Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

Yeah there wasn’t a lot SBW could do once he came on – though he did try.

The ABs never generated any forward momentum as a result of a) not having the ball and b) getting knocked backwards by England when they did. They never got the chances to use tip/pop passes like against Ireland. Barrett’s inclusion didn’t boost the lineout (though he saved a try by running down May) and they missed Cane’s work around the breakdown. I think they also missed a few wiser heads like Ben Smith and if SBW had started they might have got some more go-forward.

England kicked long very well and followed up with good chases so there were few chances to run it back well. Apart from the few poor box kicks by Young it was nearly flawless. England looked very fit – way fitter than Ireland – plus they slowed things down enough for a breather. NZ were never gonna run them off the pitch.

Bring on the Welsh/Boks…..

Drac

Suddenly realised I’m working an extra night on Friday night so that’s me struggling to watch the final. 😴

DanW
    Free Member

“Ardie Savea’s 58th-minute try ended the longest ever period of a RWC match where New Zealand had failed to score a single point.”

Puts England’s massive performance in to perspective (if it wasn’t already obvious!)

mindmap3
    Free Member

Apparently Rugby Australia have been urged to splash the cash and get EJ back.

It’ll be interesting to see if he stick around or does one. He’s done alright out of the last two world cups in terms of improving his CV / employability. I’m guessing that they don’t have the cash to buy him out of his contract.

There’s a few Kiwi’s looking a bit daft in FB. One made some comments yesterday in reference to Lawes being a bit pants (Slightly more sweary though) etc in regards to Retallick not knowing who he was a few years ago. Most have been pretty accepting.

I’m looking forwards to tomorrow’s match. If we do face S.A. next week, I hope we don’t get suckered into a forward dominated game because their pack is pretty monstrous.

It would be good to have an all NH final but then I’d be worried about the welsh boys trying to give Gats the ultimate send of and really raising their game.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ooof!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ben Spencer called up for Willi Heinz.

On the plane to Japan instead of playing for Sarries on Sunday afternoon.

IdleJon

was how tactically inept NZ were

Yep. How many times did they kick possession away while attacking in or near the English 22m? Including one box kick from Smith when he was just out of the 22. I haven’t seen such muddled thinking from a team for a long time, especially not from a NZ team, never mind such poor kicking.

It started with selection though. Scott Barrett is a good player but giving him his first back-row start in a RWC SF? (He’s also a bit of liability in terms of penalties.) And then how did they use him? They didn’t. It wasn’t that he was shut down, he just wasn’t used.

wrightyson
    Free Member

**** yeah!!!!

martinhutch

Watching on catch-up, Wrightyson?

We won’t spoil the result, fella, we know you’re only 2 minutes in.

Kryton57

Hansen offering the reporter outside. Lol.

IdleJon

Hansen offering the reporter outside. Lol.

He’s never come across as the sharpest tool but that’s a bit ridiculous. Lots of Welsh players struggled with his coaching style.

mindmap3
    Free Member

A friend sent me a link to a Wales Online article about how wales can get on over on England in the final…

Not saying that that won’t beat us (more than likely world) buy they appear to have forgotten about S.A. in the morning.

Did seem a bit odd for Hansen to offer to give the journo a rugby education outside. 😂

johndoh
    Free Member

Thought the only disgrace was NZ carping on to the ref like it is a soccer game.

besides Farrell’s play acting as mentioned above, he also wouldn’t shut his mouth when the referee rightly didn’t give either of the disallowed tries. It’s the first time I’ve ever noticed such dissent in a rugby match although granted I don’t watch loads, but usually the decision is respectably accepted.

But still, well done England, an unexpected but fully deserved win today.

anagallis_arvensis

Sweepstake on who pulls out injured this morning? I’m going with a Jiffy Junior accumulator!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sweepstake on who pulls out injured this morning? I’m going with a Jiffy Junior accumulator!

Oh, don’t. I’m known as a pessimist, [although I think I’m just a realist], but your worse than me! I have a fear that JD2 will not look right from the start and go off after 12 minutes (never to play again).

anagallis_arvensis

pedlad

Re the carping to the ref I really meant that it was a noticeable lowering of respect standards towards the ref. Not making a point that England are totally innocent in this respect just that I v much noticed the NZ SH chirping away.

Farrell talking to the ref respectfully as cptn is fine. Play acting (I didn’t see that not saying it didn’t happen) is not.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

TJ Perenara asked Farrell if he was playing in the Premier League, rather than the Rugby World Cup semifinal.

Farrell doesn’t talk to the ref respectfully. He disagrees and interrupts in a whiney voice. He has no idea how to speak to referees. He should take a look at AWJ or how Warburton used to do it.

gauss1777
    Free Member

The tension is relieved by everyone else’s posts, so keep them up.
    Obviously I’d love Wales to win the whole tournament. But, I’d be happy just to make the final. I’d even be happy to beat NZ for third place. Unfortunately I can’t see any of these things happening.
    However, before the 6nations I could see Wales winning with a bit of good fortune. And before this World Cup could only see Wales winning, if England beat NZ in the semi and Wales playing them in the final …
    So the dream goes on. For the next 80 minutes it could just happen. Warren Gatland, AWJ, …
    C’mon Wales!!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Good luck Wales

spekkie
    Free Member

Springbok shirts on – off to the bar to watch the Bokke!

Hope today is as exciting as yesterday!

anagallis_arvensis

Farrell doesn’t talk to the ref respectfully. He disagrees and interrupts in a whiney voice. He has no idea how to speak to referees. He should take a look at AWJ or how Warburton used to do it.

Instead he’s a carbon copy of Biggar! Both ****, both remarkably tough competitors, I like them.

Kryton57

Cmon Wales!

anagallis_arvensis

Wales win the singing, lets leave it their shall we!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Instead he’s a carbon copy of Biggar

Yeah but Biggar’s not the skipper is he?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Interesting re the chat about the big England pack; the one yesterday was only 4kg heavier than the welsh one, which is heavier than the Boks.

mindmap3
    Free Member

This Halfpenny chap isn’t a bad replacement for Williams is he? 😂

anagallis_arvensis

Interesting re the chat about the big England pack; the one yesterday was only 4kg heavier than the welsh one, which is heavier than the Boks.

As Shane said, I was 5foot 9 in the programme!! No way is thecwales pack as big as SA orcNZ.

anagallis_arvensis

How is that not a pen?

tails
    Free Member

SA are effective if a little boring.

spekkie
    Free Member

A game of penalties….

martinhutch

Ouch, North is done.

tails
    Free Member

Was North a pundit earlier in the tournament?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Bollocky bollocks, North was looking really good.

South Africa on top and Wales creaking, but a really unconvincing win is just what Wales need.

Kryton57

I’m with Wales to win this.  S.A. don’t look particularly convincing tbh, and are making a mess of a few things.

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

I appreciate not if you are Welsh or South African …. but crikey it is a boring game of rugby. The first 27 minutes seemed purely kicking.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales scrum will crumble with Lewis at 3.

brownsauce
    Free Member

S.A. looked a bit sharper to me in the 1st half

anagallis_arvensis

I appreciate not if you are Welsh or South African …. but crikey it is a boring game of rugby. The first 27 minutes seemed purely kicking.

Yep, although Wales are merely trying to hang on, SA would want to have built a good lead by now.
    Never seen Moriarty take so many lineouts!!

pedlad

Wales for the win…..after breaking themselves ahead of the final after running into those monstrous Boks for 80min ?😉

Viewing 40 posts - 2,161 through 2,200 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.