Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,698 total)
  • Realistically, EU holidaying by late summer?
  • Premier Icon WildHunter2009

The plan was Perth, Australia for a family Christmas. Looks like they are handling the virus pretty well, just not sure they will be welcoming countries that are not in for holidays! On the bright side that holiday is definitely the equivalent of a new bike!!

I think the worry for everyone will be a second wave coinciding with the onset of winter and flu season.

Premier Icon Sui
    Free Member

Spain are winding down the restrictions by second half of May, so you never know! We’ve also got a France camp thing booked end August, but are not holding out for it. Depsoit is paid, but not the full amount thankfully as im not convinced insurers will pay out if travel restictions are lifted in the UK.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

I would consider driving somewhere but I wouldn’t sit in a plane for 3+ hours in the current circumstances.

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m hoping to get to our place in N Wales at the end of July but who knows?!
    I’m pretty sure that flying to the Med is out this year (much to my twins’ disappointment as they were due to go in June).

Premier Icon NewRetroTom

Here in France things are supposed to being gradually opened up from 11 May. Schools will start going back soon or immediately after that – youngest kids first.
    I think the situation by the summer might not be too bad – any travel that can be done without getting too close to strangers should be ok, so driving should be fine. I suspect there will be checkpoints where they are checking temperatures etc. to avoid ill people travelling/make people thing about the risk a bit more.
    Mass events might not restart until summer 2021 though, as they are clearly incompatible with avoiding mixing with strangers.
    Those who say “I’m not going anywhere until there’s a vaccine” – you do realise that it isn’t a given that there will ever be a viable vaccine? We may just have to learn to live with this.

Premier Icon mrhoppy

It is my 40th this year and I was going to have a week away in the Pyrenees or Alps. I’ve sacked off the idea off now, either I won’t get there at all or if I do I’ll be so short of skills I’ll be a liability. Just bought a road bike instead, if I can’t have skill I’ll build up the fitness levels and I’ll never complain about riding in the rain again (for a bit at least).

Premier Icon footflaps

I reckon UK based holidays by the autumn, can’t see European travel opening up this year.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

you do realise that it isn’t a given that there will ever be a viable vaccine?

I doubt that – this thing isn’t a particularly cunning coronavirus, it’s just a virulent one.

Premier Icon ampthill

My take is this

UK internal tourism and self catering will come back first. Me self isolating in a house in Devon isn’t really that different from doing it here. But I could see the sea on bike rides and walks which I would happily pay for

Going abroad is whole different ball game. You reliant on:

This country letting you travel internally
    The destination Country country allowing internal travel
    The destination country accepting visitors from the UK (that I think will be a huge stumbling block, we aren’t doing well here are we)
    The UK letting you return from that country

Then there is travel. I can see once the above is sorted the Tunnel will take you in your car

But flight seems unimaginable to me at the moment. Can you imagine standing at check in looking at say 800 other people hoping that non of them cough then squeezing into a tube with them.

I bet some one is working on a plastic bag that you sit in connected to your own air vent. It will then of course take an hour to load the plane. So I think flights will cost more and take more time

Or maybe I just haven’t woken up yet and got my optimism going

Premier Icon mehr
    Free Member

Here’s the latest tidbits on the EU external borders reopening borders

Mtbbeds have already said they’ll transfer to next year but they’re just waiting on something official to come down so insurance will kick in

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

But flight seems unimaginable to me at the moment.

We’re booked on Newcastle – Ijmuiden ferry late july, that won’t happen either, never mind flights.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

Spain are winding down the restrictions by second half of May, so you never know!

I can’t imagine they’ll be in a particular hurry to let in Brits, though – the videos of drunken Brits belligerently ignoring the lockdown restrictions in Benidorm was only a month ago…

Premier Icon scotroutes

Money will, eventually, talk.

Premier Icon oldtennisshoes

We’re booked on Newcastle – Ijmuiden ferry late july, that won’t happen either

Us to but in early July.
    Aviemore is looking favourite if we go anywhere this summer.

Premier Icon Sui
    Free Member

mogrim
    Subscriber
    Spain are winding down the restrictions by second half of May, so you never know!

I can’t imagine they’ll be in a particular hurry to let in Brits, though – the videos of drunken Brits belligerently ignoring the lockdown restrictions in Benidorm was only a month ago…

tourism €€€ will let the knobbish behaviour fade to obscurity..

Also, nice big sign outside Denbies Vineyard – OPENING IN MAY – bit optomistic..

Premier Icon kilo

Due to be in Canada early June, fairly certain that’s not going to happen.

