Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • nikk
    Free Member

Did a wee write up on my Fidra Overnight bikepack / packraft trip. Some excerpts:

The weather has been very warm here for this time of year, feels like summer. Inspired by this, I decided to do a trip I had fancied doing for a while, This involves cycling from Edinburgh to Yellowcraigs beach near Dirlton, then paddling across to Fidra Island, spending the night there, then going home.

It was reasonably windy (about 12mph), and although the incoming swell was zero, the wind was blowing right down the Forth and out to sea, and picking up some chop in doing do. He had said it was quite rough, but looked calmer now. The island isn’t far off the shore (about 600m depending on tide) so I decided to go have a look in any case. I unpacked and inflated the boat.

the gulls gave me a noisy welcome!

The wind had picked up more, bending the end of the tent toward my face. Sitting here in the dark night, I felt I had really committed myself by sleeping on the island. What if it is really windy tomorrow? I couldn’t shake the gnawing worry of having to take my boat out on rough, open water. I knew it was going to be windy, but perhaps hadn’t quite appreciated the reality!

I drive the boat onto the sand, and jump out. It feels great to have my feet on sand! I drag the boat out and drink in the sense of relief and happiness to be back! I look up, and am greeted by the rising sun. Suddenly, it is all worthwhile.

http://niksbikingblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/fidra-overnight-bikepack-packraft-trip.html

druidh
    Free Member

nikk – read that last night. Brilliant. I recognised some of those feelings – about being alone on the island. The isolation wouldn’t worry me but the chance of getting stuck there would.

What do you think of the tent? I’m on the lookout for something other than the Macpac Microlight I’m currently using.

pease
    Free Member

nikk.. your pictures are amazing!!! damn i love the outdoors and your pics make me want the weekend to be here again :)

nikk
    Free Member

Thanks pease!

druidh – I love the Tarptent, it seems really well designed and made. Putting it up feels like cheating it is so easy, it is at the most 5 minutes at a very leisurely pace. With practice and pace, it could easily be put up in 2 minutes. I’m happy I went for the Scarp, it is a 4 season tent so no problem for 3 season Scottish camping. It is roomy, I love the pitchlok corners, such a great design with carbon rods integrated into the tent meaning room is maximised and you keep your face of off the tent wall.

MSP

I have a tarptent as well. If I am in a nitpicking mood, the carbon corner poles means it doesn’t pack as small as I would like, and the groundsheet is a bit slippery, combined with my neoair and equally slippery sleeping bag it get a bit irritating. But it is definitely light and roomy.

jameso

Nikk, great photos, fantastic trip too

nikk
    Free Member

Thanks jameso!

MSP – Did you seal the seams of your tent with diluted silicone? The recommended action is to dab spots of silicone on the floor of the tent at the same time as you do that – silicone diluted in white spirit AFAICR. I did this with a wee bit of square sponge, maybe 2″, and it stops the sleeping mat sliding about, making the whole thing much more controllable. Without it, it is like a skating rink, I agree!

http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpextras.html

nikk
    Free Member

By the way, I can’t believe the weather now! You can see the pics from last week, it was t-shirt and shorts weather. Now it has been snowing today, about 4 degrees, there is apparently an 8 foot swell in the Forth, and winds at 40mph gusts. Glad I ain’t on the island now!

MSP

I hadn~t seen that advice about silicon on the groundsheet. I had been thinking of painting silicon squiggles on the base of the neoair, I guess it would be better on the groundsheet

nickswolves
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these Pocket Stoves? Looks a nice bit of kit. It’s between this and White Box Stove but like idea of being able to make a small fire with Pocket Stove http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product571.asp?PageID=118

Was looking at the Honey Stove (anyone got one for sale contact details in profile)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Anyone tried one of these Pocket Stoves?

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/

Scroll down a little bit :wink:

nickswolves
    Free Member

Maybe a bit too small, think I prefer look of Honey Stove which might even cook a burger or couple of sausages over it :)

MSP

Anyone got one of the wildcat frame bags?

I would like to see some pics of how the divider attaches, and what the optional map pocket is like.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

MSP … someone will have some pictures over here >>> http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

valleydaddy
    Free Member

why not just email Wildcat, Beth and Ian are very friendly and will assist you fully in designing your perfect bag I am sure :D

slugwash
    Free Member

Here maybe?…..

Wildcat Gear’s Flickr Site[/url]

Rik
    Free Member

Any hammock users on here???

Never used on before……but

I’m thinking about trying out a Hennessy Ultralight Hammock but being exactly 6 foot I’m not sure whether to go for the normal backpacker (rated up to 6 foot) model or the longer explorer version (rated over 6 foot).

Will there be a difference in a comfy nights sleep given my height (I’m only light 165lb so well under the weight limit for both).

As the explorer is both quite a bit heavier and more importantly quite a bit more expensive….

Tiger6791

You need the Flatfish one, seems to be king of the swingers.

I’ll alert him to your question.

summittoppler
    Free Member

Went out last Sunday/Monday on a quiet loop near Beddgelert, North Wales.

And a bit of a GoPro film of the ride

flatfish
    Free Member

Six foot is the absolute limit really if you want to be comfy.
    I’ve had a go in my mates explorer and it’s palatial on the size front where as my regular exped asym is just big enough.
    I’m 6′ tall too.
    If I was getting another HH I’d go for the bigger one.

headfirst
    Free Member

I usually ignore groupon emails, but these caught my eye as potential meths containers, what do you think?

