Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • bigdaddy

Frank’s back! The Chelsea way eh! Just when you thought it couldn’t be more scattergun…

Caher

Maybe this time it’ll work for him. He’s nothing to lose being loaded and all that.

dander

Hopefully he’ll do ok enough to get the job like Ole did at United 😀

theotherjonv

That’s why they don’t flag until after the active passage of play has passed.

Proper use of VAR.

Klunk
    Free Member

So looking like frank back at chelsea till the end of the season.

binners

Brilliant! Chelsea have hit their ‘King Kenny’ moment 😂

I suppose it was inevitable. I wonder how many hundreds of millions he’ll get to spend before they sack him (again)

imnotverygood

imnotverygood
    Chelsea need to bring back Lampard……..in midfield

Todd you eejit! You only read the first part of my post 😳

theotherjonv

That was potentially a tricky away fixture, and I know WHU have contributed to their own downfall but Newcastle’s intensity with and without the ball has again impressed.

As the rain comes down – Wet Sham indeed.

ooh – that’s five!

Philby

I’d be amazed Moyes doesn’t get his P45 after this abject performance – never seen a stadium empty so quickly with over 10 minutes to play. Not good for their goal difference either, which might be a factor come the death.

dander

Get ‘Arry in!

argee

Newcastle are playing well, and full of confidence, and it’s the old players who are doing their most for this run, you have Joelinton with 2 goals and a performance tonight, Wilson with 2, Saint-Maximin in form, etc, etc.

They’ve got a good mix in there, the big new players are all doing good as well, they’re ahead of schedule for where they should be going, which is a good thing if they finish top 4, might not be so good if they miss out on a CL place though, but pretty sure we’ll find out in the summer what teams are up for the big fight next season.

johndoh
    Free Member

As a Leeds supporter, the last two nights couldn’t have gone much better. MOT.

ransos
    Free Member

That was potentially a tricky away fixture,

It really wasn’t. West Ham have been awful for over a year now.

binners

West Hams defence is a total shambles. That was an absolutely shocking performance tonight. You can’t defend like that against a side like Newcastle because they’ll murder you! Which they duly did

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

To score 5 past another premiership club with a team that consists of Murphy and Longstaff is real good going…

binners

Is Joelinton now challenging Xhaka for the ‘Unexpected Career Renaissance’ award?

They’re both well into ‘WTF?!’ territory now.

I suppose thats what happens when you’ve a decent manager who plays you where you actually want to play?

wbo
    Free Member

Why Frank at Chelsea? I really don’t get this.

He was pretty poor at Derby
    Pretty poor and tactically clueless at Chelsea 1st time
    Poor and tactically clueless at Everton

How?

binners

Because Chelsea are presently following the Man Yoo/Glazers business model (because its obviously worked so well at Old Trafford)

Clueless American Owners? Tick.
    Completely scattergun and inexplicable transfer policy, throwing money around like a pissed sailor on shore leave, without any idea of any plan or strategy? Tick.
    Manager with clearly no say in said transfers as the players are signed by the marketing department? Tick

They’ve just arrived at their Ole moment in double quick time

I’m sure it’ll all work out really well.

Lets all just sit back, enjoy the ride and try not to snigger too much. Maybe they’re gearing up for a relegation scrap as Franks got a bit of experience on that front? 😀

matt_bl
    Free Member

The club know they’re not going to win anything this year (including European football) so don’t really care and presumably Frank thinks it’s going to be the thing that turns has career around.

You could argue that not rushing into deciding who they want to give 50 million to in six months time is pretty sensible by Chelsea’s standards!

I agree with you @wbo Lampard’s been at best, bang average and he doesn’t strike me as the type to go and learn from other people. Compare and contrast with Eddie Howe

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Lampard’s track record:
    Derby – borrowed a load of Chelsea youngsters and got within 1 game of the Premiership but ultimately failed.
    Chelsea – failed. Tuchel got the same team (they had a transfer embargo didn’t they so couldn’t bring in any new players?) to the CL title a few months later.
    Everton – bang average to start off with. Somehow Richarlison and Pickford had a storming couple of months that dragged the team away from the relegation zone in the last 3 or 4 games of the season. Following season showed his true colours and failed.
    Now Chelsea want him back? Its absolutely brilliant… Looks like his first game back might be Wolves away who are dire although I don’t think new manager bounce applies to Lampard. Wolves win incoming…

PrinceJohn

Baffling decision from Chelsea – he’s just been sacked at Everton for being below average, after being sacked by Chelsea for the same.

They’re lucky they are on 39 pts otherwise I could see them going down.

Caher

Baffling is a good description for this Lampard absurdity. Frank’s not hungry enough [insert joke here] and for someone well educated, he’s tactically naïve. Just wonder if they’ll be a ‘director of football’, his boss, installed.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Very strange game last night. Moyes days must be numbered.

West Ham seem to have some very good individuals but can’t play as a team, their defence is truly woeful.

Hopefully Newcastle can carry on the same on Saturday.

Murphy and Longstaff

Both have been very good the last few weeks.

dazh

Very strange game last night.

Yup. Despite the defensive farce West Ham put up more of a fight than Man U did on Saturday. Dan Burn in particular had a bit of a mare. Joelinton however had quite the game. He’s a like a skilful Viera who can score goals.

Murphy and Longstaff

Weird comment. They’ve been quietly and consistently effective all season. Yes they’re nothing special on their own, but proof that this team is worth a lot more than the sum of its parts.

theotherjonv

IDK why I don’t notice Murphy as much (less starting XI appearances I guess) but Longstaff’s energy and importance in the press is huge, plus he seems to have a knack for getting into dangerous places. If he could finish better I suspect we wouldn’t see comments like that. Goals aside i think he is quite underrated.

