Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • IanB
    Free Member

Turned my attention to map holders this morning. Previously, I’ve made several out of perspex which attach to the stem or bars and you slip maps under a folded bit at the front. My latest one rotated too so you could always orientate it in the direction you are going, which was quite handy for Polaris events etc. Weight was about 150g

In my quest for a lighter version, I stumbled upon something online which I’ve refined to make a waterproof map holder that attaches to the bars and doesn’t weigh much at all. Should get it finished tonight, for use at the event tomorrow :)

edit: where’s flatfish? The top of page 44 has been left unattended for over an hour…

Nick

I just have an A5 piece of correx (filched a big sheet used to advertise the local tory candidate at the last General Election), zip tied to bars/stem, couple of rubber bands to hold on maps (printed on waterproof paper). Bit of insulating tape to cover sharp edges, sorted. Must weigh less than 50g.

A friend made one that rotated using two sheets of correx and a plastic bolt/pivot arrangement, unecessarily complicated imo.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Thought its about time to bump this thread with all the action going on in Wales on the WRT :-)

nick3216
    Free Member

[/url]
    Kit Check[/url] by nick3216[/url], on Flickr

How much stuff do some people take? That’s me going over the top – normally there’s room in the KIMM for a good size book. and still plenty room to spare.

Tent if it’s going to be really bad, bivvy bag otherwise.

Bike optional.

[/url]
    Shanty[/url] by nick3216[/url], on Flickr

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Heading to the Clocaenog Forest for a bivi night out in North Wales this Friday night after work.

Bring it on, especially with the good forecast.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Nick is that a cheeky kayak under the tarp? Also loving that Vango tent, Easy to pitch etc? I like the way its fits under the top tube

shalarim
    Free Member

DoctorRad did you get/try out that frame/handlebar bag you posted? If so how did you find it?

Anthony
    Free Member

Nick, a summer one nighter’s worth of kit usually fits in my 18l camelbak octane quite easily with nothing on the bike. That includes tarp food evening wear stove etc. so your set up looks sound.

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Just put together a penny stove kit – everything fits neatly inside my mug, so I’m well chuffed.
    2x penny stove, primer dish, snuffer, windshield, pot stand

…but first it all goes inside a used (small) Pringles tub …

…pretty neat even though I say so myself.

Cost nowt. Got rolling boil on a pan of water in 6mins 40 secs from the stove with the most holes. Used other one to succesfully heat a can of beans in an army style bivvy tin.

7hz
    Free Member

Nice stove!

I have a review of the framebag I used now up at http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/buggybags-custom-mtb-framebag

TheBrick
    Free Member

Any good ideas or recommendations for map cases. I’m on my second decathlon one and it’s very tight to fit a o/s map into. First one failed on the velcro attachments too but at least it’s cheap. Dose not need tobe bike specific, infact would prefer it not to be.

99percentchimp
    Free Member

I have used Ortleib for years; winter climbing, sea kayaking (and they need to be waterproof on the deck in front of you in a heavy sea!) and biking.
    Biking set up is an Ortleib A5 map case (with Memory Map A4 prints folded in half) held in a Polaris Map Trap… the waterproof rollover of the mapcase goes under the ‘trap’ of the map trap and is then held pretty securely. Simply flip over as transparent on both sides. This will give enough room either side on the bars for a GPS etc.
    HTH

TheBrick
    Free Member

That dose help thanks. Reliably water proof is a must! My case claims to be but is not when it get really nasty which is why I am nervous of website claims.

Just done some gooleing about the Ortleib and also found this Aquapac map case too
    http://www.bluewatersports.com/shop/aquapac-kaituna-map-case.html?___store=default&___store=default

Similar price IPX6 (can’t find a IP rating for Ortleib but I don’t think they are rated for full immersion, i.e. IPX7/8) rated and slightly bigger than the Ortleib at 30 cm x 30 cm vs Ortleib at 27 cm x 27 cm. so a bit more wiggle room when you have big maps. I’ll have a think.

Tiger6791

Here’s my Welsh Ride Thing gear all laid out with lots of notes…

[/url]
    WRT Gear Layed Out[/url] by fantasticmrmatt[/url], on Flickr

unsponsored
    Free Member

Thats a great shot.

nyphur
    Free Member

@ FantasticMrMatt

I know absolutely nothing about all this Bivi malarky etc, so excuse what may a very amateur question….

Why do you have “2x plastic bags for feet”?

