Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,071 total)
  • Petrol and diesel set to be the new bog roll. Road Warriors unite! 🚙
  • burko73

Not judging and just using it as an example – but assuming that the round trip in the car from London to Cannock is to ride a bike round a circuit does make you think we haven’t quite got this right have we? I know relatively there are plenty worse things. Perhaps we need better bike parks in the chilterns!

ButtonMoon

Amazon should start delivering fuel boxes with the bog roll!

nickc

Well, one was in Aviemore

That doesn’t surprise me. I think it’ll probably be the rural or more remote from the supply hub that’ll be in the back of the queue for planning deliveries.

martinhutch

Sunlit uplands and blue passports.

What more do you lot expect?

FTFY.

doris5000

my car reckons it’s got about 400 miles worth in the tank. Which should last me til about the end of October.

So hopefully it’s all calmed down by then!

zippykona

The queue wasn’t too bad as I panic bought fuel this morning. It was getting longer though and jerry cans were in evidence.
    # crisis what crisis? #
    # winter of discontent #

jambourgie
    Free Member

Just been out panic buying fuel. Can confirm, my local Shell was slightly busier than usual. No queue at all, but one usually has a choice of pumps and today there was only one or two available!

It’s hell out there.

kayla1
    Free Member

Didn’t a woman blow her eyebrows off or something after filling Tupperwares up with petrol during the last fuel panic-buy?

johnners
    Free Member

So how many people posting on this thread are filling up a bit earlier than they otherwise might because they’re worried about “the public” panicking?

johnners
    Free Member

Well, one was in Aviemore

And one was in Sherborne, according to the news last night. Just 3 more to find!

martinhutch

It’s easy to criticise panic-buying, but there is a snowball effect as soon as it starts. I have to get my lad and all his stuff to uni on Sunday, so I filled up this morning in case there is a problem by the weekend, thus becoming part of the problem…

It’s like people who moan about traffic while sitting in a queue. And why it is the job of government to maintain confidence in the supply chain, because as soon as there is a hint of doubt, human behaviour will take over.

dissonance

So how many people posting on this thread are filling up a bit earlier than they otherwise might because they’re worried about “the public” panicking?

Nope.
    It is the problem though. At a certain point, if you will be needing the panic commodity soon, then it becomes rational to join in. Although just with the topping up the tank rather than filling a bin with it.
    I do have some concerns for this weekend where I have a long drive. As it happens not far off full but will have look to fill up on the way since wont be far off empty when I get there. Hopefully the panic buyers will have got bored by the end of the day and there will be enough deliveries to allow things to recover.

The media really deserve a slap for stoking the panic. Turning a “there may be minor disruptions at a handful of stations and you might need to pop to the next one” into a “PANIC. No we said dont PANIC”.

longdog
    Free Member

Being at the end of the supply chain in Shetland it is a bit worrying. Though bloody annoying as most of the oil and gas comes through here, it’s just not processed for fuel here 🙄

Drac

No, I woke up this am to find mine had been fully fuelled overnight

jambourgie
    Free Member

I don’t even drive. I just wanted some petrol because everyone else wanted it and why should I go without. Eh?

sobriety
    Free Member

Yesterday was a crap day for the fuel light to come on – made me look like a panic buyer when I shoved in £50.01 (dammit!) worth of derv this morning.

fettlin

One BP was in Worcester, saw a camera crew setting up outside as we drove past yesterday evening. Tbf, the garage we went to to fill up (needed it, we were in the redest of the red!) had plenty, 2 miles away.

johnners
    Free Member

Yesterday was a crap day for the fuel light to come on – made me look like a panic buyer when I shoved in £50.01 (dammit!) worth of derv this morning.

Amateur effort. The real panic buyers are topping up their tanks with £4.37 worth and filling up their tupperware.

mrchrispy

ordered a e-nero last week….arrives next Friday \o/
    Chrispy finally lands on the right side of a government made crisis.
    🙂

kayla1
    Free Member

Nope. We stuck £15 in yesterday cos we were out and about anyway and that’ll have to last as long as it needs to. We’re lucky in that we work from home (have done for the last 10-odd years) and Lidl’s only a mile or so away though.

