Viewing 40 posts - 2,241 through 2,280 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • dander

I guess it’s the Chelsea way but it’s very muddled thinking. Sign a coach who’s worked well with a smallish group of players, buy loads of players that he probably didn’t have much say in buying, then sack him a few weeks later. Tuchel must have a wry smile on his face tonight.

binners

It looks like Chelsea are looking at the Glazers/Ed Woodward model of club ownership – spaffing huge amounts of money on players with no apparent coherent strategy – and saying ‘that looks like it went well, so let’s go with that’

argee

It’s just a weird old season, think there’s a few one offs this year, you won’t have Chelsea as bad next season, Man City will be business as usual and Arsenal will probably strengthen again, ManU are a team with a huge squad, and will add again i dare say, i think if they got someone like Osihmen in they’d be challenging again, they’ve sorted out most of the team, but like Chelsea, they’re a bit short of an actual forward who can just focus on getting the goals.

MSP

Will/can chelsea steal two brighton managers in one season.

blackhat
    Free Member

It has been apparent for months that Rodgers has been hanging on waiting to be sacked to pick up the compensation. As for Chelsea… there is that saying that money can’t buy you taste, and in the world of football it has long been the case of simply throwing money at players doesn’t work unless there is a cohesive plan; so glad that that the new rich kid on the block has flopped at the first time of asking.

ElShalimo

The US owner or Manager?

binners

Chelsea’s new owner has the same input in team selection as the last one. I doubt Potter had much say (if any) in the players that were bought at absolutely enormous cost

Whichever mug they get in next will be in the same boat and probably last about as long, before his huge payoff

Didn’t Maureen famously make 25 million from Chelsea with his repeated sackings?

Tough gig!

I wonder what Potters contract entitles him too. Wasn’t it a 6 year deal he signed?

Edit: just googled it and he’ll apparently walk away with 50 million. That’s on top of the 22 million they paid Brighton to buy out his contract 😳

muggomagic

Not surprised it hasn’t worked for Potter. It was definitely the worst fit of any of the “big 6”. He was never going to get the time to build a team that he was given at Brighton.
    He was with us for 3 and a bit seasons and it only really clicked for us at the back end of last season.
    The only good thing for him is that things not working out at Chelsea doesn’t harm his chances of getting another mid-lower premier league club and he’s probably pretty high up on the list of any of the clubs below Chelsea in the bottom half that are looking for a long term replacement for their current manager.
    Wouldn’t even be surprised to see someone like West Ham sack Moyes now to try and beat the other clubs that might be interested.

anagallis_arvensis

Come on the Villa!

blackhat
    Free Member

El Shalimo – the buys were obviously the US owner’s choice, underlined by the ridiculous contracts which enabled them to get round fair play rules.

argee

What is it about Kane, that play acting was a disgrace, yet the commentators are backing him to the hilt, England captain, can do no wrong, but every week you see his theatrics, chasing the ref and whinging but gets a free pass from the press.

If Fernandes did that at ManU they’d be hounding him.

argee

Ah, spursy indeed

trailmonkey

Cracking game that. Really enjoyed it.

Caher

What is it about Kane, that play acting was a disgrace, yet the commentators are backing him to the hilt

Kane and Grealish are a blight and no one in the media is calling them out over this.

binners

yet the commentators are backing him to the hilt, England captain, can do no wrong

See also: “Englands Lionheart’ John Terry.

A truly vile human being on so many levels, but it appears that once you get appointed Engerland captain, the press then revere you as deity and you can do what the hell you like without fear of any criticism

The Bruno comparison is a good one. He’s nowhere near as bad as Kane for diving, moaning at refs and general whiney carrying on, but regularly gets slated for it, when there’s not a word about Kane.

Caher

John Terry the living embodiment of a far right Klansmen playing football. One of most unspeakable crimes was parking his 100k+ range rover in the disabled space at Asda. Who’d shop there if they were loaded?

binners

I didn’t actually watch the match last night (though I had bet on a draw) so didn’t see the Kane incident. I’ve watched it this morning. Dear god, that is absolutely embarrassing. I don’t know how you’d have the nerve to ever show your face in public again with that kind of carry on

Mind you, its not like Spurs haven’t got form for this kind of thing. Erik Lamela did exactly the same to get Tony Marshall sent off a few years back. The barest of contacts and he went down like he’d been smashed in the face with a baseball bat

argee

Just listened to the Sky Sports bit, Neville backing Kane to the hilt, it was a hand to the face, Kane went down a second later like he’d been punched by Tyson Fury and stayed down for ages, can’t believe they’re actually defending this, it’s a part of the game that’s been laughed at for years by other sports, yet when Kane does it, it’s suddenly acceptable part of the game.

I just get annoyed at players doing this, but even more annoyed when there’s a player who actually gets backing from the media and commentators after doing it!