Tiger6791

Dry socks wet shoes

nyphur
    Free Member

I see. Thanks

Tiger6791

Sorry for brevity of answer was on mobile:

If you need a wee in the night or you want to put your shoes back on after you’ve put some nice dry socks on then the plastic bags protect your dry socks form your ‘more than likely’ wet shoes. The ones with the plastic zip type things on seem to be good and you can zip then up and the stay in place.

TheBrick
    Free Member

The rain induced boredom meant a test pack for a overnight I have planned for next week. Tried a different set-up this time. I have previously used a rear rack to strap vs saddle. Backpack has stove and water proofs in, looks more puffer up than it is.

I’ve also been forced to go back to a bulky roll matt due to my alpkit wahteveritscalled short matt developing a slow leak which can’t be fixed. The bulk makes it quite inconvenient as otherwise I could have gotten away with my small hydration bag bag for sundries.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Anyone been out and about or are poeple still getting over the WRT???

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Anyone been out and about or are poeple still getting over the WRT???

Not been out yet since WRT as been on holiday with the family to recover, will be out soon I promise sir :wink:

TheBrick
    Free Member
    unsponsored
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get a few shots on my bike loaded up today. The weather is pretty bad, but hopefully will post a few pics on http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk before the day is out.

In the pic above it looks like a sea to summit compression stuff sack on the rack and a Talon 22 in the foreground.

Looks like a couple of pipes on/in whatever is mounted below the bars. What is it?

TheBrick
    Free Member

The weather stopped me going out this week just gone, with any luck Tuesday night for me.

It’s packraft and all the gubins.

I signed up to your site this week unsponsored but kept having problems logging in is it ok now.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Looks like a couple of pipes on/in whatever is mounted below the bars. What is it?

It’s a boat 8O

awesome

unsponsored
    Free Member

TheBrick, you should be fine.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Spent a rainy Sunday Making a new quilt. Full pertex microlight with 100% 800 fill siberian goose down filling.

:)

flatfish
    Free Member

Whats that weighing in at Phil?
    Fancy making me one?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

anyone want a cheap bivvybag? I ended up with two – email me

coastkid
    Free Member

You guys like wee stoves,
    When up north on holiday i went up Dunnet Head to photo the Sunset and ended up staying up till sunrise drinking coffee in the ROC Bunker there with the owner (and previous member) Derek who was stopping over night there and charging up the batteries using a wind turbine for some Radio Ham friends for the following Saturday evening,
    [/url]
    2011 Roadtrip[/url] by coastkid71[/url], on Flickr

[/url]

Anyway he showed me a stove i had saw in books before; the Tommys cooker…
    a multi fuel stove that can use meths…

[/url]

It has a reversable top for boiling and simmering,
    Check out the wording on the side :-)

[/url]

“big game hunters” :D

anyway turns out my dad has one stashed in the loft he is looking out for me, field test of one soon! :-)

unsponsored
    Free Member

Flatfish its 800 grams, i’d happily use it into winter.

flatfish
    Free Member

Your teasing me now!

unsponsored
    Free Member

Check out my post on the BushCraft Uk site or BikeandBivi

Rochey
    Free Member

Loving the post, I now want to sleep “under” the stars, how must do I need to spend??

Remember only one night to start with and where best to start, I live in Milton Keynes so not to far if poss.

cheers

santacoops
    Free Member

Anyone ever take their dog with them? I’m off on a trip next month for 3 nights and am considering taking my hound. He loves coming with me on long day rides but never done an over night. Just wanted to know what experiences people had taking theirs.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@ Rochey – You don’t need to spend vast sums but a little outlay will stand you in good sted. If you pick your night/spot then you could be alright with nothing more than a sleeping bag. A bivvy bag will give you lots more scope though, as will a sleeping mat of some sort. If you just want to give it a try then I’d pick up a cheap foam mat (easily under a tenner) and something like a Hunka bivvy bag from Alpkit (£30). If you really don’t like it you’d sell the bag for £20 pretty easily. As for a sleeping bag, if you wear your clothes and pick a sheltered spot then just about any bag will stop you dieing at this time of year.

@ Santacoops – I’ve taken one of mine. She stays with you all night, you don’t really know she’s there. I wouldn’t dream of taking the other one, he’s fine in a tent but I think a night in the great outdoors would blow his mind!

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Stu Havent you got a greyhound?

flatfish
    Free Member

Teej has a bag for sale ATM. 20 quid iirc.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@ Bigface … 2 Lurchers, Roo (the one who can go) and Dennis (the one who most certainly can’t) :wink:

Viewing 40 posts - 1,721 through 1,760 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.