Home Forums Bike Forum Oil loss from air bleed buttons on Fox 36 2022

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Oil loss from air bleed buttons on Fox 36 2022
  • jules99
    Free Member

Hi. I just got a new bike delivered and the air bleed button on the right leg of the Fox 36 forks was pressed against the box. There’s a slick of oil on the box where it has leaked from the valve in transit. While I understand it’s normal for some oil to come out, is it likely that I’d have lost enough of the oil that I shouldn’t ride it? Is there an easy way to remedy this without sending it back to the supplier or fox as they have offered?
    Keen to just get out and ride the bike but I don’t want to do that if it’s going to cause permanent damage, so any advice appreciated.

mashr

Its not a bad idea to do a lower leg service on a new fork anyway (as it could well be a year since it was put together). If you do that, you’ll know for certain that both legs have the right amount in and the added benefit of knowing the foam rings are nice and oily and all the right bits are greased as they should be. You could be up and running in no time if you have the oil to hand, otherwise ask the shop to send some.

That’d be my approach anyway

Onzadog
    Free Member

Agree with above. I always drop the lowers on a new fork.

zerocool

Too many years of RS forks being sent out without snout oil in them means that I now always drop the lowers and check forks. Also modern forks seem to be designed to use so little oil in them compared to the good old days of open bath forks. Still don my really understand why they went away from them.

sobriety
    Free Member

Still don my really understand why they went away from them.

Weight, mostly, and the cynic in me says that selling forks that eat themselves if you don’t service them religously is better for aftermarket sales than selling forks that go boing-squelch for years without needing to be touched.

jules99
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Yep, reluctant to send it back just for this as more likely to get more damaged in transit. I’ll ask if they’ll supply some oil but not too hopeful. Looks like it’s a simple job to replace the oil once I have it in any case. Would be interested to know if this happens a lot. Are people finding that forks with air bleeder run low on bath oil quickly?

b33k34

Has been no sign of any oil from mine in 1000+ miles of riding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Oil loss from air bleed buttons on Fox 36 2022’ is closed to new replies.