I also just like having local lads in the side, so while both Burn and Longstaff might be looking over their shoulders when transfer windows open, I hope they remain with the club and with the youngsters (Gillespie, Anderson) provide that link to the city.

wbo
    Free Member

I’m not a Newcastle fan but I’m glad Joelinton is doing well. He caught a lot of rubbish for being a rubbish striker when he should never have been bought as one in the first place, and was already a very good midfielder.

I also like Fred for similar reasons – good, honest hard worker with some decent performances on the quiet.

That’s why managers pick players despite what the fans might want

theotherjonv

Has this been on here yet? Teddy Sheringham is proper funny……

Klunk
    Free Member

as opposed to trophyless ?

dazh

I also just like having local lads in the side

Yeah the toon wouldn’t be the toon without some geordies in the team. Howe seems to recognise that. I have high hopes for Anderson, he’s not had a lot of game time but has looked good when he’s got on the pitch. Longstaff is one of those players who goes unnoticed because a lot of the good stuff he does is when he doesn’t have the ball. Also a big fan of Willock. His finishing has been a bit off this season but he always finds scoring positions. I know there’ll be a couple (at least) of big buys in the summer but I’m hoping there’s a place in the squad/team for these guys next season as they deserve it.

Caher

Things now looking dire for the largest club in Berkshire. Can’t remember when we were last in the third tier.

argee

Also a big fan of Willock.

Always notice him when watching, he does a good job and works hard for the team, same as most of them these days.

Good to see Burnley back up at the first attempt tonight, honestly thought they would be near bust now and another one of those teams dropping down the leagues due to the mismanagement they suffered, but they’ve gone and done the opposite!

theotherjonv

Things now looking dire for the largest club in Berkshire.

6 games left, next 4 against top 8 sides where on current form I can’t see where the points are coming. Preston, Luton, Burnley and Coventry.

Could well be done for beforehand, conversely I can’t at the moment see how we’ll be safe before the last game – and then we have to go to Neil Warnock’s resurgent Huddersfield.

Doomed, I tell you

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Things now looking dire for the largest club in Berkshire. Can’t remember when we were last in the third tier.

as a Scunthorpe local, not that I’ve ever supported them and it’s been probably 20 years since I went to a match, seeing them slip from the Championship not 12/13 years ago, to successive relegations, from League 2, a and now almost mathematically out of the National League into the National League North, it’s sad to see how quick the demise can sometimes be

theotherjonv

there’s a few down there – Torquay, York, Oldham, Yeovil, and at the other end Notts Co, Wrexham, Chesterfield – very easy to drop out of ‘the league’ nowadays.

MSP

Good to see Burnley back up at the first attempt tonight, honestly thought they would be near bust now and another one of those teams dropping down the leagues due to the mismanagement they suffered, but they’ve gone and done the opposite!

Yeah I thought they would be slipping down the leagues and facing financial problems. I though it was a mistake from both Burnley and Kompany when he was appointed, but they have been great once he got his ideas over.

Going to be tough next year though, I think they have a fair few players on loan, so probably another rebuilding job rather than just adding a bit more quality.

binners

Yeah, great to see them back up. I was another who feared the worst for them after looking at the detail of their buyout, they seemed doomed. I thought sacking Dyche was a huge mistake and could potentially send them into freefall

I’ve got a real soft spot for Burnley. I spent a great summer working for UCFB at Turf Moor a few years back and it was such a well run club, with a fantastic atmosphere about the place. Seemed like the very last place to see a daft leveraged buyout based on dodgy numbers

Kompany has been a great appointment and they’ve been really entertaining to watch this season. Hopefully they can put the frighteners on a few big clubs next season (and they’ll stop conceding their traditional 5 goals at Citeh). Turf Moor is an intimidating place to come. It’s just one of those grounds

matt_bl
    Free Member

It’s a tough one. I was as skeptical as anyone, when some of the details of the Burnley buyout became public, complained about the sales of all of our ‘best’ players etc.

When you listen to Alan Pace speak about the club and the town, it’s difficult to see him as a mini Glazer and I do find myself warming to him.

VK on the other hand is just fantastic. I have no doubt that he will at some point go on to much bigger things than Burnley.

For next year I just hope that some of our loan players, realise that they have a good thing here in East Lancs and stick with us.

chestrockwell

Is Joelinton now challenging Xhaka for the ‘Unexpected Career Renaissance’ award?

They’re both well into ‘WTF?!’ territory now.

Junior Firpo at Leeds would like them to hold his beer!

Hilarious with Lampard, utter failure even with all the leg ups. I especially enjoy the transfer embargo narrative since they’d already agreed a £50m transfer and decent loan to buy that were still allowed to go through, without losing many players from their huge squad! Since Touchel’s Chams League victory was credited to Lampard I assume he’ll be able to repeat the achievement this season given he’s picking up at around the same spot?

For even more mega lolz I see Jessie Marsch is set for Leicester! Nice enough bloke but why anyone would look at his appalling management and tactics at Leeds and think he’s their guy is truly mind-blowing. Prepare for Penis Ball, Foxes!

Caher

Some honourable mentions there but I think for me that Lazarus of the year would go to Xhaka. Especially if they win the title.

argee

Celtic get the result today, with quite possibly the worst performance i’ve seen this year, but that’s how you win titles!

As for Lazarus of the Year, so many this year, Newcastle have Joelinton, Almiron, Rashford, Xhaka, Partey, etc, etc, it’s been a funny season, but then again, they’re all big signings or players.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.