Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Your name’s on ‘The List’ so you’re already involved :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Your name’s on ‘The List’ so you’re already involved

ok I’m game the hunt is on for lightweight lumo gear then :wink:

pink camo gear ought to do, now where did I see that???

valleydaddy
    Free Member

for starters :wink:

tons here

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/pink+camouflage+gifts

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

I think it should be mandatory for everyone to have something 80’s with them or on.. I’m going to an 80’s style ‘Globe Hypercolour’ T shirt that changes colour when you sweat… Oh well I guess that’s just going to stay the one sweaty colour then…!

IanB
    Free Member

Back on Page 25:

Very nice job Ian, it’ll be interesting to see what effect it has on boil times. If it works well I anticipate a world foil shortage

In between changing nappies, I finished off my Clone with some holes punched around the edge. In the end, I’ve put about one third of the holes that are shown on the template, with a single row of 21 holes around the top rim, and 19 on a double row on the bottom, but only partially around the base which allows me to direct it or not towards the wind.

[/url]
    Completed Clone with holes[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

So, to the boil test. To keep the test method in line with my previous stove test[/url], I boiled 450ml of water in 8m 7s, once the stove is fully primed, which is 4m 21s faster than with a standard windshield.

[/url]
    Boil test[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

With the significant reduction in boil time, it’s definitely worth the effort to make one.

IanB
    Free Member

ponce around the forests and mountains singing the theme to Fame

Perhaps Monty Python’s Lumberjack song would be more appropriate :lol:

IanB
    Free Member

Real world performance test, using the above setup: cup of tea made outside in 8 mins 54s total time in quite windy conditions too.

[/url]
    Outside boil test, with lid[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

Very pleased with that :D

Tiger6791

Told you they were good :) Don’t burn your decking though

Also good to see you making good use of your paternity time.

I boarded the loft out during mine

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Stu….As its April tomorrow, does that mean I get to spend all day enjoying WRT Coordinates your about to email out???
    OR
    Have I got another day spent doing boring paperwork wishing I was out in the Hills?

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@Bigface … you misunderstand, today is the last day to enter but GR and map details aren’t sent out until the end of April, the 28th to be exact. Sorry about that but hey ho back to your paperwork :wink:

@Ian, how robust do you think it’ll be, get a year out of it do you think?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

YOUR JOKIN……NNOOOooooo Gutted thought for some reason it was tomorrow, Going to have to buy myself something now to cheer me up :cry:

flatfish
    Free Member

Something lightweight i hope?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Yeah need a cooking pot…Alpkit?

flatfish
    Free Member

Alpkits as good as any but i recommended this to Valleydaddy who thinks it’s the dogs doodah’s,

GSI Halulite Minimalist

IanB
    Free Member

Tibetan titanium pans are about the lightest you can get. I use a combo of a small 550ml pan and a 450ml mug for extra versatility without incurring much extra weight.

Stu, I think the Clone would reasonably hard wearing. It withstood being blown across the decking earlier without loosing much shape. It is most prone during transit, so if you can roll it and store it in a pan it should be fine.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bigface, evernew ti stuff is very, very nice. It’ll pretty much last longer than any of us will and it’s not that expensive all things considered.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/page100.asp

Ian what size of gap is there between the top of your stove and base of your pot when everything’s in place?

flatfish
    Free Member

If your looking at Evernew get it bought sharpish as stocks are low and the factory/staff were affected by the Tsunami in Japan a few weeks back so stock won’t be replenished for some time.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

These look cool, well cheap anyone used one?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product527.asp?PageID=100

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Bigface, I’ve not tried one but have been tempted … reviews seem a little mixed with some testers saying the things split along the folds.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

By the way the WRT start list for 2011 is now on the blog

http://welshridething.blogspot.com/

76 unsuspecting victims have been lured into my devilish trap this year :D

Mattie_H
    Free Member

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

:?:

Tiger6791

Now that is ultralight!

Anthony
    Free Member

Back to Big-face, as a vessel only (ie not for cooking too) 60g isn’t ‘that’ light. Just use a disposable cup from a Klix machine at 5g.

IanB
    Free Member

Ian what size of gap is there between the top of your stove and base of your pot when everything’s in place?

