Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • flatfish
    Free Member

Damn missed it

AJ
    Free Member

Anybody got any opinions on winwood outdoor?

They have loads of light weight stuff but everything seems to be out of stock.

Like the look of the terra nova bivi tarp?

Andy

Anthony
    Free Member

All those posts at once!!

Stu, fire it over, timings not great but never say never :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Anthony … email sent.

AJ, I’ve never bought owt so can’t comment but I know what you mean about stock. The Terra Nova tarp thing didn’t get a fantastic review in this months Trail (if that means owt).

Tiger … brewing up just for the sake of it is one of lifes greatest pleasures :D

slugwash
    Free Member

My ballon bed stuff sack weighed 7g, I sewed it in half as it was too big anyway!!

Aha! Complete waste of time. I used my balloon bed stuff sack to accomodate my 260g Uniqlo down parka and repacked my balloon bed in my smaller Alpkit tent peg stuff sack, thus hiding my hideously inadequate sewing skills from everybody ;-) ……

OMM 2010 Kit – Including Cunning Stuff Sack Reshuffle[/url]

Damn missed it

Me too ! And even more tragic for me as I’d bagged post #500 and had had my eye on #1000 for a week or two :-(

Life just ain’t fair sometimes :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Damn missed it

pesky lurkers

Anthony
    Free Member

How much warmer is the 260g Uniqlo down top than say a 100weight fleece jumper that weighs about the same?

What down is in them? Their price always makes them tempting!

And whoa there, what were you doing taking the case for your Elite on the OMM, it weighs more than the headlight!!

slugwash
    Free Member

How much warmer is the 260g Uniqlo down top than say a 100weight fleece jumper that weighs about the same?

Dunno exactly, but IMO it’s significantly warmer, especially with the hood, more comfortable and packs down smaller.

What down is in them? Their price always makes them tempting!

Can’t remember. Nothing special, maybe 650. Worth getting in one of their spontaneous sales (For as low as £29) if they do them again next winter.

And whoa there, what were you doing taking the case for your Elite on the OMM, it weighs more than the headlight!!

Erhh? ….It doubled up as my bowl and cup? ;-) Seriously though, a good point. Although considering that our tent weighed over 2.5 kilogrammes we weren’t exactly the lightest travelling runners on the event!

Anthony
    Free Member

Picked up my bar-bracket this afternoon. Really rather pleased, the welds aren’t pretty but then it was an agricultural engineers I used to tig weld it for me! For just £5 to weld it though I really was chuffed as they do appear nice deep welds and they sorted it pretty much overnight. Total outlay, about £15.00

The small holes are where I will zip-tie the drain-pipe through to the ‘chassis’.

I’m going to add a couple of zip-ties to secure it to the stem too, taking out any possible bounce but it feels pretty solid anyway. It clears all the cables nicely which was my main aim. I’m looking forward to loading it up and trying it \o/.

wildcat
    Free Member

Where’s Ian?

You’ll have to pencil him in for the 2000th post ;)

We were busy last night with a very important delivery. Our little baby girl was born in the very early hours of this morning. Back home now and all doing well :D

Beth

Anthony
    Free Member

:-)

flatfish
    Free Member

YAY!!! :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Anthony we could have done with that on the snow bivvy adventure as a snow plow :wink:

Looks a great invention, what’s the weight like???

We were busy last night with a very important delivery. Our little baby girl was born in the very early hours of this morning. Back home now and all doing well

Beth

Congratulations to you both great news :D

Anthony
    Free Member

Complete weight is an embarrassing 425g without zip-ties. But, if it means that luggage can be loaded more evenly and securly then hopefully the bike will ride better for it.

I’ve tried various ways of strapping a drybag to the bars but nothing seemed to work properly. I’d prefer to have soft lightweight items in my camelbak and wierd pointy heavy items strapped onto the bike.

I’m pretty sure it’s strong enough to support my 2 1/2yr old boy, who would probably jump at the chance of trying it out!!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

It does look good and strong though, I’m sure it’ll be up to the job and a good value solution.

Tiger6791

Beth, Ian, ace news. Well done Beth for being 1st to post :) very happy for you both.

All the best, Matt

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Aye, congratulations and it’s great to know everyone’s doing well :D

Anthony, nice work there.

trusslebabes
    Free Member

Anthony, that thing is a disgrace to your bike!! And shame on you for making something so heavy :roll:

trusslebabes
    Free Member

One more thing to mention is about Anthony’s balloon bed. Not sure what he’s been telling you lot on here but when we camping last Friday night all i could hear as i was trying to get to sleep was the popping sound of his balloons!! Think he confessed to having to blow up an extra 7 through the night :lol: I get the saving weight thing but this bed is not worth it in my opinion :D

Anthony
    Free Member

Pish I lost but 3 tis all.

