Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • John_Rowlands
    Free Member

What do you guys wear on your feet when bikepacking? Im sticking to flat pedals, if having to walk a bit might wear my walking boots.

[/url]SANY0505[/url] by john502011[/url], on Flickr

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I just wear my 5:10s but I’m about the only one I know of who isn’t clipped in … I suppose shoe choice is always going to be a compromise whatever you do.

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

I just wear my 5:10s but I’m about the only one I know of who isn’t clipped in … I suppose shoe choice is always going to be a compromise whatever you do.

I do use spd’s, got some dhb plastic soled ones but theyre no use for walking in. I’ll see how im doing for cash and might buy some 5:10s.

Tiger6791

Got some old Shimano SPD come walking shoe things, had ’em for years (maybe 5+ years) I use them for everything on the bike. Rubber walking boot type soles with recessed cleats so walking is fine.

Tiger6791

Here you go, rock n roll

[/url]

Shoes[/url] by fantasticmrmatt[/url], on Flickr

Very cold in snow :|

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Mavic Switchback, fine to walk in and ‘excellent traction with Terra Grip Outsole’, i do like the way these companies decribed their products :roll:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

weather dependant I’ll be in Spesh defrosters to keep my feet as dry as possible or if there’s a heatwave on I’ll be in my Spesh disco slippers :wink:

IanB
    Free Member

Sorry, back to page 25 again:

Anthony – Member
    PHD Minim Ultra sleeping bag (genuine 900EU fill mmmmmm) 345g
    PHD Minimus vest 240g

Anthony – How do you find this combination in use, and how cold have you found you can take it down to?

IanB
    Free Member

Shoes – just bought some of these. They still feel quite stiff around the uppers, so need to be broken in a bit before they turn up for the WRT. Not everyone’s cup of tea in terms of styling (flatfish), but they seemed OK for the money.

flatfish
    Free Member

Disco slippers for WRT and normal socks. There is almost guaranteed bog to go through at some point and seal skins/waterproof spuds will just hold the water IN. It’ll be plenty warm enough so your toes won’t freeze anyway.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

may have to make some SPD sandels if the weather is cracking as promised by Stuart :wink:

plodtv
    Free Member

may have to make some SPD sandels if the weather is cracking as promised by Stuart

Sealskins with: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=46688 would look classy ;)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Oh what didn’t realise you could actually get them ready made 8O

I don’t think I will be risking my toes with the way I ride :wink:

pistonbroke
    Free Member

And for the flattiephile Is this Stuart on his day off?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I have to say the chap in the top picture does look a little like me :D

Valleydaddy come May 28th it’ll be cracking the flags … a full complement of comedy cycling tan lines will be expected upon return!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I have to say the chap in the top picture does look a little like me

is this you Stuart??

as long as no one turns up like this other wise I’ll set a course record :lol:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

It’s not me Valleydaddy … but on a dark night?

Anthony
    Free Member

Ian, Re. the PHD kit,

I only bought the Ultra sleeping bag mid-March so have only used it once to date, initial impressions are good though and as a modular sleeping system I’m happy with my choice. The combination of this, an Alpkit PD800 bag, a balloon bed and a neoair give me lightweight 4-season coverage depending on what combinations I take.

The Ultra sleeping bag feels incredibly thin but it is held in very high regard by those that have used it in temperatures below the ‘8C they recommend. PHD are one of the few companies I trust regarding the quality of their down.

When I used it, we were sleeping on bare rock with only a short balloon bed for ground protection (+Rab bivvy bag). I used a 100g silk liner, Lifa base layers and my 450g 800-fill Montane jacket and was perfectly warm and cosy. Temperatures were 3-4’C before windchill.

The vest is absolutely stunning, it has a huge loft for such a tiny pack size. PHD are very conservative with their stuff sacks. The Ultra sleeping bag fits in the vest stuffsack (0.8L ish) and the vest fits into a spare tent peg bag at around 0.4L. The sleeping bag, vest and silk liner fit in a 3L dry bag without any effort.

I’ll be using the Ultra bag and Minimus vest on the WRT.

Shoes – Summer race shoes with WoolieBoolie’s. Spare merino socks for evening wear and plastic bags to keep them dry inside the wet shoes. If it rains!!

pistonbroke
    Free Member
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

:cry: My eyes

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

That lad;s got no trouble packing has he? :D

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Novel solution as to where to pack a balloon mat 8O

valleydaddy
    Free Member

right lets get back on track is this a set up to aspire too??

Tiger6791

Just found this photo of James Cracknell on the Yukon Arctic Ultra

Note the framebags :)

Big Image

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Tiger nice spot

I would be interested in those but would have to see what Ian and Beth have come up with to look after the local guys :-)

flatfish
    Free Member

I doubt Alpkit will be making bespoke frame bags, more universal type ones. Although i prepare to be shot down by somebody else on here.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I suggested they have a go at it 12 months ago when the waiting list from Revelate was about 4 months, they said it was on their radar but low numbers and the variation of frame shapes was an issue, better response than Carradice who just said “we don’t do one offs” By the way, my Wildcat one is ace, holds a Jetboil stood up down the seat tube, very pleased. :-)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

It would be the “big” saddle bags I would be interested in initially so I they would be universal, I have emailed them to and will let you know the response.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Alpkit frame bag and Saddle pack, were do I sign…. Would love one of those bad boys…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Nothing new watch this :D (i never get the embed thingy to work!)

part 2

valleydaddy
    Free Member

<iframe title=”YouTube video player” width=”480″ height=”390″ src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKfNKNxntY0&#8243; frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>

Linky no worky :cry:

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

try it now

valleydaddy
    Free Member

:lol: that’s better my dad used to do the same thing back in the 50’s on his steel sturmy archer 3 speed and a cotton tent 8O

he can’t believe how small/light stuff is nowadays :wink:

bawbag
    Free Member

great stuff, what a feast he set out! Looking forward to having a go myself now.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

This 3rd picture ^^^^^^^ has about the same amount of kit as Ive got waiting to be fitted to my bike, Im sure I ‘Need’ everything ;-)

Who’s using a GPS for WRT or are people just ‘using the force’ I mean paper maps?
    I do like the idea of just loading the route into the GPS (maybe a Garmin Edge 705, not got a it yet) and just following the route and enjoying the view.. I will have the paper jobs for just in case but not sure…?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

There is some serious gear on them there bikes above and I think I take a lot of stuff!!!

Probably going to use good old maps unless Steve has a magic GPS?

More fun doing it old school surely, may use OS online and print off route on that if I am feeling technically adept at that time.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Terra Nova Laser Competion tent:-
    My riding buddy has just treated himself to one of these for WRT, anyone tested, used one of these….?

Tiger6791

Oh and

didnothingfatal

Hdwhciwckllc;wkcn

Is the worst blog post ever!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.