Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,715 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • dantsw13

Reluctantly delayed our Greek Sailing until 2022. Whilst I feel my personal risk is low, the chances of being stuck in Greek quarantine for 14 days are not.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think you’re on the money Dan –
    Looking at the infection rates in France/Italy/etc – they’re really low right now (around 1000 per day) i think as soon as we put them all on the green list all these destinations are going to slap a quarantine requirement on all incoming Brits.
    Does anyone really think other nations will be happy to receive Brits coming from a country with the projected 50k+ infections per day over the summer?

grahamt1980

I think that is the bit that people haven’t realised yet. Why on earth would any country want a bunch of potential plague rats coming over for a holiday.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Delta variant is everywhere now – so makes no difference….
    EU is several weeks behind us and will have the same wave

freeridenick
    Free Member

Im off to France for 4 weeks over the summer so bring on the no quarantine policy!

grahamt1980

Agreed that it will be everywhere but adding more infected people into the mix is never going to help.

freeagent
    Free Member

I think that is the bit that people haven’t realised yet. Why on earth would any country want a bunch of potential plague rats coming over for a holiday.

Recent evidence from Portugal backs this up as well – Portugal go on the UK green list – two weeks later infection rates start going up – Portugal comes back off the green list…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Does anyone know about testing in Italy – currently there’s 5day quarantine with test at end in place then obviously for return flights too.

I’m hopeful my flights are going to be bumped and we can shift everything to next year but that’s looking increasingly unlikely.

Trying to find somewhere local to where we’re staying is proving difficult though I assume that’s because my googling is in English to be honest. Of course depending on the quarantine requirements I may have to arrange accommodation elsewhere anyhow.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Don’t know much about Italy but hopefully they might remove the Quarantine like Germany did last week.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

To be honest whilst it’s inconvenient, the quarantine bothers me a lot less than using the airports!

james-rennie

Is there any clarity around the criteria for which countries are on red/green/amber lists?
    Is it their covid rate, or their rate of increase, or ‘variants of concern’? Or is it just bojo/uk.gov make it up as they go along?
    My wife has still got her booking for Netherlands in late August, but that’s looking at least a ballache and at worst impossible; so she was thinking why not just pick a country with similar infection rates to UK, that’ll probably be a goer? Personally I think EU hols are still off the cards.
    We’re doing week long house swap with her sister, early august, we go up to Markinch, they come down to Twickenham. Last week of school hols we’re at Fritton lake in Norfolk; to be honest I’m not missing going abroad for hols, there’s plenty of nice places around the UK

dantsw13

For my Greek sailing, the worst bit is the kids having to do a LFT every day as we move islands. Any positive would be a 14 day Greek quarantine. Considering they are both in plague pits (sorry, secondary school) until the day we go, that’s too high a risk for me , & the charter company Nautilus Yachting , have allowed us to roll it.

My mate with a canal boat has offered me it for the week instead, so it’s a no brainer.

Not good for my day job with BA though, as this will be happening a lot.

masterdabber
    Free Member

We’re still debating what to do. We’ve a house in southwest France which we haven’t been to for around a year.

We want to get back there to check it’s OK and do some basic maintenance. The water is all drained down so hope that will be alright when we eventually return.

We’ve got someone who does basic grass cutting but there’s a load more that needs bush whacking around the trees and big shrubs. We understand that it’s got very high in those areas.

If it wasn’t for looking after the house we wouldn’t bother.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Delta variant is everywhere now – so makes no difference….
    EU is several weeks behind us and will have the same wave

This is my concern, we’re supposed to me heading to France on the tunnel 4 weeks today, the UK is reporting 32k cases a day, that’ll be 64k in 6 days, and who knows where it will go after that, especially after the 19th. The press are talking about 100k a day being massive, I think it’ll be higher, but it’s not the 100k people who’ve been tested, it’s the hundreds of thousands of vaccinated people who are asymptotic and untested who are enjoying ‘normal life’ again.

