Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 689 total)
  • PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150
  • wicki
    Free Member

Fingers crossed chap!

Mine arrived seatpost is not a tight fit but snugs up with clamp it does not rattle around like yous.

swdan
    Free Member

Yeah, hope it works out. I’m supposed to be taking my build slow and sourcing cheap bits but did decide to rush order a seat post and headset to make sure it’s all OK. Currently waiting on the seat post but hopefully all good as have grown quite fond out it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

so, P-X reassured me with this

John Scholey (Staff) Posted On: 08 June 2015 11:51 AM
    Hi

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have raised this with the management, and requested that the remaining frames are take down for quality check. We’re currently awaiting confirmation from the head of the Design team with regards to this.

In the meantime, please send the frameset back to us, following the returns policy as outlined in the following link.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/help/returns-and-refunds

Please fill out the on-line form and submit a copy with the item you return to us.

It will allow us to process your case efficiently. We will update you when we receive your item.

Kind Regards

and today, the replacement frame came

still painfully out of spec, and damaged to boot 😯 . Bravo, Planet X, Bravo. They haven’t checked my replacement (which I specifically asked them to do) let alone the rest of the stock. Or, maybe they have, and sloppy drop-it-in-and-waggle-it-about tolerances and damage are acceptable?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

And now I’m in a grump having got excited about it it’ll be going back and refund time! Best return the £300’s worth of stuff from CRC and the bits from Ribble. Shame Mr MC (crashtestmonkey) was excited about helping and teaching me build it. Clearly invest in a company who check their product prior to sending it out! I’m not shimming or “fixing” something that’s brand new.. That’s just stupid! Back to the CX drawing board hunt … Anyone got any other ideas?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

That looks about bob on surely? Considering it’s not clamped

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It waggles and waggles a lot still!

wicki
    Free Member

To be honest that looks the same as mine and i would not expect anything tighter, many a time i have let my seat clamp off on a bike to have the stem fall,

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

We currently have 11 bikes in the garage. I’ve been riding over 20 years. I have NEVER had a seatpost that can be waggled and rattled around inside a seat tube for its whole length. Sure I could crank up a clamp and make it fit, but then there’d only be 15mm of seat tube (the bit under the clamp) supporting it, and even P-X apparently recommend against using shims.

Maybe I have more exacting standards than those who have bought one and have been happy winding up a clamp, but that’s not made to any tolerance I’d accept and the fact its got a clear gouge in it suggests either it wasn’t inspected, or they think that’s good enough to use as a replacement to satisfy an unhappy customer.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I tried a 31.6 seat post in my frame last night (thought I’d better bite the bullet and give it a go) and whilst not super snug it seems OK. Its actually a similar fit to my Uncle John and I’ve never had any problems with that frame either. In fact once a bit of grit and road crap gets worked in there over several rides I’m sure it will be an even tighter fit. 😀

cookeaa

Out of interest crashtestmonkeywhat size were both frames?

it occurs to me that the seat tube might be the same internally butted ptofile used for all sizes and parted off at whatever point the frame size required… Hence smaller sizes end up out of spec?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

It is a small.

wicki
    Free Member

A quick search can reveal that px have had one or to issues along this line …..
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/seat-post-inner-diameter-too-big-onone-scandal

I think if your unhappy go for the full refund as you will never trust it.

cookeaa

Hmmm…

Anyone got this issue with any of the bigger sizes? Mine is a large, just took the shim/post/clamp off measured with my utterly uncalibrated calipers, came out on the high side at ~31.76 and there does seem to be a bit of waggle on the shim now I look at it…

The clamp seems to hold it securely but I am not so sure I want to ride this setup TBH, as my build is taking time and I like the frame otherwise I have just ordered this 31.8mm post as a possible “fix”…

I shall post it’s success or failure in due course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

it occurs to me that the seat tube might be the same internally butted ptofile used for all sizes and parted off at whatever point the frame size required… Hence smaller sizes end up out of spec?

I doubt that!