Dickyboy

There be people queuing for fuel at the local tesco, at least a couple of them had the sense to turn back instead of blocking the roundabout as well…

Fingers crossed there’ll be plenty of esso synergy supreme locally to keep the old cars and bikes running at Kop Hill this w/e

crazy-legs

Yeah, I hate having my car in the red but equally if I can avoid spending £60 in one go I will do and because I rarely drive much it’s quite easy for it just to gradually trickle down or be left on 1/4 tank for ages before it needs filling. I should go back to how I used to run it when I drove more which was routinely filling it up from half full, specifically to avoid situations of being out in the back of beyond and limited to only a couple of expensive petrol stations.

And then you get into the efficiency arguments about carrying a full tank of fuel around with you…

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope – we don’t have anywhere to go that is urgent, we have a reasonable amount of fuel in both cars (and I did just fill a jerry can but that was ‘cos I had run out of fuel for the mower and the grass needs doing).

But I can 100% see why people will now start filling up ‘just in case’. It is human nature.

oldtennisshoes

I might go and charge the motor up at the free charge place scotland charger down the road and have a coffee whilst I wait #smug

doris5000

And then you get into the efficiency arguments about carrying a full tank of fuel around with you…

Oh hi dad, didn’t know you were on STW?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Are petrol prices at £2 a litre yet?

Thankfully one bullet I can dodge, in all the good news of sunny UK uplands coiming home to roost recently.

scotroutes

Aviemore

Sherborne

Worcester

Can we find three more?

martinhutch

Oh hi dad, didn’t know you were on STW?

Roll your window up! Don’t you know what that does to your fuel economy?

Kryton57

Not me. Mrs K put £15 of diesel in hers to get through the next 2 weeks of school runs and £30 will do mine for the weekend return trip to Cannock.

fossy

My car’s been empty for a week. I need fuel for next weekends lads MTB weekend in Wales though. I’ll just have to cycle to work again, like this week.

jamesoz

Fuel light is flashing as it has been since we returned from Scotland Monday and mine is somewhere near the red, although that only vaguely indicates level depending on it’s mood.

zilog6128

Apparently every petrol station locally has massive queues this morning so I guess the “don’t panic buy” message didn’t get through here! I’ve got half a tank of diesel & no need to drive anywhere for the next couple of weeks at least so will probably just sit this one out 😃

Sandwich

No, I woke up this am to find mine had been fully fuelled overnight

What it is to have staff! Is that you Flashheart? ICMFP

EDIT: In other news supplies of popcorn are said to be running low in mainland Europe!

Flaperon

For info, you can go at least 30 miles past the trip computer “point of no return” on a Volvo V90 diesel. Fuel pump makes an unpleasant noise though.

Have an electric car now. Was smug when it snowed and I had winter tyres fitted but this is new level of smugness.

Smug Mode Engaged

Drac

What it is to have staff! Is that you Flashheart?

No, I plugged it in last night and it was fully charged this am.

singletrackmind

Just been to dosome shopping
    I can confirm panic buying in full effect in Hampshire
    4 petrol stations, all queues out and down the road
    Maybe 6 to 10 cars in each direction. Plus a rammed forcourt with 10 + cars fuelling up.
    This then extends a traffic jam for maybe 100yrds in each direction as you cannot overtake as the queue waiting in the oncoming lane has made that stationary too.

Needless to say i added to this by driving when i could have ridden to the shops and filling up with 60ltr of dino juice

I can pretty confidently say there will be empty petrol stations in the wilds of Hampshire by the end of the day

And its mostly old codgers,who are retired and me on my week off work

johnners
    Free Member

Have you got an EV then Drac?

Only I don’t think you’ve mentioned it before.

retro83
    Free Member

Only I don’t think you’ve mentioned it before.

🤭

JonEdwards
    Free Member

15 minute wait to get fuel at Sainsburys in Sheffield. Similar size queue outside the Tesco. I’ve got to go to Birmingham for work on Sunday – had enough in the tank to get me there, but not home again.
    (Would be much nicer to take the train, but I need to take my own bodyweight’s worth of tools and equipment with me).

I reckon by this evening there *will* be a fuel crisis…!

binners

I reckon by this evening there *will* be a fuel crisis…!

We’re very likely there already.

I wonder how many people filling up are still working from home? I couldn’t give a monkeys about how much petrol is in my car as it barely moves nowadays anyway

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 1,071 total)

The topic ‘Petrol and diesel set to be the new bog roll. Road Warriors unite! 🚙’ is closed to new replies.