Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • valleydaddy
    Free Member

@Steve – as a cub scout at heart “be prepared” so I’ll probably take my Joystick or Diablo as they can be used as a helmet/bar/torch light and nice and light to boot with a decent amount of output.

But on the other hand we’ll be in the Travel Lodge all nice and cosy by night fall :wink: as if 8O

stevemorg2

don’t give away our secrets or there won’t be enough room!

didnothingfatal
    Free Member

Joystick with Piggyback cell and a beacon diffuser. Should provide light for night riding and light your campsite. Then Hope Vision One headlamp, as I can put AA batteries in it and not worry about no charging facility.

flatfish
    Free Member

Alpkit rig[7], stuff sack, pegs, 12m of cordage and tensioners all in, for under 600g

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Them’s some posh scales … proper blingy :D

Tiger6791

\didn’t I borrow yours Tiger when the one Stu made for me was struggling in the cold and wind last time we were out??

Shhhhhh, nope, not me guv, you what, me? gas user? nah, how dare you!, it’s just not possible….

In my defence though, Gas was completely the right choice for the conditions (apart from it freezing and not working) and the faint roar of a gas burner is a not only a prerequisite camping sound it is also a well known bear and rouge camel deterrent. You just don’t get the same effect with meths.

Also I seem to remember I got my food and cuppa on pretty sharpish while you, my friend, worried about the prospect of a cold curry and whether or not a litre of red wine has enough calroies to see you through a night.

In fact in the unspoken competitive environment of stove wars. (we all do it but never speak of it) I was only beaten by Steve on the speed to boil stakes who in fairness brought an industrial petrol based flame thrower capable of boiling water at 1.04 gal/sec. The only thing I have seen make bigger flames are the gas flue burners on a North Sea Oil rigs.

Although I did try (well, Steve insisted I try, tactics you see) some orange juice created on said petrol stove that turned out to be as hot as the sun!!! (if not actually hotter) I do remember orange juice instantly blistered my internal organs making anything my tiny Gas stove could boil taste luke warm. Had I had meths I may as well had just gone for a swim in the stream.

So what do we know:

In the unspoken clandestine stove wars Steve won with petrol.
    Gas was a happy if not blistered second.
    Meths lost

Anyway meths is usually the first choice.

flatfish
    Free Member

Sleeping bag w/stuff sack

Cooking pot w/cosy, cup w/cosy, windshield, stove, lighter and Lahoon

A weekends supply of meths

flatfish
    Free Member

In the unspoken clandestine stove wars Steve won with petrol.
    Gas was a happy if not blistered second.
    Meths lost

What do you mean meths lost?

Steve nearly burnt the wood down.
    Your gas froze.
    I ate like a king.

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Valleydaddy:

thinking of a head torch for the bivvy site

Ive got a Alpkit Gamma, They’re great, 51Lums and come with a couple of ‘AAA’ included in the super cheap price of £12.50….

Tiger6791

I ate like a king.

Albeit a few hours later…..

flatfish
    Free Member

What was the rush? Nobody was going anywhere for a few hours anyway.
    I seem to remember it took around 10 minutes to prepare my banquet.
    Stu ate quickest though, only because he had cold bacon butties so he won i suppose.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Do I get a prize? … they were just bloody cold too :wink:

IanB
    Free Member

I used to have some scales like those, until they broke. Not the best for weighing bike bits.

I’m starting to get the weight of my gear down in preparation for the WRT. Mark II tarp is shaping up in my head, just need to unroll the 1.1oz silnylon and sew it :)

Found a super lightweight sea-to-summit dry bag in Cotswold the other day too – very thin and light.

I’ve nearly made my lightweight windshield ala a Caldera Cone – will post some pics of that soon.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

argh the weight weenies have started :(

I am gonna strap on the Ortliebs again and be the support crew for you all 8O as if!!