Caher

Fortunately I also like rugby which is still allowing the occasional body contact. Of course raising and pushing someone’s face is wrong but clearly the force applied didn’t warrant that reaction. At least Terry Butcher looked like some sort if contact had occurred.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Kane’s antics were embarrassing.

However, it was a red card. The problem is that if players don’t go down, then often don’t get the foul.

There is also the point that Kane himself committed at least 2 yellow card offenses in the play immediate before the hand to face.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I watched the last 30 mins or so of the Spurs game last night – it was like watching a kids match. Felt like Spurs had been ordered to play out from the back but never actually practiced playing out from the back before. Everton deserved the equaliser even though they were only marginally better. Spurs looked absolutely clueless…

argee

To give them their due, Everton battled, and the sending off and the penalty put some fire in them, earlier this year they’d have gone the other way, so you have to give their players and management some credit, they are still a team without a real forward, but if they continue to put that kind of shift in then they should be safe.

theotherjonv

I’m not sure what Carragher and Neville were saying last night. It seems to oscillate between Kane overacting right through to ‘but if a team mate hadn’t done that when we were playing then we’d have had a word in the changing room afterwards’

Spurs playing out from the back is just brilliant. Unless you’re a Spurs fan that is, in which case it must be like watching a toddler move a chair over so he can reach the knife drawer.

theotherjonv
    DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Spurs playing out from the back is just brilliant. Unless you’re a Spurs fan that is, in which case it must be like watching a toddler move a chair over so he can reach the knife drawer.

As a Leeds fan, watching them playing out from the back under the later months of Bielsa’s reign and during Marsch’s tenure was bad enough but Spurs took it up a level. Watching Romero (who is an absolute psychopath) trying to calmly pass the ball wide when he had two players on his shoulder which then led to a good Everton shot was hilarious as an impartial bystander.

Caher

Oh that’s bad. Reading -6, points that is.

binners

As a Leeds fan, watching them playing out from the back under the later months of Bielsa’s reign and during Marsch’s tenure was bad enough but Spurs took it up a level.

I have never sworn as much as when Ten Hag first turned up and insisted on trying to play out from the back with a defence with Harry Maguire in it. That didn’t last long. Watching Spurs try the same is hilarious

johndoh
    Free Member

Oh that’s bad. Reading -6, points that is.

I wonder what will happen to Everton and when…

ransos
    Free Member

However, it was a red card. The problem is that if players don’t go down, then often don’t get the foul.

This. No point complaining about diving unless players get the decision if they stay on their feet.

imnotverygood

Chelsea need to bring back Lampard……..in midfield

binners

Two midtable sides grind out dull 0-0 draw

I only saw the absolutely awful second half, but it looked like neither side could string more than two passes together

It’s difficult to see where on earth all that money has gone at Chelsea. They look like a pub side

Caher

The Scouse and Wide Boy Arms?

Philby

As a Leeds fan it was a huge relief getting 3 points against Forest in the battle at the bottom. Our position has been much helped by Villa beating Leicester and Brighton winning at Bournemouth. If only Spurs could have been less Spursey when Everton went down to 10 men we would have had nearly a full set of results go our way. Here’s hoping Saudi United can get a result against West Ham later tonight. MOT

binners

Oh dear god! Cooper has just had the dreaded ‘vote of confidence’ from the owner

Gone before the next game then?

United v Brentford is another match not on the tellybox tonight. Given our form at the moment and the painful memories of our last meeting, I think thats probably the best for my blood pressure

chestrockwell

The Bruno comparison is a good one. He’s nowhere near as bad as Kane for diving, moaning at refs and general whiney carrying on, but regularly gets slated for it, when there’s not a word about Kane.

Just spat my tea out tbf, old rat face is absolutely odious, a vile player. Kane isn’t brilliant but your chap makes him look a saint! I genuinely don’t think a fan of any other team would agree with that statement.

Anyway, Leeds won and another at the weekend should see us well on the way to safety. MOT, ALAW.

Caher

I genuinely don’t think a fan of any other team would agree with that statement.

I’m a fan of another team and think Kane is a cheating artisan, sure Bruno goes over at times but he comes from a country that belched out that Mourinho team Porto, that played an abysmal final against Celtic 20 years ago. Not sure where in North London Kane learnt his trade.

ElShalimo

Kane learnt the dark arts under a series of managers with form in that area,  Poch, Maureen, Conte (utter shitebag as a player ), Sherwood wasn’t afraid of a dirty tackle either

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

A win far more convincing than the scoreline suggested sets us up for another massive game vs Palace at the weekend.

Like Binners, I watched a good portion of the Chelsea Liverpool game – it was as dire as the Everton Spurs game…

binners

This did make me laugh after the Spuds game

I suspect he’s expressing the feelings of a lot of people there 😂

Still in 4th and the Champions League places though. Christ only knows how.

dander

As sure as the sun rises each day, Spurs will be fourth.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,241 through 2,280 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.