Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Small camper vans e.g Doblo, Kangoo etc
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

Hello

I’m thinking of dabbling in motorhomes and looking at around £5k.

It’d be mainly just me sleeping in it and for weekend trips and the odd week in the UK.

I like the look of Doblos and Kangoos after some early searching. Has anyone any experience of these in their motorhome guise?

Things like Mazda Bongos pop up too in search results. Am I discounting these and others too soon? Would the likes of Doblos be too ‘intimate in comparison?’

Thanks

BillOddie

How plush do you want it to be?

You could go the self build route?

croe
    Free Member

The previous style berlingo had fold flat front passenger seat which means you can build a bunk in the back and use the front seat as a bed extension. Build the bunk with storage underneath for your cooking gear and other bits and bobs. A bike will then fit inside along the length behind the drivers seat. If it’s the van version I think the fold flat front seats were an option, if the car version then they should be there and you can remove the rear seats easy. Make up some siver foil bubble wrap blinds with magnets or suckers and off you go.

towzer

FYI http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk

The nu venture (berlingo) ones work well (for size) see also romahome

kayla1
    Free Member

Having tried a Doblo and now on a Galaxy, I’d go with a Galaxy or similarly shaped 7 seater over a Doblo. They’re just that smidge longer in the back which is useful- bike in without taking the wheels out, long enough to lie down in- and no more expensive to insure (in our experience).

matt_outandabout

My dad is selling a Suzuki Wagon R camper.
    Good condition, one bed, kitchen, fully kitted up. £3k.

duncancallum

Amdro in a partner is bazs weapon of choice

It’s a proper good weekend tool

IHN

Yep, I was going to say Amdro Boot Jump

mrsheen
    Free Member

Thanks all. Some interesting and useful advice.

Those boot jump units – are they for self build only?

amplebrew

My wife has a Campal fitted to her Caddy and it’s perfect for days out or a few days away.

It comes ready made and just slides in the back. Easily removed, but it needs two people to lift it.

I’m sure the Amdro also comes ready made and just slides in the same.

IHN

Yep, Amdro units just go on the boot of a standard Berlingo/ Caddy etc.

Iwan at Amdro is a really helpful fella, he’ll answer any questions you have

nealc
    Free Member

Ive always thought that small vans are just too small to fit any camper kit in without making the van bot much use for anything else, i.e. fitting bikes in. We’ve had a caddy and just put mattresses in the back which fold up to the side.

.. incidentally my Caddy Maxi Life is now for sale .. https://singletrackworld.com/classifieds/advert/vw-caddy-maxi-life/

BoardinBob

4+ years with mine(doblo). A day van style setup and it’s been great. A couple of minor electrical niggles that I’ve solved but otherwise it’s been a great van. Multiple trips to the alps etc and it’s been a great wee van

https://www.fiatforum.com/doblo/430516-my-doblo-day-van-conversion.html

mrsheen
    Free Member

Is not having a fridge a big deal? I’ve seen most listed without but was thinking I’ve been camping and didn’t really suffer. Plug in cooler box maybe?

trail_rat
    Free Member

in a van that size not having a fridge is the least of your worries.

i wouldnt bother with a plug in cool box , all that will achieve is a flat battery.

Solar panels and a waeco compressor coolbox would be a movable viable option but youll pay as much for that set up as the van. – just use UHT milk for your tea.

ITs not like you’ll be cooking too much in a doblo camper. Think of it more as a mobile bed.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Check out pamthevan on YouTube. The early vids cover the build.

dirkpitt74

Hadn’t seen those before.
    MIL has a 2007 Kangoo that she’s thinking of getting rid of at some point- I might have to take it off her hands at the appropriate time.
    Make a good overnight van.

simon_g

Amdro do a “solo” boot jump now that lets you keep a bike alongside – perfect off-the-shelf, easy to fit and remove solution for one person in a Berlingo/Partner. Not cheap but seems well made and includes cooker, sink, Fiamma table hardware, etc.

If you’re looking at imports, the older Honda Stepwagons (boxier shape – RF) have seats that all fold flat into a bed – demonstrated in this video. Can import or buy one here within budget.

fourfivesixfiftyb
    Free Member

this is what you want – all the quality and convenience of AMDRO but cheaper 🙂

http://peakvanconversions.weebly.com/

iain1775
    Free Member

don’t dismiss a Bngo/Ford Frieda
    £5k will get you a fairly decent unconverted one or a reasonable converted example
    We have had ours about 3 months now and love it

woffle
    Free Member

don’t dismiss a Bngo/Ford Frieda
    £5k will get you a fairly decent unconverted one or a reasonable converted example
    We have had ours about 3 months now and love it

Hmmm.. 5K might get you one but there will be a lot of sheds before you find a decent example. Some of the conversions are horrendous and a lot will need welding / be rather crispy underneath now due to a good few years on the UK roads. I’d try and find an unmolested, unconverted V6 and then get the Mazda made (and removable) kitchen and have a professional install of leisure battery and hook-up.

We loved ours – had it for 8 years – only really worked for us as a camper with a massive awning tent (family of four) but it was a fantastic day-trip van. With 6 seats it was really practical.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Small camper vans e.g Doblo, Kangoo etc’ is closed to new replies.