Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • jameso

I would have thought the point of getting all those templates would be so they could test the feasibility of producing some ‘standard’ size frame bags?

Good point, the Alpkit bag that Paul E used in the Arrowhead 135 on an iO went on my Jones (just) for a while, and is now on a friends 19″ P7 – so it’s possible with a minor compromise on fit.

vorlich
    Free Member

NCB – I really like your handlebar solution. Will have a think about doing something similar on my Mary bars.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Thanks for the positive coments re bar ends etc. I bought my dry bags from sports diect / field & trek. They do loads of sizes and are colour coded I think the green one on my bars is 25 L the small one for sleeping bag 15 L I think . There between £3.50 / £4.50 depending on size.

Stove windshields I would use say 0.6mm ally anything thinner will become pretty buckled pretty quick. Mine is from a piece of ti sheet.

D45 yeah was ready to roll wnt to try it out. Re thread above I can see the point of a tarp reducing wind chill factor, still not sure if I should get something like a small (expensive) terra nova tent as it comes in lighter than a bivvi bag + tarp etc. Would like to stick to low budget approach :D

stayhigh

I was planning on heading to SD later to have a look at there bags so thats all good.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for titanium sheet please?

Agree with keeping a low cost approach but those Terra Nova tents do look nice…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

stayhigh a piece of thin alloy is probably easier to shape than ti. I had roll the ti through a set of sheet metal rollers to get it into the curve. The thin alloy you could form around anything tubular.
    Aloy is lighter too!

faz083
    Free Member

@jameso, can you share some pics here? All I’ve seen are a few marketing pics from alpkit, would be nice to see the real deal.

Thanks!

stayhigh

How about these two bags

X-treme Lite 800 2 season, comfort -.9 to 5.8 degrees, 800grams, pack size 36 x 15cm.

and

X-treme Lite 1000 2/3 season, comfort -1.8 to 3.5degrees, 1kg, pack size 36 x 17cm.

Both are synthetic and under £50.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I have a Gelert 800 and 1200 (both of them weigh a bit more than they are supposed to)

I got really cold in the 800 when the temp dipped to -1 ish in May and I was wearing quite a few thin layers and a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket too. The 1200 I have slept in similar conditions and been fine, though obviously it’s bigger and heavier.

The 800 will cram into an 8l alpkit airlok drybag, the 1200 into a 13l

I’d like a synthetic bag the size and weight of the 800 with the warmth of the 1200 but I am not really sure such a thing exists at any price

stayhigh

Hmmm worth a look too then as not that much difference in pack size or weight just a tenner in the price.

Choices choices lol

cat69uk
    Free Member

My favourite post of all time, inspired at last to get out. Quick question, where do you source the webbing/straps/buckles etc.. to lash stuff to the bike?

Marko

Here:

http://www.profabrics.co.uk/

And here:

http://www.pennineoutdoor.co.uk/

I’m sure there are more.

Marko

AlexSimon

My favourite post of all time, inspired at last to get out. Quick question, where do you source the webbing/straps/buckles etc.. to lash stuff to the bike?

I used Ebay, but Halfords have a quite a few bits and bobs (as would any decent motor spares shop).
    Sometimes there’s a stand in outdoors shops with all sorts of bits and bobs too.

Edit: My local shop in Macclesfield has a stand full of (slightly overpriced) dry bags and these accessories:
    http://www.podsacs.com/accessories_beltsbuckles.html

vorlich
    Free Member

ebay +1 dirt cheap. webbing and 10 [more than needed] ladder locks for my handlebar harness was about £3.50

ElShalimo

jameso – Member
    if you’re after any details pics of the bag etc let me know.

jameso – can you post some photos please?
    ton – how much were they at the event? Any ideas on the price once they are start production?

jameso

re my Alpkit bag – just seen more pics of the bags on their site and mine’s a thin cordura material rather than the VX42-type of the red bags on their site – the newer versions look better! So I’ll not post mine as a distraction – all I can say is that they got the sizing etc spot on from my template and the new bags look even better.

The bike with Alpkit bag on is pictured earlier in the thread, a black steel Jones.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi cat69 got the large webbing straps on my bars from local Wilkos shop. The are sold as luggage starps to put around your suitcase to stop it bursting open on your holiday from the costas!
    Were about £2 each

Kevsterjw
    Free Member

Been lurking on this thread fir ages love it!

I got some straps off ebay for about £3 with those spring crocodile clip catches. They were on there as canoe tie down straps.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve got Friday pencilled in as my first ever bivvy ride. Really looking forward to it; I’m convinced that I’ll either be hooked or put off completely :)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

NCB, those are big straps! 25mm webbing is plenty strong enough

hilldodger
    Free Member

If you’re looking for drybags, Lomo Watersports do a wide range found this one particularly suitable for bar bag
    http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/dry-bags-uk-info_354.html

AlexSimon

miketually – hope the weather gods smile on you! (you’ll be hooked btw).

My first night out I was eaten alive by midges for 2 hours prior to them giving up at 11:30. Complete misery, but it was still amazing!

vorlich
    Free Member

OK, whilst we’re on the subject of drybags, has anyone seen any with attachment points like the Alpkit Xtras?

I really want a 13l one, but Alpkit have no stock.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

page 39 someone mentions Sea To Summit bags have loops

vorlich
    Free Member

Ah, nice one, was sure I’d looked at their site, but must’ve missed them. Cheers!

JRTG
    Free Member

Just won this on eBay, I expect it to be rubbish but then you never know! Anyone have one?

Clicky

miketually
    Free Member

AlexSimon – Member
    miketually – hope the weather gods smile on you! (you’ll be hooked btw).

Woke up with the sun at 4, so I’m home already.

Loved it :)

miketually
    Free Member

I did a little write-up of my first bivvy ride, with some kit notes at the bottom: Newsham Moor bivvy ride.

AlexSimon

Nice one Mike. If you had rain and still enjoyed it, then you’re definitely hooked! :-)

faz083
    Free Member

So.

Alpkit frame bags? Got the email today, visited site, and, surprise surprise….. sold out. Bit of a bugger.
    Anyone order one?

spacecadett
    Free Member

I managed to order one on Monday night. I posted a PSA about their availability but they all went fairly quickly.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-alpkit-framebags

taffer
    Free Member

Great and inspiring post, glad to see it keeps growing ! Since my last visit I already have a DIY frame bag done, handlebar harness waiting the last sewings and, well and many ideas for a seat bag on my head, even though that one is the most tricky of them all to get nailed down.

Keep’em coming !

faz083
    Free Member

Hey, there was another forum dedicated to bikepacking that I looked at last year, relatively small but the founder made his own tarps and gear – does anyone know the site I mean?

The guy might even be registered here.

stevemorg2
    faz083
    Free Member

That’s the one, thanks a lot!

Chew
    Free Member
    Miki
    Free Member

Two weeks and Two wheels in Scotland

http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1026
    Looks like a great trip. Where’d you get all that blue sky from?
    A few photos from a rather unadventurous trip just down the road to my local shoreline. Got a good night for it though and was my first “trip” of the summer.

flyingmm

@chew, Lovely pics and write up – thanks for the inspiration

imnotamused
    Free Member

Chew that trip is incredible! Nice one

faz083
    Free Member
    Tiger6791

Too fousand too hundred!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.