But I have seen a manufacturer shim out a crown race with insulating tape…

Northwind

They do these as a full build, don’t they? So what are the odds none of their builders has put a seatpost in a frame and gone “well that’s not right”.

cookeaa

I’m 90% sure mine sizes up at 31.8 now and a tenner to find out for sure seems acceptable to me.
    I shall report my findings next week.

wicki
    Free Member

I just went to check my other two frames a trek cobia and a revolution country traveler and there is no difference both seats drop the moment you let off the seat clamp and both are to similar tolerances.

cookeaa

Northwind – Member
    They do these as a full build, don’t they? So what are the odds none of their builders has put a seatpost in a frame and gone “well that’s not right”.

Quite possible, but maybe it’s only the silver ones that are out of spec, Friday afternoon jobs, has anyone ordered a full build in boring silver rather than stealth black or euro-fluro green?

Anyone who bought a full build noticed any slop?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Measured mine with a caliper and its a solid 31.8something.

Northwind not sure what you’re saying? That because these frames are getting built by someone paid to build them and punt them out that I’m wrong and the spec is obviously acceptable, or that they are shipping similarly poorly specced full builds that buyers won’t be aware of as the clamps will have been cranked down and pinched up the top of the seat tube?

If that’s built to tolerance then I guess I’m returning my Orange, Dialled, Lapierre, Giant, Cube, Saracen and Konas that are all obviously under specced…

A 31.8 may well fit and work. Sadly that’s not what P-X are selling it as.

And I get that the gouge is cosmetic and would be hidden under the clamp, but this is a replacement frame FFS you might think they’d make a bit of effort, especially as they’ve supposedly pulled and inspected ALL their frames?

As you say Wicki, I’ve lost what little faith I had in P-X. And as I’ve said it’s not just drop straight in, it’s waggle from side to side and rattle full length against inside of tube.

Northwind

crashtestmonkey – Member

that they are shipping similarly poorly specced full builds

This. It’ll be like the C456s with the wrong bolts, every customer that notices it find that PX/On One are surprised and shocked and it’s definitely a one off and they’ll stop it ever happening again. For about 6 months.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

I bought a full build zesty lime in a size medium about a month ago and everything is fine. I’ve altered the seat post height when it first arrived and nothing has moved since I tightened it back up with my torque wrench.

wicki
    Free Member

Started to build the frame up disc mount threads on the fork of a really poor quality and not excepting bolts, Haven’t tried to force it in but contacted PX ….they have asked for pics.

I wonder if this is a new supplier to PX QC would appear to be an issue on this batch.

adam_h
    Free Member

No seat post or thread problems building mine up. Finally got out on a decent ride yesterday.

Built up 1×11 with Shimano 5800 levers, short cage mech and 11-32 cassette, have run a full length outer to rear mech. RS500 cranks with Hope 40t narrow/wide. PX post, bars and stem. Kinesis CX disc wheels and Conti Cyclocross speed tyres. TRP Spyres.

Still playing with bar and stem set up. And yes, I know the bar tape doesn’t match the logos…

I really like how it rides, did 25 miles with about 6 miles on gravel/hardpack. Don’t have many big climbs around here, so thought I’d try it 1×11. May change to a 42 or 44t front ring at some point, will get a few more rides in first.

wicki
    Free Member

Bike looks great! I actually like the silver,

Is that a large?

adam_h
    Free Member

Yep, large.

The thread in forks might just need a tap running through to clear there’s paint or swarf stopping bolt?

cp

Very nice build!

swdan
    Free Member

Very nice, am about to buy a stem and bars for mine and was looking at planet x. What ones did you go for and what size? Have never specced up a bike before, just ridden what I’m given. I’m 6’1″ but have fairly long arms so was thinking of going for a 110mm stem on my large frame

adam_h
    Free Member

I’m running 100mm stem, seat post has 12mm layback, was just one of their cheap ones. Bars, again, are just some cheap PX ones, Strada compacts I think, they’re only a shallow drop which suits me. If it helps, I’m exactly 6ft with fairly long arms.

alanl
    Free Member

On the subject of this frame, what are all the extra tapped holes for?
    And would you put a screw in there to seal them before use?
    There are 2 on the outer legs of the fors, never seen those before- panniers?

richardthird

Very nice Adam 🙂 Saving up for the Kinesis wheels myself.

Bars, the Selcof £20 carbon wrap ones from PX are great. Love the shallow ergo drop and only 250g.

I spent most of the half price frame saving on a pair of tyres. Compass Barlow Pass 38c, there’s a thread running about them. Tubeless 38/45psi. 370g, Sublime. Still at least 10mm more clearance too.

