a similar sacking. We don’t usually compliment your lot to easily. At 1—4 down with 20 minutes left to go, your travelling fan’s enjoyed it and let us know.

deepreddave
    Free Member

@theboatman good to hear and two great performances is better than two poor ones but it’s still only two! I’m genuinely shocked by the quality of the play though, wonder what previous managers REALLY think watching the same players perform like that?!

tomhoward

It’s the point where arsenal need to be taken apart to be put back together so it will take time

Emery had better get a move on, the board will only give him 21 or maybe 22 years before they expect results.

thejesmonddingo

Meanwhile in League 1,the mighty Barnsley have won their first 2,despite having a manager who can’t speak English,straight back up ?

MSP

errr, when I predicted the gooners to finish in the top 4, I misspoke,what I actually meant was that they are relegation fodder.

binners

This is a bloody brilliant game!! I’m going for 5 – 4, but I don’t know who too.

Nice to see 2 teams do away with any pretence at defending 😂

binners

How many sitters are Arsenal going to put into Row Z? 😳

MSP

WTF? should be 6-2 to arsenal now after being battered for most of the half.

MSP

City struggling without KDB 🙂

If you haven’t got Mendy in your fantasy team you have made a mistake.

binners

Or Silva.  He was awesome today. Again! That free kick was unreal. Aguaro didn’t look too shabby either.

Anyway… I feel sure that that performance is about to be eclipsed by the other Manchester squad who will deliver a searing display of fast-paced, incisive, free-flowing attacking football.

Yes… most definitely.

Try not to doze off

binners

On a slight tangent… what on earths this thing about absolutely hideous, shell-suit-esque ‘kits’ that players wear when they’re sat on the bench?

They all look like they’ve been ‘designed’ by a blind person with ADHD who’s been smoking spice

martinhutch

Try not to doze off

Wake up! It’s all gone to shit! Already!

On another slight tangent, Mourinho slagging off City for being a rich club, but not being able to buy class, is the most unintentionally funny thing he’s said for a while.

binners

Absolutely ****ing woeful!!! As bad a United performance as I’ve ever witnessed. Absolutely all over the place at the back, and completely toothless going forward! They’re getting in behind us every time. The score-line totally reflects the first half. Played us off the park!

I don’t even want to think about what City or Liverpool’s front line would do to this defence, which between it cost £117 million, yet looks like a pub team

Get the miserable **** gone and get Zidane in. Or anyone that the players actually want to play for.

The only silver lining is I’ve got Gross on my FF squad

RicB

Worst Utd display since the LVG era. No one has any idea what do do- one shot on target in second half

The 2008 Utd team would batter this Utd team 5-0

RicB

What on earth do they practice in training? It’s clearly not practicing attacking or defending! Crochet?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

“I understand why he is a bit emotional,” said Mourinho of Ferguson. “He has some of the top players in the world and they should be doing a lot better than that. You would be sad if your team gets as clearly dominated by opponents who have been built on 10% of the budget.”

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/9806753/jose-mourinho-v-manchester-united-the-history-of-a-rivalry-in-quotes

The 2008 Utd team would batter this Utd team 5-0

3-0 some of them are looking a bit slower these days 😉

hodgynd
    Free Member

Having witnessed two Newcastle games on Sky ..all I can say is that it’s going to be a long long season ..dire would be a compliment .

For the life of me what were the management thinking allowing Kenedy to take that last minute penalty …he had up to that point an absolute shocker of a game where absolutely f/all had come  off ..that will have helped his confidence no end ..the rest of the team being no better ..

Ho hum ..

binners

I presume the Pogba on the pitch wasn’t World Cup winner Paul Pogba, but Barry Pogba who normally plays in the Evo-Stick Northern League, with Colin Lakaku.

Absolutely dire! Difficult to see where you go from being that bad. Spurs must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of next week.

Forget challenging for the title (which we were never going to do anyway), we’ll be lucky to finish mid-table on that performance.

Good managers develop players. Under Jose this squad is going backwards, fast!

MSP

But I  am sure he will show his class in the post match interview.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,699 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball Goooaaaaal! 2018/19 season’ is closed to new replies.