Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • seat post inner diameter too big, onone scandal?
  • mrslow
    Free Member

Got a new 26er scandal frame from on-one, and started to build it up. Put the seat post in and was a bit surprised that it just dropped freely in the frame. Pulling the post to a sensible height it is clearly free to wobble in the frame. every other bike I’ve owned has had a smug fitting between post and tube. So I checked the post diameter with callipers, and it’s spot on, 27.2 mm, and tried another post, with the same results. Checked the internal diameter of the seat tube and it’s 27.5 mm.

Went back to on-one who arrange to pick up the frame. Just had a mail from them saying that yes the internal diameter is bigger than 27.2, but the reason the post wobbles is that I’ve put it on too far so the end of the post is in a bit of the tube which is wider.

I had noticed the tube widens about 4 inches down, but can’t help thinking this is just an excuse- holding the post at its Max extension point the wobble is even bigger. If the tube were the correct size surely there would be no wobble with four inches of post being held securely even if it were shoved a long way in. Fnar.

Anyway, on-one reckon the frame is ‘within tolerance’, but I still think the post should fit snugly, or there’s a greater risk of frame or post failure. I’d heard good things about on one’s customer care, but feel like I’m being fobbed off.

Opinions?

Jamie
    Free Member

but the reason the post wobbles is that I’ve put it on too far so the end of the post is in a bit of the tube which is wider.

Seems legit…. 😐

rOcKeTdOg

Anyway, on-one reckon the frame is ‘within tolerance’,

they said the same to my buddy and his steel inbred, not at all helpful is it, you’d expect some quality control before they send the frames out

theboatman
    Free Member

Have on one said what they consider their acceptable tolerance is? Or say what they measured it to be?

I used to own a scandal and the seatpost was snug in the frame.

If the top 4 inches of seat tube was the right size then it would not wobble. So yes, it sounds like a fob off to me. But it does seem on one have a habit of finding things customers find unacceptable, acceptable. I know they are cheap, but using bs excuses seems like they are adopting the superstar approach.

If they continue to fob you off and you paid by credit card i’d be tempted to go via them citing faulty goods.

mrslow
    Free Member

you’d expect some quality control before they send the frames out

Sure, and failing that you’d expect to have it sorted if a questionable frame did get out.

Have on one said what they consider their acceptable tolerance is? Or say what they measured it to be?

No, but I have asked. As for cheap, my daughter’s £150 bike from Edinburgh cycles manages to have a correctly sized seat tube. Ok, it might be a tad on the heavy side, but that’s to show her the joy of hard work 🙂

Thankfully I did pay by credit card, but let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. We’ll see.

iainc

So is the frame still with them ? If so you are maybe in a better position to get a refund or replacement ?

brant
    Free Member

I’ll investigate.

STATO
    Free Member

I had noticed the tube widens about 4 inches down,

This is fairly normal.

However, saying that this is the reason the post wobbles, complete carp!

Why does it take brant sorting things personally for on-one to sort out issues, every time!

mrslow
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, appreciate it. Will email you some details.

Will update the thread I’m due course.

MSP

but the reason the post wobbles is that I’ve put it on too far so the end of the post is in a bit of the tube which is wider.

Did they really say that? I mean honestly did they actually say that? Do they really expect customers to be that stupid.

brant
    Free Member

YHM

scandal42
    Free Member

Mine fits totally snug and I wouldn’t be happy to accept anything other than that to be honest, I’m crap at riding as it is without my arse wobbling off 😀

mrslow
    Free Member

Did they really say that?

Yep.

mrslow
    Free Member

Top marks to Brant, who took the time to look into this whilst on a pretty arduous series of long distance flights. Bottom line is that’s the way the frame is, and on-one don’t foresee any problems. However if I’m not happy with that I can have my money back. All in all I think that’s fair enough- there’s not much else they could do in fact!

So make my mind up time. Gonna sleep on it, and sort it out in the morning.

chip
    Free Member

I would personally get my money back.
    First and foremost because I would not be happy with the seat tube as is especially if it started creaking.
    And secondly because of the lame excuse, either the person who you were dealing with thought You are a numpty or he is one.
    It really winds me up if someone tries to BS me.

scotroutes

I’m going to “Favourite” this thread, so I can find it the next time someone asks why other brands charge so much more than On One.

brokensoul
    Free Member

Get your money back. Then, put it towards a frame from a decent manufacturer.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

Take this as you will but there is no way a frame should be that far out. I had a kinesis with a seat tube that measured 27.4mm and despite all my best efforts the seat post would continually drop. I’d like to bet that if you persist with the frame you will find the same thing happening. I can understand the internal dimension increasing further down the seat tube but this should not be the case for the first couple of inches.

brant
    Free Member

Just landed at Manchester. Off to Thailand in 3hrs.

The “27.5mm” measurement is side to side across the seat tube, without a seatclamp fitted.

It doesn’t measure that “front to back” at the side of the seat tube slot.

Clearly the slot allows the tube to flare slightly, which is then tamed by the clamp.

Anyhow.

Andy-R

This is what Coke cans were made for – shim stock, 0.1mm thick 8)
    Make a shim, bond it in place and there’s a 0.2mm reduction in diameter.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘seat post inner diameter too big, onone scandal?’ is closed to new replies.