Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

@Stuart, did I dream it or didn’t you indicate that the grid refs for the WRT would be sent about now. It’s not leaving me enough time to build the strategically placed log cabin I was planning. Any news on the car that has gone into Clywedog this afternoon, it all sounds a bit grim.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Forget my ill informed rambling, the grid ref date is the 28th, just found your e mail.Doh.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok here you go.

I need to adjust what is in the front bag to get it to sit right but very happy with the set up, I can lift the bike now :oops:

Mounty_73

I am loving this thread, I cant believe I have missed it…..I must sort an over nighter out…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@ Valleydaddy, nice blossom :wink:

@ Pistonbroke, heard nothing about an accident … hope they went in from the damn and not over the edge from the road above.

EDIT: Mounty, keep up man :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Cheers Stu, I was trying to get all artistic :wink:

flatfish
    Free Member

Hiding the rest of the shonky garden I expect. :wink:

Mounty_73

still s8tannorm –

I have had a few beers now….so now the brain has chilled out and I can now read through STW at a more leisurely pace :-)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Hiding the rest of the shonky garden I expect

I must admit that is my best bush :wink:

stevemorg2

Pete – I see you’ve still left room to put your panniers on!

That rear bag looks good though I’m not sure I want butcher the ortilieb one I have – let me know how you get on with it

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Seeing as Alpkit has run out of Rigs, does anyone have a template for a tarp??

Gonna have a go at making one..

Still got a couple of old ones I was issued, but fancy a change from the DPM Colourscheme..

:)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Pete – I see you’ve still left room to put your panniers on

Yes indeed but hoping I don’t have to, if you remember last time it took 2 of us to lift my bike over a gate!!

Tiger6791

Tarp ideas here http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/diy/make-an-ultralight-solo-tarp.html

Right food.

Just been making/mixing/bagging some up of my ultra cheap, I’m not paying ‘Mountain House’ prices when I can get a Vesta for a £1 stuff.

Basically I’ve got full day Breakfast, lunch, dinner, desert and snacks, coffee, tea & whisky. 2700 ish Calories 700grams

What’s do other people reckon for food?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

That rear bag looks good though I’m not sure I want butcher the ortilieb one I have – let me know how you get on with it

I felt the same Steve but I had a Lidl one that I used that was a couple of quid so no worries if I trash it at the weekend, I will take extra straps incase it fails :wink:

But I think it will be fine as it feels sturdy enough :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

So what you been a mixing tiger?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Food. for a day out in the hills

Breakfast – porridge with dried fruit, coffee

second breakfast – musli bar and dried fruit

elevensies – cereal bar.

Ist lunch – bread and cheese ( first day out – 2nd onwards crackers)

2nd lunch – more bread and cheese, cereal bar (cheese in a tube / tartex after first day}

Afternoon snack – cereal bar

Tea – sweets ./ cake if available tea or coffee

Dinner – cup a soup. pasta and sauce. instant custard type pudding

Supper – whisky and even more cereal bars.

2700 calories – nowhere near enough IMHO. I am looking for 5000+ for a day out in the hills

Tiger6791

You eat like a Hobbit

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hobbits you say?
    [/url] 13 Hobbits[/url] by TandemJeremy[/url], on Flickr[/img]

valleydaddy
    Free Member

where’s the bikes??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hobbits don’t ride bikes

Tiger6791

Breakfast – Sachet of OatsoSimple Golden Syrup, Powdered Milk, Dried Fruit and a spoon of Ready Brek. add 200ml Boiling water and stir and stand for 2 mins. Coffee (Nescafe 3in1) 375 cals

Lunch – Tesco value instant chicken noodles and pasta in a mug. Just add 400ml boiling water, Mini pack of Maryland cookies 510 cals

Dinner – Vesta meal, throw rice away and add in 5min spaghetti, just add boiling water and stand. Instant custard powder and dried fruit and nuts, Coffee, 1000 cals

Snacks
    Animal biscuits
    Fruit Flakes
    Mars Bar
    Whisky Miniature

2700-3000 cals / 700 grams

Add to this Haribo and stuff as needed

Whole days food <£5

Like the crackers and squeezey cheese idea though

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Has anyone tried these boil(able) food bags? … stick a meal in one, then drop the whole bag into your pan of boiling water and eat it straight from the bag.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

I’ve reheated food using the boil in the bag method with food decanting to ‘pour and store’ bags. Worked ok, the bag pulls out at the bottom so it stands well.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Bigface0_0

Gutted Alpkit have sold out of the Gourdon 20 really wanted one for Wales.