Hopefully will get to our place in Kerry for a few weeks late autumn and winter – Road cycling and mountain walks holiday rather than mtb and sun then.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

tourism €€€ will let the knobbish behaviour fade to obscurity..

Eventually, of course. But I think the Spanish government will be allowing certain countries in before others.

Premier Icon kilo

Eventually, of course. But I think the Spanish government will be allowing certain countries in before others.

Natural to concentrate on other EU member states first.

Premier Icon doomanic

Trip to Madrid for the wife’s 50th in early May has been cancelled, obviously. Ryanair have started the refund process, although I don’t expect it to be quick. The hotel was booked with no cancellation, do the current travel restrictions have any bearing on that?

Also supposed to be going to Cyprus in mid-July. Not holding my breath on that one.

Premier Icon Spud

Having just put the caravan on the drive for its annual service tomorrow I am thinking we may end up holidaying where it is. Had New Year cancelled as muggins here broke his leg, Easter and Whit for obvious reasons and hoping late July-mid-August in Cornwall might be OK but it’s not our decision so wait and see. Rather we get through this and come out the other side than push it. it’ll be there next year.

Premier Icon failedengineer

Got a refund from Jet2 pretty smartish for a holiday to Fuertaventura which was booked for Easter. We’ve rebooked to Corfu for the last 2 weeks in August, but only paid a deposit on this one. I think that Jet2 will have to decide whether the holiday will go ahead before the balance is due in June, so I figured that it was worth a punt. Greece are making positive noises about opening up for late Summer.

Premier Icon gobuchul
    Free Member

Travel within the UK. Help the local communities recover.

In Northumberland things are not good. Here in Seahouses we are totally reliant on tourism. How many of the businesses will survive this, is anyone’s guess.

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Travel within the UK. Help the local communities recover.

This is a nice sentiment, but I really struggle with the concept of paying a similar amount for two weeks in a holiday cottage in Scotland as two weeks all inclusive in the Med. I was shocked at the prices I recently found on Air B&B for places around Loch Lomond 🙁

Premier Icon Spud

I wonder if when it does calm down schools will allow time out during terms to facilitate family holidays, I’m sure some will say we’ve been together through all this, but a lot of us have continued to work full time and its close to normal contact with family. A different place and go and put some money into local economies would be beneficial all round.

Premier Icon Del

For those worried about getting refunds – no recourse through credit card?

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

I wonder if when it does calm down schools will allow time out during terms to facilitate family holidays

I think they’ll be trying hard to catch up on the months of work that’s been missed.
    So probably doubtful.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

This is a nice sentiment, but I really struggle with the concept of paying a similar amount for two weeks in a holiday cottage in Scotland as two weeks all inclusive in the Med. I was shocked at the prices I recently found on Air B&B for places around Loch Lomond 🙁

Chances are you won’t have the choice.

I cant think of a worse holiday than all inclusive in some Spanish resort full of Brits tbh, but each to their own.

Premier Icon eskay

Del
    Subscriber
    For those worried about getting refunds – no recourse through credit card?

I gave up in Barclaycard, it was taking weeks to get a response and their wording looked like I would not get a refund for the accommodation because the accommodation did not cancel (I could not get there because flights had stopped).

Like I said on first page, accommodation owners have allowed us to choose another date so am going for that instead (and taken advantage of cheap easyJet flights for next Feb)

Edit: I should also add that our travel insurance would have covered is but I had overlapping policies which meant paying 2x excess per person!!

Premier Icon b33k34

I think that’s a no. (Guardian liveblog)

Social distancing will likely be needed until a vaccine is available for Covid-19, according to the chief medical officer for England Chris Whitty. He told the daily news briefing he is hopeful for a vaccine within a year but there is a long way to go between having a vaccine and widespread immunity. It would therefore be “wholly unrealistic” to think that restrictions would be relaxed any time soon and some “very socially disruptive” measures would almost certainly have to remain in force for the rest of the year, he said. Whitty added that coronavirus isn’t going to be eradicated, so we must accept we will be working with it globally for the foreseeable future.

Premier Icon fossy

We have a caravan in North Wales, only 70 miles from our house. Getting back to it this year is unlikely – literally opened it up, cleaned it, then went back again and closed up the next week. Welsh not happy having anyone visit. We can and did isolate when we arrived to open up before the lock down.

At least the site has said they are cutting the grass – that’s usully left for owners – will be a jungle if not.

That’s £4k down the drain.

Premier Icon eskay

Front page of BBC news site at the moment has news feed.

5m – social restrictions to remain for rest of year

21m – vaccine could be available this year

No one knows!!

Premier Icon P-Jay
    Free Member

News outlets always go for the most eye grabbing things but tonight’s briefing was a little starker than I imagined it would be.

