Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No one says owt nice to me :(

cheviots
    Free Member

I think I got a manly ‘thanks’ from Dave last time I ordered from them :-)

slugwash
    Free Member

No one says owt nice to me :(

:wink:

flatfish
    Free Member

Explains everything.
    :wink:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’d forgot that existed … ’tis true though :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

:lol: I thought you were a such a friendly fellow?? :lol:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Steve told me I was anti social the other weekend when we were out … perhaps it’s to do with where I live :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Is that why you run the WRT to invite a heap of folk you barely know and let them ride all over your playground?? Hardly anti-social, Steve should know better :wink:

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So much against my better judgement I might have to try a bivvy bag. My only tent is 3 kgs so for occasional nights on my own a bag could be worth trying.

So – Design?

I have a few m of goretex coming so will be making my own. Just a sleeping bag shape and use some sort of tarp as well or get a wet face, or a bigger bag with some sort of pole to hold it off your face? Or what? Mat inside bag or not?

Tiger6791
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

with some sort of pole to hold it off your face?

Is this the type of Pole you have in mind TJ?

willard

*sigh* not another instructional on how to make things!

After fun at work making a WRT-esq pop-can stove (thanks for the instructions still s8tannorm), I was a little disappointed with how it worked and, quite frankly, how heavy it was. Must have been the Pepsi Max tins.

Anyway, I decided to build another one using power tools at home instead of a rusty multitool in the office, and the new one is much better! Fanta tins are a lot lighter and a lot shinier. They are also hi-viz orange.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have no problem with actually making a bag. The issue is whether as a rather “active sleeper” to have a bag that is snug and leaves your face exposed thus needing a tarpp or something or to have a bigger that closes completley with a hoop or pole

simplified version of

or this plus a tarp?

flatfish
    Free Member

Ones a tent, the others a sleeping bag cover.
    BTW Miss Poland is nice, is she riding WRT?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Lightweight and flexible, what more do you need in a pole? :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I haven’t had an entry form off her yet … she’d best pull her finger out. You’ll also be pleased to hear the weather out there on the tops today was fantastic. I’ve just retured with a father and son pair, both smiling but also both very knackered :D

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

If only I could see that pic for some reason the work PC doesnt like that one… Glad youve had a nice day in your office stu, mine more….. lets say crap!

flatfish
    Free Member

I’ve had a spiffing day in my office too around bristolshire and north zummerset. Question is, do I put small block 8’s on?
    Bonus part of the ride was spoiling a photo shoot with oli beckinsale as I trundled on through. :D
    Edit: got 900th post before ianb.

plodtv
    Free Member

Hi guys I was reading Question of Weight today, and realised the tarp I had on my shopping list: DD TARP is overweight. Does anybody have a similar underweight suggestion for me. I’ve noticed everything else on my shopping list is under the max weight, its probably not that big a deal but I am not sure how much the pegs are going to weigh on top.

flatfish
    Free Member

Rig[7] from alpkit with pegs and cordage should sneak in under 600g

Tiger6791

I have a DD 3×3 and will be using it on the WRT, 50g is neither here nor there to me.

I think if I was buying fresh I may now rather the Rig7

or the Terra Nova if I ever lose the 3st of body fat first!

but I have the DD and I’ll use the DD :)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve a couple of DD tarps and they’re great … for winter / nasty weather or a group. Flatfish speaks the truth, a Rig7 ready to go should be under 600g and offer loads of pitching options and plenty of cover.

Tiger6791

My list to date

……………………………………….Weight.(g)………….Cost
    Sleeping./.Shelter……………………………4076.5………£707.97
    Bivvy.Bag…………..Alpkit.Hunka.XL…………..525…………£50.00
    Tarp……………….DD.3×3.Tarp………………650…………£30.00
    Rope……………….15m.of.1.5mm.Dyneema.cord…..19.5………..£9.99
    Pegs.&.Rope…………6x.TiPins…………………39…………£15.00
    Sleeping.Bag………..Mountain.Equip.Xero.250……730………..£160.00
    Mat………………..Thermarest.NeoAir.Regular….410…………£89.99
    Pillow……………..Exped.Air.Pillow…………..85…………£18.00

