Home Forums Chat Forum Recommend me a Chimney Sweep kit

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a Chimney Sweep kit
  • whiterabbit84
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend me a chimney rod / brush set and a decent supplier online. Looking for a kit with flexible enough rods to go into a flue hatch – 6 inch flue, multi fuel stove.

Thanks

rmacattack
    Free Member

neilnevill
    Free Member

I’d suggest a soot water / rotary type as they clean very well and the rods are flexible enough to do tight bends. I won’t suggest an actual make/kit though, I’ve not had mine long enough to know it’s good yet. A kit with rods that lock together not screw is a bit quicker and safer, a head with replaceable bristles/strings is nice. Then it comes down to quality of rods and connectors and you can spend between £30 and £300.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have used the flexible ones for my last two sweeps , far better than the previous drain rod system i used.

Longevity im not sure but what i will say is be sure you have enough for your height in the chimney – i was 2 rods short the first time due to a steep peaked roof – lucky you can buy single rods.

Watch out – the cheaper ones are just crimped to the nylon.

The ones i bought were more expensive and were crimped and Drilled/pinned

Also be sure you have enough length – i was 2 rods short and had to buy 2 extra single rods to do the full sweep – and i remember the postage being quite pricy for just 2 rods.

slowoldman

Meanwhile in Germany:

dovebiker

I have the Screwfix one that screw-together – found to my cost I wasn’t twisting them enough when cleaning my chimney when the brush came free. Managed to shove it to the top with the end of the rod and had to climb onto my roof, remove the cowling to retrieve it. Would definitely look at ‘lockable’ next time.

sweepy
    Free Member

Could you be more specific to save me doing my own research Trailrat and Neil, I’m looking at the chimney cyclone set, what did you go for?

wwaswas

Whatever they’re using plus a go-pro:

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://chimneyrodsdirect.co.uk/Semi-Pro-Flexible-Power-Sweepings-for-Liners-Duel-Use-Hand-Po-Power-Sweep-Standard.htm

was these ones says my emails.

see they have a pin through compared to the crimped ones…

i wont go back to the threaded ones – with these i dont even need to take out my stove , much cleaner than using the threaded cheapo jobs out of screwfix.

sweepy
    Free Member

Ta mate, do you use a drill or hand and corkscrew brush.
    Those ones linked look threaded, that right?

neilnevill
    Free Member

I can’t remember what mine are, if I remember when I’m next in the garage and have the car out so I can reach where they are stored, I’ll have a look.

From memory I paid ~£85 for a set and an extra rod or 2. They have glued, crimped and pinned brass, screw on connectors (I didn’t follow the advice simply by mistake. Screwed is fine, just keep the drill turning the right way at all times!!) Yes you use a drill and keep feeding the rods at all times when turning, or they will heat and wear where they touch the flue. My rods were sold as higher grade/pro grade and claimed more resistant to heat/wear. They look very very like those linked… But screwed connectors. I’ve only used twice so can’t comment on life, just decided to pay that bit more to hopefully avoid a right pita that retrieving a broken cheap rod would be. Feed the rods in with drill at a slow speed, then come back out with the drill on high speed. I sweep with stove in, through the hatch on the pipe above the stove, baffle out to let the soot fall to the grate, open door and remove when done. All very easy, but I need a spanner to undo the rods as they tighten together firmly…a pin connector is faster.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Oh and I actually feed the rods through a foot of plumbing waste pipe which I’ve cut a slot into (rods through slot, pipe into flue pipe, rods out the waste pipe and up the flue). This allows me to tape round the pipe/hatch and to connect my vac on the end of the waste pipe…. Absolutely no chance of any soot getting out anywhere. Still need a dust sheet to lay the rods on as they come out, but that is all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Chimney Sweep kit’ is closed to new replies.