Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Singletrack Mag Font size struggling to read!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Mag just dropped through the door and a quick flick through and I,m struggling with the font size, seems to be plenty of room on the pages to knock it up a tad.
    With the general readership probably being of the more mature age might be an idea to knock it up a bit………..please
    Might be forced to go buy some reading glasses 🙁
    Anyone else struggling?

Rich

cinnamon_girl

Yes even though I use reading glasses.

Houns

Mine has just dropped through too (and dinged the corner 😡 ) I didn’t notice any problem initially with font size, but now you’ve pointed it out I’ve looked again and yes, I am having to focus hard on it

cinnamon_girl

To be fair, the typeface can make a huge difference.

singletrackjenn
    Free Member

Interesting. We’re investigating (and doing a lot of squinting, so sharing your pain 😉 ) – but unfortunately I can’t give you a definitive answer until the art ed. is back from her hols next week…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks Jenn. Also find it extremely difficult if page colour is black with a white typeface.

dazh

Another one here who has trouble with the font size, although to be fair I’ve been told by the optician that I need glasses and I’m still in denial.

Cougar

In the meantime, the magazine has an undocumented “zoom” feature which is gesture-activated. In order to increase the font size, whilst holding the magazine in both hands simply move your hands slowly towards your face until the desired font size is achieved.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve now realised why I only ever look at the pictures.

phiiiiil

<Red Dwarf mode ON> What about other visual effects – slo-mo, split screen, quantel?

phiiiiil

I must confess I was struggling to read that monospaced font article from a couple of issues back until I realised I could just read the ebook version as normal…

CaptainCrash
    Free Member

ditto….

shinsplints

To be fair Postie you are a boss eyed old C*** ay ya 🙂

wwaswas

To be fair Postie you are a boss eyed old C*** ay ya

I expect it smarts a bit if he laughs at the moment.

Still no danger of that happening reading posts on stw 😉

shinsplints

LOL. He won’t mind, he’s ripped it out of me enough over the past few years.
    ***hugs postie**** 🙂

Sandwich

Zoom function doesn’t work on longsighted older readers Cougar, the text gets more blurry. My arms are about 150mm (roughly 6″ in old money) too short to achieve focus.

highlandman
    Free Member

I’m another, trying hard not to have to give in to the evil of a second set of glasses for reading.

cinnamon_girl

Oh and whilst we’re at it (or rather I am) can we have a more modern typeface? I have a real problem with old-fashioned g’s. 😀

Sorry, I know I’m a pita. 😳

postierich
    Free Member

Glad I am not the only one struggling 🙂

ShinnySplints nice to hear from you I thought my one good eye was a good eye, obviously not 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

ST is the only magazine I struggle to read. I don’t know if it’s the size or type of font that’s the problem, but I don’t struggle with any other magazines or books.

postierich
    Free Member

Must hinder people flcking through on the shelves of WHS or maybe that what they want.

wwaswas

ST is the only magazine I struggle to read.

Get hold of a copy of Drit.

You’ll never complain about ST again.

thepurist

And this years calendar is an OUTRAGE… where is the picture I can be OFFENDED by? It is UNREASONABLE of them to produce something with such DISSAPOINTINGLY modest photography. Now, where’s my green ink?

maxlite
    Free Member

Style over legibility….same with Cyclist

Lovely magazines but most designers need to go back to hard copy and paste!

JoeG
    Free Member

Coming soon…Singletrack LARGE PRINT EDITION. 😀

milkyman
    Free Member

I’m struggling to come to terms with the £5.95 price, that made my eyes water

JoeG
    Free Member

milkyman – Member

I’m struggling to come to terms with the £5.95 price, that made my eyes water

I’ll bet that they use a smaller font for this next time! 😀

postierich
    Free Member

See what you mean about the poor photos on the calendar, and cx bike review!!!! deary me 😉

wwaswas

Coming soon…Singletrack LARGE PRINT EDITION

It’s the demographic.

As predicted by JoB sometime ago they’ll be reviewing full suspension Zimmer frames before long 😉

Northwind

Have you hired Dirt’s designer? Eagerly awaiting the first dark blue ink on purple background.

rewski
    Free Member

MIne literally falling through the letterbox, right lets see what all fuss is about.

pictonroad

Well, I have the latest copy next to me, the font is as per normal no?

I’ve just flicked through it, there’s one page of black on light grey, and another black on brown, every other page is black text on a white background.

It’s the most legible mag out there..

rewski
    Free Member

Looks fine to me*, bigger type means less words and we don’t want that. Maybe your white out spreads are slightly out of register.

*I’m a graphic designer and I set type small and mostly in grey.

goslow

I put my reading glasses on (which I rarely use) and still struggled with some of it.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Coming soon…Singletrack LARGE PRINT EDITION.

ePub and Kindle formats are available form the MagArchive. Both support text resizing, font choice, hight contrast etc. My Kindle will even read them to me. Not discounting complaints about the print size, just letting you know alternatives are available.

highlandman
    Free Member

“ePub and Kindle formats are available form the MagArchive. Both support text resizing, font choice, hight contrast etc. My Kindle will even read them to me. Not discounting complaints about the print size, just letting you know alternatives are available. “

A couple of things come to mind. Not everyone can afford or justify the extra cost of these things.
    Nor is the tablet a good substitute for a decent paper magazine, sometimes there’s more to it than just the written words in isolation. The layout and the pictures help create the world that the writer is presenting.

ampthill

I might try it on Kindle. How does one find it, I’m a subscriber

I’m of the age where my near sight is going but it does seem to me that the mag is now much less legible, with no benefit to me

Weird font in 69 is no different in size but less legible. i think the paper was whiter

Mark

We’ve gone back and compared this issue to previous issues going back 2 years. The font is the same and the size is the same. We can see no difference at all. This issue was printed sheet fed rather than web offset. The only difference that should make is an improvement in print quality, not a reduction.
    We have noted some article standfirsts that are printed white on a pale or ‘busy’ background and are hard to read, but the text is the same as it has always been.

Ampthill, the kindle issues are available in the mag archive. Just go to the issue you want and click the ‘Kindle’ button. This will start a file download to your computer. You then transfer the file to your device using either the usb cable and copying the file into the ‘documents’ folder on your Kindle or by attaching the file to an email and sending it to your device via your kindle email address. It’s much more straightforward if you use your kindle to browse to the magarchive and activate the download as it will put itself in the right place on your device.

T666DOM

Ironically the better quality paper/printing may be the culprit. Bit more glare from the surface reducing the contrast slightly for the more mature STW reader.

Alternatively make sure your spex are up to date and clean! !!

tomaso
    Free Member

The type is smaller than any other mag I read, but the line spacing seems wider. The font is Clea enough it just needs to jump up a size or two and drop the line spacing a bit 🙂

Just read the Kirkby Lonsdale Brewery article and I’m looking forward to the Xmas do the group I night ride with are doing to the Orange Tree in Kirkby 🙂

I could murder a pint of Jubilee….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Mag Font size struggling to read!’ is closed to new replies.