Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 3,015 total)
  • soccerball 22/23, the WC hump season
  • bigdaddy

Boom!!! A 4th!

bigdaddy

I paid a now tv subscription for this game, best £12 I’ve spent in a while!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

#prayforbinners

bigdaddy

Five… 😁😁😁😁😁

Philby

Bring back Maguire 😂😂😂

bigdaddy

😁😁😁😁😁😁

Kamakazie

Thought we’d end up losing this, as is often the case, but not by 6+ 😳.

dazh

Ten-Hag out.

bigdaddy

Seven!! Hope binners has a very big sofa…

argee

Binners looking in on this thread?

homer-sinking

binners

Presently….

argee

Fqe-Za-Oc-Wc-AMA-Wg

Caher

Not seen it yet but not sure if LIverpool have woken up or ManU have gone Spursey.

Royston
    Free Member

@theotherjonv and Caher

you’ve both obviously seen the coming fixtures

Sheffield United, Blackburn Rovers, Millwall
    I can’t see any points coming from those games

Caher

It’s not good, could be quite a squeaky bottom time.

argee

Weird old weekend, Man City getting by with a generous penalty, Arsenal coasting to a win, ManU struggling at home and Spurs actually winning with Richarlison not on the ground for more than half of the game!

theotherjonv

I think you’ve called that right, sadly. Then Hull, Bristol, Birmingham and Preston, we need points from that run otherwise we’re going to be in the mire and bang out of form.

dander

Yeah, thought Arsenal would have a tougher game today. Clean sheet a bonus as they’ve been shipping goals lately.

Palace and Leicester, especially, are getting drawn into the relegation battle.

Casemiro maybe not getting off as lightly as he did playing in la liga for Madrid?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi all, still enjoying the view from the top of the pile! 11 games left. Speak soon!

PrinceJohn

Palace and Leicester, especially, are getting drawn into the relegation battle.

Leicester have been in trouble for a long time – I did hear a rumour that Rogers would’ve been sacked a while ago, but it would cost too much.

Caher

With Timo Werner leading the line for Leipzig put your money on the goalie to score first.

Klunk
    Free Member

remember someone cracking that joke about Havertz in the final. 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

Blown away! you’ve been shreked

ElShalimo

I’m still not sure that Haaland will adapt to life at Citeh

🙃

argee

Hooked after an hour, must have had a crap game 🤣

Caher

Just popped in to say Arsenal are out.

dander

Good game that – superb strike for the Sporting goal. Maybe better for their league hopes they’re out? Fewer games/injuries/fatigue?

binners

I shouldn’t imagine they’re too fussed. Bigger fish to fry which they can now concentrate on fully

Caher

As above if you missed it the Sporting goal had shades of the time Nayim lobbed Seamen.

theotherjonv

Of course you want to win every trophy you can, even just Big Vase, but I too think that hots the league up again, with that distraction removed. At the same time, I wonder if City and the pursuit of Big Cup creates an issue – Robostriker looks unstoppable and indestructable but as the games start to come thick and fast in this compressed last bit of the season might they be tempted to rest him against easier teams and slip up somewhere.

As for the goal – wonderful strike. Better than Nayim lobbing Seaman for me, or when he got done for England vs Brazil, don’t remember who – this one reminded me of Beckham against Sullivan for Wimbledon. Flat, fast, even a keeper of Ramsdale’s agility couldn’t get back. Seamo was a great gk but his footwork was leaden for both the ones he conceded and should really have saved IMHO – certainly the Brazil one.

It makes me wonder with the balls they have now (both senses, maybe) why they don’t try it more often. The new balls fly faster, truer, even compared to 15 years ago. And with so many sweeper keepers out on the edge of their box behind a high line defence I reckon there’s a lob on more often than you might think. Even if unsuccessful (and it still requires great technique) if it makes the keeper think about the prospect and just be 3 yards further back in their starting position, it reduces the effectiveness of their sweeping up. It’s a fine margin game after all.

MSP

they be tempted to rest him against easier teams and slip up somewhere.+

I think that the preferred method for resting Harland is to just get the game won and take him off after 60 mins. Alverez isn’t exactly a poor stand in, although a very different player.

For the gooners the worry might be the defensive injuries picked up last night. the bbc report didn’t mention how serious or not they were.

theotherjonv

I think that the preferred method for resting Harland is to just get the game won and take him off after 60 mins.

City need to lobby for boxing rules, the ref could have stopped that after 60 mins to avoid further punishment!

Alverez isn’t exactly a poor stand in, although a very different player.

Different? To Haaland? How so? 😉  (joke, Haaland is clearly genetically modified / lab built, sent back from the 25th century to steal your goalscoring records. Some of the early season David Squires cartoons are fab on this. Albeit, scarily true.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2022/aug/09/david-squires-on-the-opening-weekend-of-the-premier-league-season

MSP

Palace have sacked Viera, looked to be going so well last year, slipped back a bit this year and on a pretty poor run, but still where you would expect them to be in the table.

MoreCashThanDash

Palace have sacked Viera

Seems harsh to me,but I guess the desperation to stay up this year outweighs the longer term plan.

theotherjonv

5 draws and 6 losses in 2023, no shot on target in the three games previous to last night, xG’s consistently below 0.5 – says to me something’s wrong in the style or intensity of play, and 5/33 points and being only 3 points above relegation means something needs to change before time runs out.

Longer term plan is compromised if they don’t stay up, rebounding is a huge gamble. Of the three relegated teams last year, Burnley are all but up, Watford, Norwich, and West Brom from year before – not so much.

Cletus

Talking of lobs check this out from Cheltenham Town’s Alfie May

https://youtu.be/IWlBlmzq2Hs

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Viera thing is weird but then he insists (like other Palace managers before him) insist on playing Jordan Ayew. Ayew must have something scandalous on Steve Parish – its the only reason I can think he’s been a regular premiership player for so long.

dander

Tough on Vieria but they seem to have regressed recently after a decent previous season. Apparently in their last ten games they play all the bottom eight. That’s a lot of ‘6 pointers!’ 😀

binners

Looks like it’s going to be quite a relegation scrap this season. It’s really tight at the bottom. There are a good few sides potentially dragged into it

I’d like to see Palace go down purely on account of Zaha and his diving and winding up antics

MSP

Apparently in their last ten games they play all the bottom eight

That suggests that their recent poor run has been against the top teams, perhaps if they had been a bit more dispersed it might have looked better.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,081 through 2,120 (of 3,015 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.