Cooking
    Stove………………Coke.can.stove…………….16………….£0.00
    Pot………………..Alpkit.MyTiMug……………110…………£25.00
    Pot.Cosy……………Alu.backed.foil……………25………….£0.00
    Mug………………..Lifeventure.Ti.Mug…………54…………£18.00
    Cutlery…………….TiFoon……………………18………….£6.00
    Fuel……………….Meths.300ml………………325………….£2.50
    Windshield………….Caldera.Cone………………34…………£35.99
    Lighting……………Waterproof.Matches…………10………….£0.50

Clothes.(Camp,.emergency)

Waterproof.Jacket……Rab.Drillium……………..375…………£99.00
    Insulation………….Patagonia.Down.Sweater…….346…………£85.00
    Hat………………..North.Face.Hat…………….50…………£13.00
    Gloves.(stopped)…….Rab.Powerstretch.Glove……..45…………£15.00
    Thermals……………Helly.Hansen.Lifa.Top……..150…………£30.00
    …………………..and.Leggings
    Socks.(stopped)……..Point.6.Merino.Wool.Socks…..50………….£5.00
    2x.large.food.bags……………………………..10………….£0.00

slugwash
    Free Member

Does anybody have a similar underweight suggestion for me. I’ve noticed everything else on my shopping list is under the max weight,

How about a cheap standard tarp from a hardware store?

I’ve got the Alpkit tarp and it’s cracking. However, if the weather forecast dosen’t look too grim then I’d take the cheap tarp and use it as a groundsheet unless the skies looked too grey, when I was stopping for the night, in which case I’d use it as a shelter. Best thing is you don’t worry too much about damaging it.

I’ll probably use the one above on the WRT if the long term weather forecast looks okay (and my current bout of achilles tendonitis has gone :cry: )

Apologies if I’ve already made the above suggestion/points on this thread but it’s been running for a long time now and my memory’s not what it used to be ;-)

Tiger6791

Is that a gas stove in shot?

Burn him!

slugwash
    Free Member

It’s tim_41’s (of this forum). And in mitigation please accept that he’s only a recent convert to this bivi malarkey! ;-)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

didn’t I borrow yours Tiger when the one Stu made for me was struggling in the cold and wind last time we were out??

Feeling the need to weigh all my gear and compete in the weigh off :wink: going under the knife for some lipo tomorrow 8O

IanB
    Free Member

Is this the type of Pole you have in mind TJ?

That made Beth laugh so much she nearly went into labour ;)

IanB
    Free Member

Edit: got 900th post before ianb.

I’m not playing anymore now that you’ve all noticed :P

Also, busy out in the garage trying to extract stuck seat post from frame…

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

So wildcat frame bags, how much? And I read somewhere that wildcat may have her hands full in a short while, is the frame bag making on hold?

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I’m not playing anymore now that you’ve all noticed

haha – we are on to your game!!! good fun though :wink:

Also, busy out in the garage trying to extract stuck seat post from frame

are you trying to save the seat post too?? or can you drill through it apply a bar and twist/pull it out???

valleydaddy
    Free Member

thinking of a head torch for the bivvy site, to save ‘leccy in the bike lights has anybody used one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180598310636&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

saw it in Go Outdoors and looks ideal.

flatfish
    Free Member

Stu had one of those but upgraded now to a petzl tikka with the core battery, the old one didn’t produce a whole lot of light.
    Wouldn’t bother with bike lights either as you should be knackered by the end of daylight hours on WRT.

IanB
    Free Member

Wildcat Gear is on hold short term. Plan is for some product development over the next couple of months and then launch properly around the end of May.

Seatpost saga didn’t end well, but I didn’t use a hacksaw to get it out ;)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

ok ta I’ll check those out, just thought the one above was light weight too :wink:

Yes, you’re probably right about not needing lights for WRT, didn’t think that through – still in Winter mode in that it’s dark early. So bring on the weekend and the lighter nights :D

valleydaddy
    Free Member

@IanB let me know if you need field tests undertaken :D

stevemorg2

Pete – I’ve got one of them – not that bright but very small and great to stash away – I’m not sure about having something brighter for the WRT though – looking for a bivi site and water in the dark (if we ride for that long) may be a bit of a pain.

Rik
    Free Member

TJ – thought your tent was 2.6 not 3. You haven’t cottoned to the idea of the bivi,ordering goretex. Useless idea. Sinylon is where it’s at. You can lose the book too :o)

Viewing 40 posts - 881 through 920 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.