Yes, the EU is going “let it rip” at some point in the near future when they’re ready, but they’ve got to be looking at us closely, France especially, 12m Brit visited France in 2017, even if 6m Brits are dying for a Holiday or holding onto deferred bookings all turn up this Summer whilst we’re going through this massive post-vaccine 3rd wave, even with some testing in place how many of them will have Covid whilst they’re in France? 100k, 200k a million? How many of them are going to be unvaccinated kids? half, a third? How good are Holiday makers are social distancing? Based on my experiences of being the Alps two weeks ago, not very good.

Yes they’ve got Delta, and yes they’re going to remove restrictions soon, but after today the trickle of tourists will turn into a flood from a country that’s probably going to have one of the highest concentrations of Covid carriers in the world.

I hope we get to go, the risk to us is minimal, less then being at home frankly, but I could hardly complain if Macron looks at the numbers and puts the UK on their red list for a few months.

But what do I know? They may well put us on the green list, madder shit has happed during covid.

freeagent
    Free Member

but I could hardly complain if Macron looks at the numbers and puts the UK on their red list for a few months.

French General Election next April – which approach works better for the home crowd? (genuine question – as the French are also trying to balance economy vs health)
    However they’re a couple of months behind us with the vaccination rates – so they’re going to want to try and supress a summer wave as long as possible.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think the French people will want “Liberté” the vibe I got was they accepted lockdown restrictions, but they really, really don’t like them. Whether that extents to Tourists I don’t know.

Economically they’re the most visited Country in the world for Tourism and we’re their biggest market and Macron got a lot of flack in that 7-10 period a few weeks ago when he put the UK on the Red list.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Will be sending my 14yr old daughter to Russia by herself (With team) for 2 weeks in the middle of august as part of a competition. Just sorting the Visa at the moment. What could go wrong?

weeksy

She could get abducted by the russian mafia, sold into slavery working as a call-girl and be hooked on crack ?

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

But i have a certain set of skills……

colp

At the moment, France are classing anyone who had an AZ Indian made vaccine as unvaccinated.
    I’m not sure if that means you can’t enter France, or you’d be made to quarantine.
    We are supposed to be driving to Austria later this month (Dover/Calais ferry), we won’t be stopping at all in France but unsure whether it’s going to be possible (we both had first jabs from the listed Indian batches)

P-Jay
    Free Member

At the moment, France are classing anyone who had an AZ Indian made vaccine as unvaccinated.
    I’m not sure if that means you can’t enter France, or you’d be made to quarantine.
    We are supposed to be driving to Austria later this month (Dover/Calais ferry), we won’t be stopping at all in France but unsure whether it’s going to be possible (we both had first jabs from the listed Indian batches)

My made in India first jab didn’t stop me visiting France. I don’t believe France or the EU have actually said this, just the UK press assumed it and ran with it, it’s “something and nothing” really.

Edukator
    Free Member

The Spanish border was on TF1 news, Barcalona is nearly as bad as the UK for Delta but the gendarmes were being lenient letting one guy with only one jab through in front of the cameras. He commented there are only enough of them to check one in three cars.

We’ve been politely asked not to visit Spain but there’s no ban. We’ve also been asked in sterner terms to get vaccinated.

Sandwich

We’re an Amber country for France currently. There is a requirement for 7 days isolation on arrival in France for Amber list residents without a vaccination record. Details are here

flatpack

France are talking about moving the UK to their green list rather than red – BBC News

cloudnine
    Free Member

Little Miss Cloudnine is due to go to a World Championships in Denmark on the 29th July..
    They are currently allowing double vaccinated travellers from the UK with no quarruntine on arrival who are fully vaccinated plus child under 15 to travel with parent..
    Everything is booked and now its squeeky bum time waiting to see if the whole of the UK gets put on the plague list and barred from the whole of Europe..

colp

Little bit more info on the entry requirements to France and the Indian made AZ vaccine, hopefully there’ll be a definitive answer soon

https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/When-will-Covishield-vaccine-be-accepted-under-France-s-travel-rules

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

@oldtennisshoes – word from DFDS today, as the Netherlands have gone back into restrictions, they’re happy to give us credit to book for 2022.

