Home Forums Bike Forum Singlespeed tight spots in the chain tension

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Singlespeed tight spots in the chain tension
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

This discussion really isn’t relevant to the thread. And history has taight us that no agreement will be reached can we just can it and get on with talking bikes?

Sefton i use imgur you once youbhave uploaded it right click on the picture and open picture in new tab. That should give you a url that ends in .jpg copy that.

In the text box editing bar click img and paste the url

kerley
    Free Member

I was told by the esteemed owner of my LBS that track specific rings are rounder than normal ones.

He was lying. I have a garage full of track specific chain rings and they all have the same issue, even after spending a fair while pissing about with very slightly loose chairing and nudging it a bit when on tight spot to then create another tight spot further round.

I am talking about a mm or two here though.

whatgoesup

track specific rings are rounder than normal ones.

Interesting – I’d never considered this before, but now I think about it I’ve never had this issue on my track bike- I’ve got three different rings from two different manufacturers.

On the SS MTB this has been an issue with both “normal” and “SS specific rings.

Not that track rings would be any use on an MTB – far too large. Probably too large for street use too I’d imagine.

The track rings are much better made visually so there might be something in that. I’ll take a closer look…

sefton
    Free Member

sefton
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

Don’t worry noone gets it right first time!

You probably don’t have the url ending in .jpeg yet.

john_l
    Free Member

I’m on tenterhooks!

sefton
    Free Member

I’m on a mobile so can’t right click

molgrips
    Free Member

He was lying.

Mate, part of why you get dragged on here is comments like that. The chap in question is a good bloke and has vast and detailed knowledge of all forms of cycling. You could easily have posted the same content in your post without coming across such a dick.

kerley
    Free Member

I still think the chain may be having a part in it?

If each link has even a small amount of play in it and each link has a different amount of play is different then the tension will change as the chain moves around. The tolerances of what is a very cheap item (for what it is) wasn’t be to the 0.001mm will they. This may be made worse as the chain wears.

And not sure why track chainrings would need to be more perfect as it is accepted that chain tension on tracks bikes is on the loose side already. I know I obsess way too much about it as there isn’t much else to obsess about on my bike (I won’t say what it is!)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a cinelli mash isn’t it kerley?

Sefton just long press the photo?

TiRed

He was lying.

He was mistaken. Unless he’s in Manchester and works at the velodrome. GB Cycling rings will be specially machined to higher tolerances. But off the peg rings are all out by about the same amount and it’s really not much. There is always a tight spot. You can remove it by loosening the bolts and retightening. It’s a pain. Thirty years of tandem chain and fixed riding and I don’t bother any more. I have shipped a chain riding down a hill on a fixed wheel only once in tens of thousands of miles. It’s not an issue.

sefton
    Free Member

kerley
    Free Member

Mate, part of why you get dragged on here is comments like that.

?. Man in bike shop states that track chainrings are rounder. That is simply not the case so he is lying. What is wrong with me making that statement exactly?

I could have used mistaken but there you go, try not to be so sensitive about stuff. It is only people talking shit on a bike forum about chain rings. None of it really matters…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Looks fun Sefton. I’d be backing the tension off though or you’re just wearing your chain prematurely.

sefton
    Free Member

Thats at its tightest spot! Haha

ajantom

Is it tensioned with an EBB?

isoo
    Free Member

About track chainrings being rounder, I’ve heard it being said that the more expensive NJS-stamped rings from Japanese manufacturers are hand picked to a tighter spec than their “normal” ones. I have no validation for the claim, but it might account for the view that track rings are rounder.

sefton
    Free Member

Yep, wheels manufacturing pf30 one.

kerley
    Free Member

Its a cinelli mash isn’t it kerley?

Nope, I am currently riding an old style steel frame with threaded headset, quill stem, square taper cranks etc,. as in a bit of a retro phase. Heaviest bike I have had for a while but really enjoying it.

When I said I wouldn’t mention what type of bike I ride I was referring to the B word!

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed tight spots in the chain tension’ is closed to new replies.