Is that the one with mesh posckets and compression elastic you are after? I have one I don’t use, been used a handful of times and is orange.

I’ll be at WRT.

Aidan
    Free Member

From bitter experience, I’d say valleydaddy is going to have to watch out for drybag/front-tyre incidents. Especially with a suspension fork.

If that’s OK, though, you’ve got a nice setup there!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Aidan – yes I was thinking the same when I took the pictures last night, I will be re-packing the front bag to make it slimmer and longer to avoid such an incident with drybag/front-tyre.

I don’t think I am hardcore enought yet to go rigid up front too :wink:

Dyffers
    Free Member

This thread seems to have become a bit of an unoffical WRT info source so…

Stuart, any idea what time on Thursday you’re going to email out those grid refs?

I have managed to a)sort my report deadline for work for the 27th, b) be just about the only person in the office and c) have Memory Map installed and ready at work.

So 9am would be great, y’know, just in case I’ve got nothing to do for my lunch break ;o)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@Dyffers … I’ll see what I can do, can’t promise owt though as I’m guiding all week :wink: Yes, sorry if it seems to have become a slightly wrt thread but I suppose most of the folk who post on here will be riding the wrt.

stevemorg2

Pete – I looped the grey straps on the bar roll around the bars as well – it makes it a lot more secure (I didn’t trust those black velcro straps on their own!) and it meant I was able to pull the bag up a bit higher – certainly I had no issues with my Inbred/Revs set up on the last ride – apart from too many bloody punctures!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Cheers Steve good tip regarding the grey straps, I will do that for sure.

I keep meaning to call in and give you your socks back too – sorry :oops: , I am waiting in for CityLink to collect some parcels if they don’t turn up I’ll be driving down to the depot to drop them off myself so if I do I’ll pop by :wink:

Tiger6791

Pete, where is the bar roll from?

flatfish
    Free Member

Revelate by the looks of it

valleydaddy
    Free Member

indeed it is a Revelate one, Steve and I bought one together to save on postage, took ages to come as well, didn’t get stung for customs either unlike the Jannd bag.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Under 5kg for all the gear excluding water.

Only the Laser Comp isn’t on the bike, stashed in a MacPac Amp Race 25

Revelate Tangle, Viscacha w/ Liner, Strap w/ Alpkit 8l drybag, Mountain Feedbags (x2)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Is the sub 5kg including food too? … either way, it’s a good weight considering there’s a tent involved :wink:

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

yes, dehydrated expedition food (orange bags) and gel and endurance blend chocolate brownies :wink:

Rab and Haglofs clothing, Ti cook gear in seatbag.

Bedroll on bars is a little over a kilo for quilt, mat and pillow

few bits stashed in Tangle

and a lovely bright red tent on my back.

paul78
    Free Member

Think a whole new forum section is needed for bikepacking.. this thread is getting more traffic than bikepacking.net.

First bivi of the year tomorrow night somewhere up near Kielder… hoping next week I will have a delivery of bags from Revelate and Cleaveland Mountaineering to start the prep for Grenzstein trophy.

Great thread :)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Shame you can’t make the WRT Paul … maybe next year :wink:

You’re right about the interest, this thread just keeps running, the WRT blog gets 500 hits a day and Bikepacking.net seems pretty busy too. It’s all good!

paul78
    Free Member

Hmm .. maybe WRT would be a better use of my time than racing round Kielder for 12 hours .. don’t count me out just yet :)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

You’ve missed the official entry cut off and the extra extended entry cut off BUT I’m a easily bought :wink:

Let me know if you want in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,441 through 1,480 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.