Super stuff. 👍🏻

dantsw13

A week before my BA flights to Greece, I applied for & received a voucher valid for 2 years. Thats on a cheapie non-refundable ticket, which is pretty decent IMHO. The flight is still going and I could have gone but chose not to.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, good service that.

oldtennisshoes

@nobeerinthefridge – excellent. Brittany Ferries still have £150 of my cash which I suspect I may never see again. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
    Not sure our planned trip to Mallorca in October is looking likely though.

Ewan
    Free Member

On some of expat facebook groups, various people are saying they’ve travelled via eurotunnel to france with the indian vaccine batch number without any issues.

I’m going to take a punt that it will be fine…

P-Jay
    Free Member

On some of expat facebook groups, various people are saying they’ve travelled via eurotunnel to france with the indian vaccine batch number without any issues.

I’m going to take a punt that it will be fine…

As above, I travelled to France with the ‘wrong’ AZ jab no problem.

I’m hoping to hear from Welsh Gov tomorrow I can repeat the trick next month.

mrmo
    Free Member

As it is looking more likely, what is the best way to sort out the pre departure test. I will be driving down to Switzerland. Which means one test to get out of the UK, which I can sort locally. One test on day 2 when I get back which shouldn’t be an issue.

But I also need a test before I start the return journey and it is this test I could do with some advice about.

soobalias
    Free Member

dont know whats required for switxerland specfically…
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/how-to-find-the-cheapest-private-coronavirus-tests-for-travel/#uk

order the test, take it with you, arrange a video call appointment, get certificate

cheers_drive

I’m driving the family to Denmark next week via the Harwich Zeebruge ferry. Not particularly looking forward to it but my wife hasn’t seen her Danish family for a year. So much mixed info about what is required by the the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark.
    She’s stressing big time as infection rates are rocketing here in East cambs having been relatively lucky before.
    Young kids at school and nursery, although not today as we’re all isolating yet again as everytime the youngest gets the typical nursery cough and runny nose we have to get her tested.

patagonian
    Free Member

Holiday booked in Madeira for early September just been cancelled, only reason give was “due to covid”.
    Slightly surprised as its on the green list but at least we have been offered a range of options including full refund.

julians
    Free Member

Sat in the airport lounge waiting for Ryanair flight to majorca, fingers crossed it doesn’t go red before we return!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

fingers crossed it doesn’t go red before we return!

Don’t worry about getting back from mallorca, it’s getting in that might be a problem by the time you land as the blame for a global Nth wave is being lain at Boris’ feet.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/coronavirus-news-live-covid-vaccines-b1885144.html

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

flight to majorca

Meant to be there next month, haven’t been to our place since 2019 so would like to go and make sure it is OK, but cases there are going up quickly so Spanish govt may impose more restrictions and Bosser may turn it red. We’re vaccinated, kids aren’t though. watching closely before deciding…

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m hoping to hear from Welsh Gov tomorrow I can repeat the trick next month.

3 days later in the topsy turvy world of international travel, our First Minister, begrudgingly agreed to allow quarantine free travel for the double jabbed and their kids, France made noises about making the UK Green on their list and ‘sources’ hinted the same for the UK and why not, our cases are higher, but expectedly so and France is really flying with their jabs now, a cautious but reasonable position.

fast forward a few days and the Telegraph are reporting Ministers are having an urgent review meeting on Monday to discuss putting France, and possibly the whole of mainland Europe on the rest list due to a rise of the Beta strain, that old ‘South Africa’ variant we all forgot about between Alpha and Delta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 1,715 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.