Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • flatfish
    Free Member

bugger you got 1200
    Edit: no i have the ascent.

IanB
    Free Member

bugger you got page 31…

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Right here’s the badge I promised :wink:

IanB
    Free Member

Isn’t the Ascent about 600g?

flatfish
    Free Member

Just ” I’m in BIVI CLUB” would do.

@Ian
    yes somewhere round there.

IanB
    Free Member

Quick question for the tarpists out there: midge nets – what do people use?

I have an Alpkit Hunka which is a open around the face area and a bit prone to the flying teeth.
    Must be something out there which just covers the facial area?

IanB
    Free Member

@valleydaddy – I think if you going to call it the Welsh Ride Thing Singletrack World Bivi Club, you should have a Welsh flag?

Right – I have a baby to burp, and then I’m off to bed.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’M NOT WELSH!!!!!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

As requested Taylor :wink:

I can get these made into badges if required no problem :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

@IanB I’m working on that, just have to get the Scottish wife to do the graphic :wink:

stayhigh

Cheap and cheerful is where its at for me due to lots of home improvements ongoing. Whats THIS like as a bag?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I want a material style one instead of a pin one, like the one’s the kids sow on there jeans in the 80’s

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Slugwash that is a great badge.

@Everyone – taking all comments on board :D … Right I’m off to instruct some ladies in the black art of jumping off stuff.

Marko

PSA: Rock and Run have these on offer:

http://www.rockrun.com/products/Rab-Ranger-eVent-Bivi.html

Event bivy bag for £75. Also they have the the Rab ‘Storm’ bag for £35.
    Hth
    Marko

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Ranger bag is a bargain!

slackman99
    Free Member

Afternoon all,

Thought i’d post a few pics of some of my kit and also a psa type thing:

Top row (left to right): Alpkit head torch, Tesco down sleeping bag including a cotton liner (not sure how warm the bag is hence the liner), Decathlon Tarp sans poles (and pegs at the minute, so need to add some pegs)

Bottom row: Home made balloon bed, Coleman Solo Pot (that’s the psa), containing 250c gas cannister, Coleman F1 Lite stove, lighter, small pot of instant coffee/sugar, Alpkit Hunka bivi bag

Fits into an Alpkit dry bag quite well and weighs 3.6kg (no idea if that’s light or not)

Now on to the psa: Coleman Solo pan set

Hard anodised black, 2 sets of nesting pots (800ml with lid/cup and 400ml with lid/cup). In the pics above, i’m only taking the 800ml pot with lid/cup.

A standard threaded 250c gas cannister fits inside nicely, with a stove and lighter.

Maybe not the lightest, but a whole £8.64 inc free postage from amazon

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I have to say, I prefer Aluminium to Ti for pans as it conducts heat better and I’m tight :wink:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@ Ian … Is this the kind of thing you’re thinking midge net wise?

http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Gossamer_Gear_Bug_Canopy.html

TheBrick
    Free Member

Personally I would not recommend planning to pack your tarp in the same dry bag as your sleeping bag. It’s ok when you leave home when every thing is dry but if the tarp gets wet, packing a wet tap into a moisture tight dry bag with a sleeping bag is not a good idea. Infact there is no need to pack the tarp in any dry bag imo.

slackman99
    Free Member

TheBrick,

Point taken regards the tarp. Just wanted to see how small everything packed.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

all this talk of midges are we expecting a bite fest :cry:

flatfish
    Free Member

They seem to arrive mid may in mid Wales. Wrt is the end of may.
    Get the bug spray ready. :(

valleydaddy
    Free Member

indeed you are right I have seen a few swarms of the pesky nibblers already.

lets hope we win some in that competition :D

TheBrick
    Free Member

slackman99 – Member
    TheBrick,

Point taken regards the tarp. Just wanted to see how small everything packed.

Sorry not trying to patronise but I’ve made the mistake of putting wet cloths in plastic in side my cloths bag resulting in slightly damp clean cloths so being as I am so brilliant and made that mistake everyone else must be capable of making the same mistake too. ;)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Welsh midges are the reason I bought my Bearpaw mesh inner tent http://welshridething.blogspot.com/2011/02/bear-spotted-in-wales.html#comments

Out for another scoutabout today (under the pretense of guiding) I’ll try for some pics if I manage to figure out my new birthday camera. I shall also be riding a SS, rigid, 29er with drops for added niche effect :wink:

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Start taking Vitamin B1 and build a resistance to the midges, and get on to your local Avon lady and order Skin So Soft spray moisturiser. Midges hate it and you’ll have great looking fragrant skin whilst bikepacking.

slugwash
    Free Member

Home made balloon bed

Brilliant! Have you got any pictures of it unwrapped, etc?

small pot of instant coffee/sugar,

Oh dear Slackman, instant indeed! I was pretty damn impressed with your bivi kit collection posting until I read that. ;-)

TheBrick
    Free Member

Start taking Vitamin B1 and build a resistance to the midges

I’ve never heard this one before. I’m defiantly less less popular with midges than my girlfriend. I love Marmite and eat lots of Marmite, my girlfriend doesn’t. Marmite has lots of B1, I wonder if this is related?

matt_outandabout

Anyone know of a cookpot that is also a coffee press? Found a nice light couple of pots, and a nice light caffetiere from GSI, but wondering if I can combine both?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

slackman any chance of a report on the tesco sleeping bag they look good value.

slackman99
    Free Member

Haven’t had a chance to use it yet. It feels pretty thin, but then for £40 I couldn’t really expect it to be rammed with down.

I’ve left it to loft for a few days and it’s certainly increased in volume some.

I’ll be taking a cotton liner to add some extra warmth (if it feels cold) and keep the inside clean.

It packs pretty small and weighs less than a kilo, so is a LOT smaller than my other bag which is a Snugpak car camping effort.

I might well give it a go between now and when I first use it in anger to check i’ll not die of hypothemia so will pop a message up to let people know how it is.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

was in poundland the other day getting a few vest meals etc and found these tarp type things. The one in my local store was green plastic sheet.
    http://www.poundland.co.uk/product-range/a-z/outdoor-solutions-emergency-shelter/

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Cheers, managed to get away last night for my first bike bivi / camp
    ( I used a 1 man tent so I cheated).
    Made use of camping kit i already had. Most of it is to big & heavy sleeping bag is full 4 season but massive! Tent isnt much heavier than a tarp and bivvi bag together and a bit more comfortable. Great fun fantastic weather. Used a few good tips from this topic regarding food etc custard powder with raisens and nuts a great desert! A few pics.

slugwash
    Free Member

Looks like you had a great trip NorthCountryBoy. Sorry that you had to sleep inside a tent though ;-)

BTW, there’s some Tesco down sleeping bag feedback around page 20/21 of this thread if that’s any help.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’ve not commented on this thread but i always read it/look at the shots. NorthCountryBoy – i wholeheartedly appreciated your approach, with the tent and the big bag and the panniers :)

slackman99
    Free Member

slugwash,

Just some ripstop nylon I had for another ‘project’. Poorly sown with a machine into 8 tubes wide. No got any pics of it inflated, but here’s a catalogue picture draped over a chair!

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Cheers MrK it was more just a case of useing what I had rather than trying to do it all differently! Panniers dont make for a greta handling moutain bike but then neither does a 30lb ruck sack! It was a good way to dip a toe in the water of bike camping.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.