If you ever want a proper fast road tyre that can also handle your sudden darting off down a gravel track or bridleway then these are rather special. Sidewalls are a risk but they’ve handled the roughest SDW descents so far.

SKS 45mm touring guards hanging on the wall ready for winter.

hooli

And I get that the gouge is cosmetic and would be hidden under the clamp, but this is a replacement frame FFS you might think they’d make a bit of effort, especially as they’ve supposedly pulled and inspected ALL their frames?

IMO that is being picky, it is a tiny, hidden cosmetic mark on a £150 frame.

shermer75
    Free Member

On the subject of this frame, what are all the extra tapped holes for?
    And would you put a screw in there to seal them before use?
    There are 2 on the outer legs of the fors, never seen those before- panniers?

My understanding is that they are there so you can mount mudguards without the stays interfering with the brake calliper

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

IMO that is being picky, it is a tiny, hidden cosmetic mark on a £150 frame

I’d already addressed that before anyone else highlighted it, but the point is it’s a £300rrp frame, and a clearly visible defect in the only place they’re expecting me to care about and double-check, and they claimed to have inspected prior to shipping. A quick open of the box, a “oh he’s a fussy bugger best send him a different one” and, oh maybe try a seatpost for fit?

If it was listed as “half price shop soiled” then I’d have gone into the purchase with a different attitude, but they are listing and selling the frame in every other colour as £300 which is consistent with the competition (eg Arkose) and it’s only reduced in silver.

You say I’m picky, IMO there are obviously lot of people buying bikes and frames who have far lower standards than me-there’s plenty of “oh it nipped up fine” replies to which I think come back in 2 years when it’s cracked at the seat tube junction and let us know how P-X are handling it – and I do wonder if people are as accepting of poor quality with other purchases, or is it just cycling, or just brands like P-X?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Yours is a very similar set up to mine Adam although mine is in lime and therefore better 🙂 I only had a 90mm stem lying about when I built mine and it’s a bit twitchy so will fit a 100 or 110mm one I think.

ads678

Still loving mine, but i’m gonna check the seat post thing when I get home. Mines a medium so i’ll see if it’s got any waggle, although the seat post hasn’t moved since fitting it a month or so ago and commuting 16 miles 3 times a week.

It’s really nice to ride, superfast on canal towpaths and i’m really getting used to the drop position on my midge bars. On my road bike i hardly used the drops because i could never get comfy for long periods, but the midge bars being shallower and flared seem really nice. I think this bike fits me better than a full on road bike and i can now vary my commute much more with off road stuff as well.

cookeaa

Also got a Large here, currently part built with a 60mm stem and the same PX strada bars, I’m 5’10 and I’m thinking I might need to go a bit longer and have an 80mm stem, the frame sizes up quite similar to my M/L Merida Road bike, except the front end actually looks a little lower even with 35C tyres on it…

Looks quite “Racey” (sat on the workstand)…

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

For me such a short stem would mean the steering would be too hyperactive – mine feels twitchy at 90mm (also a large frame) so I’d definitely try one longer than 60mm.

jeff

Mine’s all stripped down and ready to go back 🙁

flybywire
    Free Member

Large also at just under 6ft have fitted a 100mm stem and the strada bars are a nice reach. 31.6mm seatpost is slightly loose but no issue.

Has one clearcoated over paint defect on bb shell = no probs, PX deliver value & general good quality imo :-).
    Waiting for mavic wheelset & finishing kit installation to complete (silver/black bar tape looks good).

wicki
    Free Member

I Agree with crashtestmonkey Items need to be fit for purpose, frankly I am sick of cheap Chinese Asian tat being not fit for purpose, Yesterday i purchased a Silverline tap and die set to sort the forks I had to return it as I was not fit for purpose.

A huge transfer of wealth is being sent east at the cost of western jobs for items so shoody as to beggar belife most often people dont complain its like stealing your money.

As to it being a cheap frame it originally was 299 not so cheap had I known the grief I was going to have I would have purchased a Genisis Vapour or CDA at a simalar price but I wanted the particular advantages this frame offered wide clearance 135 mm spacing rack and guard mounts etc I had also like CTM purchased parts that made sending it back for refund awkward.

I doubt I will be returning to PX in the future.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 689 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Planet X London Road frameset for £150’ is closed to new replies.