I suppose it’s obvious really we can’t eradicate it, it’s just too contagious. I guess we always knew how this would end, either a cure/vaccine or herd immunity with pray it doesn’t mutate. Or very starkly a kind of terrible evolution.

Ultimately, with all these field hospitals coming online and a vaccine unlikely before the end of 2020 we’re back where we were when Lock Down started, we’re slowing the spread so the NHS can cope. That could mean anything from pretty much normal life but self-isolating if you develop symptoms, or 24 lockdown and you don’t leave your home unless you’re buying food, or a continuous changing state depending on numbers.

The economist in me thinks the Government has a terrible decision to make. If we stay in lock down for another 8 months we’re going to need to come up with a really very spectacular economic solution and there’s no point it being on a national level, it would need to be global which means getting the US to act in everyone’s interest and not trying to use its size to bully the rest of the world we’re going to have to create trillions of pounds, dollars, yen, euros and everything else without it causing huge inflation or destroying our pensions and we’re going to have to do it in weeks. The average timescale for a single trade deal between nations is 28 months.

I’d bet now that every leader in the world is look at graph that shows a Great Depression that may never end at one end that means millions dead from poverty and millions dead at the other from the Virus and there’s a dozen of the smartest minds in their country trying to find somewhere in the middle that avoids both.

I’ve been pretty bullish about holiday this year, and I’m still fairly confident that it will be possible to travel for pleasure at some point this year, but a better question might be do you want to? Personally my immediate family has been exposed to Covid and I’m very confident that we’re in the lucky group that get little or no symptoms, but even so, I wouldn’t be thinking about flying anywhere this year.

Premier Icon professor_fate
    Free Member

I can’t see how the population will accept lockdown in its current form for the test of the year, and likely beyond – something has to give as the economy can’t afford it indefinitely.
    “Improvise,adapt and overcome” is a mantra i’ve met over the decades and now seems a pressing time to explore it fully.
    Necessity is the mother of invention, so they say – well surely it’s necessary now.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Have you been watching too many 80s action movies?

Premier Icon poly
    Free Member

I know it’s pretty ridiculous that they want to charge you that much to be cramped in some apparthotel drinking cheap booze eating mass produced grub right next to other annoying brits getting fat arsed and even more obnoxious when you Could have a fortnight in peace and tranquillity in Scotland. If you looked beyond the stereotypical locations you could even do it much cheaper than L Lomond. Although you may find that supply and demand is not in your favour right now as all the people who usually holiday here have already got bookings before the “can’t get to the med” panic begins.

Premier Icon markgraylish
    Free Member

@P-Jay +1

You neatly encapsulated my feelings.

Premier Icon seadog101

Hmm…

All knocked into a cocked hat here. We have ferry and flights booked for Germany mid August, but work has knackered it all. I should have been on my leave at that time, but as I have been held on the ship, my rotation is all out of sync now any way. Hoping that the insurance (I took out as soon as I booked) will pay up if I can’t get a refund.

Luckily nothing else booked, ie hotel.

Premier Icon frankconway

P-Jay, generally in agreement with your summary.
    As long as trump is president the US will become more isolationist and continue failing to see/understand the global perspective.
    How long before he has a pop at the World Bank given their recent statements?
    As for a way out, vaccine development is the big solution but there is no guarantee that will happen; if it doesn’t, we’ll be closer to the abyss.

Premier Icon mogrim
    Free Member

I know it’s pretty ridiculous that they want to charge you that much to be cramped in some apparthotel drinking cheap booze eating mass produced grub right next to other annoying brits getting fat arsed and even more obnoxious when you Could have a fortnight in peace and tranquillity in Scotland.

Each to their own, I guess. But a fortnight at a 4* hotel next to the beach, with a kids’ club, organised activities every day, no need to think about cooking, guaranteed good weather… Not something I’d want to do every year, but I’m not so snobbish as to not see its appeal as a stress-free family holiday.

Premier Icon Kryton57

We took the former attitude ^^ until urgently defaulting to a last minute all-inc in Ibiza one year, then realising the appeal mogrim alludes to.

At the risk of sounding snobbish, for a working family with kids it is indeed a great, easy, sunny relaxer.  The key is to find a location where you aren’t surrounded by the trailer trash who want to fill themselves with beer all day and get obnoxious during the kids entertainment at night.  We found a lovely place with more middle class people – it means paying a bit extra but it’s not crowded, superbly staffed, clean and everyone is polite and friendly.  In theory we’d be going back for our 3rd holiday there this year – we’ve so for been each alternate year.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,698 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.