Not doing that again :oops:

wildcat
    Free Member

argh the weight weenies have started

You should try living with one…

I can’t begin to imagine what you had in there though:
    [/url]
    P1030454[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

Here’s another of you coming of the forest on the Sunday:
    [/url]
    P1030506[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

valleydaddy
    Free Member

cheers Ian :oops:

I think I was carrying enough gear for a week let alone one night :oops:

You’ll be glad to know:

bike changed
    carrying system changed
    cooking system changed
    tarp changed

all loads smaller and tons lighter – yes I have the bug :lol:

plus got a lot better idea what I need and a whole lot I can leave behind and not even miss it :D

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’d just like to take this opportunity to tell everyone … I’ve just been on-line shopping for a new bivvy bag, a nice 200g bivvy bag and instead have left the on-line emporium with a tent! 8O

Wonders off, hanging head in shame.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

But what tent – pray tell sir 8)

IanB
    Free Member

I’m more interested the 200g bivvy bag?

flatfish
    Free Member
    stills8tannorm
    Free Member

One of these

http://www.blacks.co.uk/brand/Vango/product/095560/spirit-200+-tent.html?attribute=166819

At a price I couldn’t ignore (certainly not the £200 of this one) The idea is to use it as a ‘base camp’ and explore from there.

IanB
    Free Member

Hmm, nice

Edit: I meant the bivvy bag, not the tent…

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Is that sarcasm Mr B :wink:

EDIT: With your edit it now all makes sense … I retract my comment :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Oh no!!! you’ve been influenced by the MBUK article???????????

8O

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I’ve just read several pages of this thread and now want an adventure! anybody want to come? :P

valleydaddy
    Free Member

why not join us on the WRT?

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

After much reading and getting excited, I’ve just seen when its going to be – I have to work that weekend. :(

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that’s too bad can you not swop your shifts it’s a long way off???, I maybe doing something over the Easter break, not sure on dates as yet and I am sure the others ^^^^^ will be doing loads of other adventures in the coming months – where are you based??

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Work in a bike shop / cycle hire shop so busy on bank holidays, so can’t really avoid it.

I’m based in Nottingham and Northampton

charliedontsurf

What’s the wrt?
    Worlds roughest trip?
    Seriously what is it?

pedalhead
    Free Member
    stills8tannorm
    Free Member

@Becky, you could always join us on one of our trips
    http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk/pages/courses2.html#trips

@Charlie … if you fancy the WRT just pop me an email across

IanB
    Free Member

Worlds roughest trip?

:lol:

and this is post #953, which is the 18th prime number 8)

Anthony
    Free Member

Ian, did you source the 1.1oz Silnylon from a UK supplier? I’d be interested to know where, the usual suspects are only listing 2oz+

The Suvival Zone Lite still needs a groundsheet under it!

I’m just prototyping an aluminium front luggage bracket from some 6x60mm plate that slots in place of a headset spacer which projects forward under and beyond the stem to support a drybag securely and out the way of cables. It’s being welded up by my local engineers shop as I type, I’ll hopefully post pictures once it’s done next week.

We are out again tonight, temperature forecast looks promising enough to finally try out my new 350g PHD sleeping bag :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Good luck, weathers looking good pretty much all weekend.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Jealous as superb weather at the moment.

Going to be stuck in a bar at a 40th birthday party tomorrow eve :lol:

Had a moment of weakness like you last night Stu and purchased a Rig7 Tarp from Alpkit, got fed up of looking and thought I am sure flatfish has researched the kit extensively so if its good enough for the legend then it’s good enough for a valleydaddy :wink:

and this is post #953, which is the 18th prime number

your on fire Ian :D

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Yes but this post is 957 which if you divide by 33 then multiply by 2, then add 7, then divide by 3 and add 111 then subtract 92.6 will give you my age next week … how spooky is that?

You’ll not go wrong with a Rig Pete … good enough for the flat one then it’s good enough for anyone :wink:

Tiger6791

Happy 40th

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Thank you Matt.

Tiger6791

Hey, found my first grey hair today, it’s not good. Think I’ll order a Rig[7] as well, might just cheer me up. Although I have just won a Kaffenback frame on ebay. Quite pleased about that. I’ll add it to my collection of ‘yet to be built’ bikes. :)

Can’t edit the original title but maybe it should be:

Getting as old as a dog so, show me you mid life crisis Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.