18mm

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Is it me or is 8+ mins to boil a pint of water very very slow? I was thinking about one of these stoves but that has put me off totally.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

What’s the rush? … you’re there all night!

slugwash
    Free Member

Is it me or is 8+ mins to boil a pint of water very very slow?

My MYOG one a few pages above ^^^ boils 400ml of water in about 4 1/2 minutes with one Gelert solid fuel tablet or a supercat meths burner. However, Anthony’s (Edit: Not Anthony’s but Ian’s) wins when it comes to craftsmanship & aesthetics :-)

Anthony
    Free Member

Slugwash, you must mean Ian’s, my MYOG I’ve pictured is far from being a winner where craftmanship and aesthetics are concerned!

slugwash
    Free Member

:oops: Sorry! I did mean to double check it before posting but got distracted. Post two above ^^^ now contains an Edit:

IanB
    Free Member

Is it me or is 8+ mins to boil a pint of water very very slow?

Yes, compared to gas or petrol stoves, 8 mins isn’t that quick at all. However, if you want to use a gas stove in very cold weather it won’t work very well. Petrol or paraffin is a bit on the smokey and noisy side, plus they’re much heavier – I have these types of stoves too.

As Stu and others say, there’s no hurry really. I can get the stove lit and a pan on while I do other stuff and it sits there quietly boiling my water with little hassle. Also, it doesn’t weigh much. I just happened to weigh my cooking kit, which comprises of a Vargo Tirad, Tibetan 550 pan, 450 Ti mug, Caldera Clone wind shield and a pot warmer comes to 209g before fuel.

Given the light weight, I’m happy to endure 8 mins to boil up for a brew :)

Ian’s wins when it comes to craftsmanship & aesthetics

Thanks ;)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Bigface0_0 – Member
    These look cool, well cheap anyone used one?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product527.asp?PageID=100

I picked up one of these last week as I needed another cup/bowl to go with my GSI Halulite Minimalist as pictured above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ so I can have a brew whilst heating up more water or food.

My thoughts were that it is light enough for what it costs and as it packs flat it will not take up too much space. If I used a disposable cup I would crush it the amount of times I crash on a given day :wink:

IanB
    Free Member

The disadvantage with those mugs is that you they can’t go on a stove. As my mug is metal, it can serve dual duty as a pan or a mug, and weighing only 12g more and costing about £5 more than the X-mug, I think it’s more versatile. All my cooking stuff packs inside the larger pan anyway, so I don’t feel I’m having to make extra room for it.

One of my principles of being weight efficient it to take stuff that serves a purpose in addition to its primary one, thereby negating the need to take an additional item if a secondary purpose can be fulfilled adequately.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Ian you are right being unable to use to use the the x-mug as a pan is a disadvantage but I have bought it now so will have to give it a field test and see how I get on with it. I guess if it does fail I will get a tibetan mug like yours if they are £15, can you give me the link for it please so I can save as a fav please?

Congratulations on the new addition to the Barrington family

IanB
    Free Member

I got mine from a local outdoor shop where I get a discount, but they have them here for £15.

Thanks Pete and everyone else for your congrats on our little baby girl – we’ve called her Sophie.

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

If you want a gas stove to work in very cold weather you need a piece of copper pipe, flatten it and bend it around your stove and gas canister, a sort of U shape so the two ends are in the flame, bind to gas canister with copper wire. Great heat sink, all the stove manufacturers will recommend you don’t do this, I’m not even saying try it, but it works in snow and at altitude.

The ‘X Mug’ fits in a MSR Ti Kettle, along with stove, gas, stove, spork and windshield. So definite win imo. Accept I can’t bung it in a flame but it will hold coffee whilst I boil water for more coffee.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Any chance of a few more pictures showing bikes / kit overnite bivis etc? Looking for inspiriation.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member
    valleydaddy
    Free Member

great link Stuart that’s going to be great wasting a few hours surfing through that lot when the sun goes down :?

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

[/url]SANY0503[/url] by john502011[/url], on Flickr

Thought id show you my kit so far, mostly from already what ive got from running. Recently bought the polythene sheet, the thickness of it alarms me a little. Stove is a pocket rocket and pan a primus.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.