Home Forums Bike Forum Postage Fail – Consumer Advice …

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Postage Fail – Consumer Advice …
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

I’m off to sunnier climes to go uplifting, and unfortunately my shock pooped itself at the weekend.

It’s a funny metric size and trunnion mount, so my options for a spare in time were limited.

I found a coil shock that would fit.

I ordered the shock from supplier A, and a coil from supplier B. Both on Sunday, and both by next day delivery – so paid a bit more to arrive Tuesday.

Tuesday came – Shock arrived. Coil did not. I got in touch with supplier B this morning who informed me it would be delivered today. I asked for a refund of postage, which they refund only half of (apparently the express delivery part).

As I wasn’t at home today, the postman decided to not deliver it, even though a note was left and a safe place was available – as used by Hermes today. So I need to collect it tomorrow.

So, my window for testing that the coil is actually the right weight has gone – as there’s no time to order a size up or down if its too light/heavy.

So…. What’s actually my rights here with the postage and return? I don’t want the coil, as it’s too late. I’m assuming my contract for sale is with Supplier B not Royal Mail, as they’ve chosen to outsource postage. Therefore they’ve not delivered, so can I return the coil without paying for return postage? And can I claim back the full amount of the next day postage?

It’s a right pain in the hoop, as I don’t leave things to the last minute, but shock destruction didn’t give me much choice. And I thought I’d have a decent amount of time to sort it with the option of next day delivery.

Cheers Chaps – much appreciate the thoughts…

Ricks

submarined
    Free Member

2 pages, 1 episode of toys being ejected, 2 popcorn memes, and 1 Ron Burgundy.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

So if you don’t want the coil now what is plan B?

rickon
    Free Member

Backup plan is to rebuild the bike I have for sale at the moment. Which isn’t what I want to do, but it’s the next best option.

I know from experience that riding a bike that you’d prefer not to takes the edge off the fun for me.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Surely if you don’t collect it will just go back to sender? It’d be goodwill if they refunded return postage I reckon

martinhutch

You have the right to return the coil at your expense for refund within 14 days.

Turning up a couple of days later than you hoped for and subsequently being too close to your holiday doesn’t fall within the remit of consumer rights.

You’ve already been refunded the difference between the postal service you wanted and the one you received.

I guess in hindsight you could have ordered a few coil weights and returned the two that didn’t work for you.

I don’t want the coil, as it’s too late.

But it might be the right one.

monkeyboyjc

You have the right to return the coil at your expense for refund within 14 days.

This^^

You have the right to cancel at any time from the moment you place your online order, and up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods.

You need to notify the retailer of your wish to cancel your order within this time period – by email, for example.

You then have a further 14 days from the date you notify the retailer of your cancellation to return the goods.

rickon
    Free Member

Turning up a couple of days later than you hoped for

Well, I didn’t ‘hope’ I paid for a service that was ‘gaurenteed’ next day before 1pm.

I don’t want the coil, as it’s too late.

But it might be the right one.

Argh! But it might not be, and I have zero time to get another coil.

Stupid time, making all the rules.

nixie

Depending on the site wording you’ve paid for next day delivery not guaranteed next day dispatch. If they dispatched it yesterday then you did in fact get it delivered on a next day service. Aren’t the RM next day services all signed for? I.e. if you weren’t in them it was never going to be delivered.

Those points made you’ve still got your right to return it as above.

bigjim

pedals had pics of fox trunnion shocks on their insta the other day

or might be able to repair your existing one

rickon
    Free Member

It was actually sent on Monday – tracking says so.

I was able to receive it on Tuesday, but not Wednesday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d the guarantee was made by the retailer and you kept your side of the delivery agreement (safe place etc, as per the retailers tncs) then I’d say you have a right to a full refund.

Unlikely tho. And, if you REALLY meant it about checking the weight then you would have ordered at least 2 springs.

rickon
    Free Member

Pedals got in touch direct the other day, but I had the coil on the way by then. They were super helpful, but I thought I had it sorted by then.

rickon
    Free Member

if you REALLY meant it about checking the weight then you would have ordered at least 2 springs.

I was being lean, and ordering what I thought would be the right weight, then depending on how much preload was required to get the right sag, I’d order a heavier or lighter spring. Or just keep the one I had. Given I’d have known on Tuesday, that gave me a good window to get another ordered.

rickon
    Free Member

Well, feels like the answer is ‘suck it up’.

Props to Pedals in Edinburgh for contacting me to try and help, and props to Missing Link in Droitwich for Evil bikes suspension setup help.

Can’t end the thread like that though.

monkeyboyjc

I run a post office, you can have the tracking show up on a Monday and have a special delivery delivered on a Tuesday. It just needs to be brought in after the final collection. Ours is 3.50pm so any special brought in after this would be picked up on the first collection the next day.
    Also, I think, that unless the special delivery is over 2 or 3 days late you only get a partial refund like the OP has received. But that come from royal mail, not post office so I’m not sure….

martinhutch

The likelihood of anything arriving on time is always inversely proportional to how desperately I need it.

Fork for six months’ time – arrives next day. Tiny widget or screw I need to ride the day after tomorrow – arrives following week.

rickon
    Free Member

The likelihood of anything arriving on time is always inversely proportional to how desperately I need it.

Fork for six months’ time – arrives next day. Tiny widget or screw I need to ride the day after tomorrow – arrives following week.

That’s so true 🤣😂😢

cynic-al
    Free Member

Given I’d have known on Tuesday, that gave me a good window to get another ordered.

Properly optimistic.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

If you pay with PayPal they offer 12 free returns a year, hence I buy the majority of stuff via PayPal . Good tip for the future
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/returns-on-paypal

No: Common sense as to use a credit card for consumer protection on big ticket items

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

If it was sent by Special Delivery Royal Mail you need it to be signed for and you can not leave a special delivery in a safe place I am sure people do but in a lot of cases people have lost there job over that I would always put a card through the door same goes you can not leave it with next door either.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

ha, Sods law always

taxi25
    Free Member

Still don’t understand why the OP doesn’t try the spring to see if its the right one, whats to loose ? If it’s the right one the problem instantly goes away!!

rickon
    Free Member

Still don’t understand why the OP doesn’t try the spring to see if its the right one, whats to loose ? If it’s the right one the problem instantly goes away!!

Well, I did do just that. Decided the risk of losing £40 was less than the opportunity of riding my bike in Malaga.

It appears to be the right weight.

martinhutch

Good news! Now you can look forward to the last minute failure of another part…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Postage Fail – Consumer Advice …’ is closed to new replies.