Home Forums Chat Forum Seiko 5 servicing

• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Seiko 5 servicing
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve got an old Seiko 5 (6139-7100 with a white face, like the below but much scruffier) that I’m considering getting serviced. Can anyone recommend somewhere good? Not sure if it’s currently working at all, I’m gonna wear it around for a couple of days and see if there’s any life in it.

null

IHN

Also interested, I’ve got a Seiko 5 that’s stopped.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have used this chap before, https://benirvingtimepieces.co.uk/
    He is happy to discuss any repair or work before you send it to him.

CountZero

Deacon & Son in Swindon, Marlborough and Royal Wootton Bassett have in-house watchmakers, they fixed and serviced my Yema Rallygraf, but it wasn’t a cheap job; however, the watch is nearly fifty years old, so a bit more involved getting things like mainsprings.
    https://www.deacons-jewellers.com/tudor.htm
    Regarding the Seiko, installing a new movement may be cheaper than fixing the existing one, they’re not expensive.

Superficial
    Free Member

My Seiko 5 sometimes doesn’t start by itself if it’s stopped (even if the mainspring has some tension). You can give the balance a nudge to restart it.

I have had a lot of fun taking apart my Seiko diving watch and tinkering. You can DIY a lot of the stuff internally. I bought a watch repair set.

breninbeener

@Superficial…can you point me in the right direction? I have two that dont keep time….
    Ian

devash
    Free Member

Generally, the cost of servicing a 5 is more or less near to the cost of a new watch (unless you have some sort of rare / collectible model).

I’ve owned many over the years, they are lovely watches and generally long-lasting / fuss-free but it isn’t economical to service the mechanism, and replacing it with a new mechanism is always the preferred option.

I did get a local watchmaker to replace / regulate the movement on a particularly cherished one (21st birthday present) but including a bracelet polish that repair was over £100. You can pick up a brand new 5 for less than £100 on Amazon and even cheaper than that if you shop around.

Woody
    Free Member

……and that is the issue devash.

I have 3 Seikos that are well overdue a service and asking myself if it’s worth it, especially in view of some of the Heimdallr offerings which are about the same price as a service.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, I thought servicing might be crazy expensive. It’s a shame cos it’s a nice watch, but it’s far from mint and missing the original bracelet.

Semi working ones without the original bracelet seem to go for £150 plus on ebay, mint ones 4-500 quid so I guess it’s a bit collectible. Sadly mine’s not currently working at all, it did a year or so ago but I imagine it’s probably gummed up inside.

ctk

Sou d’s like its worth fixing

dmorts

Slightly off topic but a bit related. I have a Pulsar watch that needs a new battery. Can any watch shop do this and maintain the water resistantance? Or does it have to be sent off to Pulsar/Seiko?

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, I thought servicing might be crazy expensive. It’s a shame cos it’s a nice watch, but it’s far from mint and missing the original bracelet.

Have look on Calibre Corner under the 6139 – a couple of people raised queries about servicing and a few months back somebody was offering to at least source and replace springs. Unfortunately I don’t know where they’re based, how legit they are or how you’d get in contact but maybe the site has a working DM system?

There’s also a price list for servicing by Seiko USA on the site, the April 2020 price they give for the 6139 is $192, I’d guess UK prices would be similar.

IHN

Slightly off topic but a bit related. I have a Pulsar watch that needs a new battery. Can any watch shop do this and maintain the water resistantance? Or does it have to be sent off to Pulsar/Seiko?

If it’s not a waterproof/dive watch, any watch shop should be able to do it. In fact it’s probably pretty easy to do yourself.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Seiko 5 servicing’ is closed to new replies.