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/aquaskin/4909923?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_107&a=1664

nick3216
    Free Member

[/url]
    Buachille Etive Mor[/url] by nick3216[/url], on Flickr

Revelate Viscacha and bar mounted carrier loaded for 8 day trip. North Face bum bag clips to the Revelate bar mounted carrier for ease of access to everyday stuff.

For longer trips I’d like a frame bag to carry heavy calorific food items (cheese, chorizo etc) within the main triangle. Obviously it’d have to be custom to fit under curvy top tube.

vorlich
    Free Member

Like the OP, I’m currently ill and have just skimmed all 59 pages. I’m dreaming of a return to the Cairngorms soonish. I was up in November for an easy intro to bikepacking around Rothiemurchus, which I wrote up at http://mcalisterium.wordpress.com/2011/11/07/north-miss-teschmacher/

Or if you CBA reading, the video [slideshow/timelapse] sums it up:

I’ve replaced my Akto with an MLD Trailstar, so I’m just trying to figure out if/how I can pitch it without walking poles.

jameso

[/url]

Steel Jones at the far end of the Ridgeway on sat. Grade-A 10/10 perfect bikepacker bike imo .. I love it. Rides so well loaded, the geo ‘almost’ works better loaded than unloaded, playful to ride even with full kit on. But hopping roots and coming up short on a 45lb bike = rim dings )

Anyway, last weekend’s ride was a minor fail, rode the Ridgeway from the Chilterns to the other end then onto Swindon for a takeaway and a train to the Cotswolds. That bit was good. Intended on riding back somehow but it’s a long ride on a loaded bike, I was tired and a few beers on arrival sealed it ) got a train home via a return ticket so I can ride the other way in a few weeks. The Ridgeway’s a nice ride, headwinds and rain in places, sunshine and fast dirt roads in others, a wrong turn, some deep mud (and some nice cheeky trails..)

singlecrack
    Free Member

Anyone been out recently ….?

I’ve collected some more gear and I’m itching to get out but not had time yet .
    I need some more inspiration and a shove …….

composite
    Free Member

Had trips planned for June to start getting into bikepacking but unfortunately I broke my arm last night out riding so I’ll be off the bike for 6 weeks at least. Fate clearly knew that I had a shed load of new kit I was waiting to try out. :(

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Anyone been out recently ….?

I’ve collected some more gear and I’m itching to get out but not had time yet .
    I need some more inspiration and a shove …….

You may find some inspiration over here – http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

Chew
    Free Member

Bank Holiday in the Peaks

[/url]
    Stanage Edge[/url] by matthew.cockerham[/url]

Witha bit of Bivi fun

[/url]
    Wake Up[/url] by matthew.cockerham[/url]

AndyPaice
    Free Member

“nickswolves – Member

Anyone tried one of these Pocket Stoves? Looks a nice bit of kit. It’s between this and White Box Stove but like idea of being able to make a small fire with Pocket Stove http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product571.asp?PageID=118

Was looking at the Honey Stove (anyone got one for sale contact details in profile) “

I bought a steel pocket stove recently. First impressions after a couple of uses are that if you rest a pot (I used an Alpkit myti mug) on the top of it it will burn slowly and not boil water very well. If you can use a pot standand keep the mug/pot a couple of cm above the stove then it works a LOT better.I was struggling to boil a full myti mug of water after 15min with the mug sat ontop of the stove (using bone dry wood split to pencil size), whereas keeping the pot 2-3 cm above the stove and using slightly damp wood boiled a full mug of water in 8-9 min.

Also used it with an army style crusader pot (one the water bottle fits in) and got similar results, and used it to cookwith an army style rectangular mess tin with good results (honey mustard and pork sausages, mushrooms and baked beans :-D). The thing that impressed me about the stove was that the wood burned away completely, no ash or residue at all. I think it is a good all rounder, being able to boil water/cook just with twigs or split wood is useful. A gas stove undoubtably faster though.

vorlich
    Free Member

Some pics from my Abernethy loop last week. It turned out nice!

Could easily have ridden the route in day, but where’s the fun in that?

Tiger6791

Love the last photo

d45yth
    Free Member

Great pics Vorlich!

ojom
    Free Member

How did the cage work out for you? Mine get the 1st trip this weekend on the forks.

jamest
    Free Member

I have just bought myself a pocket stove, yet to fire it up, but have used a bush cooker quite a bit and really like the wood fuel option, the pocket stove just seems smaller and lighter, look fwd to getting it lit.

u02sgb
    Free Member

Nice pics Vorlich – what you using for the center pole in your Trailstar?

u02sgb
    Free Member

Aha – just read your Blog. Walking pole same as me. I’ve been looking to get a replacement pole that’s lighter or better to pack than the walking pole.

Anyone any ideas?

vorlich
    Free Member

@TBC it was great, if you look closely you can see I squeezed a walking pole in there too. Once my scandal is built for bikepacking purposes, I’ll be transferring it to that and fork mounting once I get a framebag.

The pole is only around 160g, I’d probably struggle to find a lighter solution, but I did look at basha poles on ebay. Still on the lookout for something better though…

ojom
    Free Member

Ace.

I got some neat bags from Pacific Outdoor the other day that fit a treat – also, used with some flat bungees they are very secure.

See:

Moved one of the cages off (brake side) and used the bag on the bars instead. The driveside cage remains and the modified dry bag with safety bungee will be used for tent poles for support and also the sleeping bag. The tent fits in the PO bag really well.

The mount i was telling you about for the dry bag is working well but i went belt, braces and bungees on it anyway. Will find out if it all works after the weekend!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aha – just read your Blog. Walking pole same as me. I’ve been looking to get a replacement pole that’s lighter or better to pack than the walking pole.

Anyone any ideas?
    http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.