Panic ye all not, my entry for WRT will be posted tomorrow. I’M IN :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Good man … numbers are looking very healthy but I’ll endevour to spread everyone out :wink:

wildcat
    Free Member

Thanks for all your kind words. I’ll post a pic of the little angel soon :)

Regarding handlebar harness systems, you’ll be pleased to hear that we’re developing a harness to go with our frame bags. Minimal interference with the bike and maximum stability are two key design issues we wanted to address. A prototype was deployed into darkest mid-Wales for rigorous testing earlier this month, and reports on the performance are good so far.

Beth

pb2

Late at usual but hey ho. I have just read all 26 pages in one go and I’m dizzy with info and inspiration. The one question that seems to have not been mentioned is do you wear one lot of riding kit and just put up with the fact its going to be damp and maybe smelly the next day or do you dry it out (how?) or do you take a change of kit for each day ?

I have one of the Scandal prototypes from years ago lined up as my multidayer and I already have quite a bit of light weight outdoor kit from my walking trips. I reckon I could be up and running in a couple of weeks and I’m going to see if any my normal riding pals are up for WRT.

Tiger6791

One lot of kit, last 3 day’er I did I got home and my 4 year old daughter told me she wouldn’t give me a cuddle and told me to get out of the house as I was very smelly.

flatfish
    Free Member

Depends on the weather, if it’s wet i’ll take a lightweight set of dry evening kit then wet kit back on in the morning.
    If it’s dry i’ll probably use one set of kit.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I plan to do the same as flatfish and take my a change for the evening as I detest sleeping in damp clothes, plus it makes for a lot more pleasant trip all around :D

So the question is what lightweight clothes are recommended??

Anthony
    Free Member

HH Lifa L/S base-layer and Lifa long-johns and a PHD down vest for me which will then double up as sleeping wear rather than a silk bag-liner. Plastic bags to wear over dry evening socks to stop wet shoes just making them wet straight away.

Long johns are no more embrassing than cycling tights!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve got some Regatta stuff for evening / sleeping duties (when I remember). It’s a micro fleece top and long bottoms, very warm, packs small and weighs not much … also much cheapness. Go Outdoors possibly worth a try for some, they come packaged as a pair.

pb2 is you fancy the WRT you’ll need to be sharpish, ie within the next 48 hours. Email me if you want in. stuart@forestfreeride.co.uk

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

HHHmm, Im going for these clothes so far:-

1 pair of Gore cycle short
    2 jerseys
    Lightweight cycle jacket
    Base layer (sleeping)
    Seal socks
    Fluffy gay looking socks (sleeping)
    Running leggings (sleeping)
    Berghaus jacket (outer, for if its wet eve)
    Fleece hat
    Gloves

Im sure I wont need half this stuff as Stu’s already booked a Super sunny 3 days stretch..

TheBrick
    Free Member

gay looking socks? I’m intrigued as to how a sock can look gay?! Dose it have embroidery one one man kissing another man?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Set of Lifa for the nights, normal cycling kit for the day, plus a microfleece top for extra warmth on/off bike and spare pair of socks.

Couldn’t sleep in cycling bib shorts/longs – an overnight chammy is not a pleasant sight/smell :oops:

Diawl
    Free Member

Has anybody used Esbit kit? I’m interested in this.

Tiger6791

Right with you now,

So one set of clothes for the bike and one set for sleeping should get you through at least 3 days without a wash :|

So one set for riding and one set for sleeping

For riding the bike:
    I reckon on boggo lycra cycling shorts
    Some water proof breathable shorts on top unless it’s 0% chance of rain in which case some humvees etc.
    Base layer
    Jersey
    Gloves

For off the bike Clothes.(Camp,.emergency)
    Waterproof.Jacket……Rab.Drillium.
    Insulation………….Patagonia.Down.Sweater.
    Hat………………..North.Face.Hat
    Gloves.(stopped)…….Rab.Powerstretch.Glove..
    Thermals……………Helly.Hansen.Lifa.Top.
    …………………..and.Leggings
    Spare Socks.
    2x.large.food.bags….to keep night socks dry

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I think developing a tramp like appearance and smell is part of bikepacking … I have spent many years in training :wink:

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

gay looking socks

I wanted some sort of fleece sock/warm ones so I tasked the wife with the job and she came back with pink fluffy ones…. :roll:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Diawi, not tried one but have looked before. If you fancy the idea of solid fuel / meths then it doesn’t look a bad buy. The brass meths burner won’t be the lightest thing in the world though.

slugwash
    Free Member

How much do gay looking socks weight then? If they’re fluffy then they might come up light on the scales. I might get the old crochet kit out later and do myself a pair of MYOG ones ;-)

TheBrick
    Free Member

I wanted some sort of fleece sock/warm ones so I tasked the wife with the job and she came back with pink fluffy ones.

Ha! I’m imagining aerobics style socks now.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Perhaps we can all start to wear 80’s leg warmers and ponce around the forests and mountains singing the theme to Fame 8O

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Perhaps we can all start to wear 80’s leg warmers and ponce around the forests and mountains singing the theme to Fame

What you want to do in your spare time is fine by me but don’t get us all involved :wink:

We could have a retro early 90’s throw back to when everthing was luminous I am sure I have some of that gear somewhere 8O

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.